Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Is VDC worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 11:13 PM
prisoner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is VDC worth it?

I am looking to get a ethusiast or performance Z. I don't know if I want to spend the extra for the VDC I have heard it is good for the curves, and thats what I care about the most. Does anyone know if VDC is really worth it?

and also, thank you all for the great info on this site!

Last edited by prisoner; 03-16-2003 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:11 AM
supra crazy

unless you really know how to handle the car like a pro race car driver YES
or if you dont drive realy hard you wont need it but in the rain its a good thing to have
Old 03-17-2003, 09:03 AM
slay2k

I agree.

I'm 100% happy that I got the perf. model with VDC, cause I woulda wrecked this car a LONG time ago if I didn't.

It's very easy to spin the rear out unless you know all about racing dynamics, oversteer, understeer, apexes, etc.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:06 PM
BurnOutz

Don't you have the option to turn it off if you ever wanted to. So in reality, you have the option to have the VDC help control the car or to just leave everything up to your own driving skills.
Old 03-17-2003, 04:37 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

dont you still have traction control?
Old 03-17-2003, 05:32 PM
zogan

what the difference between vdc and TCS???
Old 03-17-2003, 06:53 PM
FlyingToaster

Traction control only looks at the speed that the wheels turn, and if there is a differential, which would be picked up by the ABS sensors, it cuts off power or applies brakes.

VDC on the other hand is more sophisticated as it also looks at the forward movement, the yaw of the car, and the direction that the front wheels are pointed to determine if the car is out of control or not. Based on pre-determined algorithms, if it needs to intervene, it is able to apply individual brakes to bring all of those parameters in to "normal," in addition to adjusting throttle input.

If anyone does not have a good amount of "car control" clinics or lessons under their belt, do not think of it; just get it.

FT!
Old 03-17-2003, 06:58 PM
cultcar

I've been to the track and I've driven over 7000 miles that include a lot of rain and back roads. VDC not only helps driving out of a corner as you are accelerating, it actually can help if you are going into a turn with too much speed and need to continue braking. This is a phenomenal addition to electronic handling control technology. While this is a situation that no trained driver would let happen, the average person might during conditions of street driving. It is training wheels for the inexperienced.

It's found on other high end sport cars like the BMW M3 and Corvette Z06. But, you get it for $31K, not $50K! VDC is a higher level of control than TCS. It does use TCS, ABS, and EBD, all working together.

You can talk about sport car assets like all-wheel drive, lots of power, high-tech chassis, 6-speed transmission, huge brakes, ultra-light wheels, but nothing is worth the money more than the control and safety that VDC brings.

I have a detailed article that I can send you or could post if anyone is interested.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:10 PM
prisoner

Please post it. This has been helpfull because I am not a very experience driver. Thank you
Old 03-17-2003, 07:26 PM
lEtMeZ1

Yeah , what he said
please post lol
Old 03-17-2003, 08:00 PM
Ohio350z

The biggest thing is having traction control, the car is super easy to handel and with TCS ans Antilock brakes I have had no problem with the car in both winter and summer conditions. I don't know if the VDC is worth the money.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:44 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing about VDC to remember is that it can only correct within the limits of physics. Therefore, you will still need to be careful when driving on the street. Because of that, you will probably very rarely use the VDC. However, who can know what would have happened if you did not have VDC on at that time.

The other thing about VDC is that it kicks in early and aggressively. It also stays on for a little while, so it is impossible to get on the throttle quickly if you go too hard into a corner. You will definitely be turning it off at the track or AutoX (unless you are not trying to get competitive times and are instead just having fun).

Finally, there are plenty of less stable cars out there that do not have VDC. The Z understeers as it is, which makes the VDC less necessary than in some of the older 911's, which didn't have it anyway. S2000's have no form of traction control or VDC, and are better balanced than the Z and are therefore more likely to oversteer.

In the end, it comes down to what you are using your car for and how necessary you feel that extra bit of safety is. I personally got the performance version because I liked the 18" wheels, tire pressure sensors, and the VDC, yet I've only had the VDC engage once on the street and that happened in a situation that didn't really require it (low speed corner where I would have simply plowed a bit before getting back on track). When I AutoX I always turn it off (if I remember), and even in the rain I was able to beat my VDC on time when I turn VDC off.

I think that if you want it to save you on the street when you are driving beyound your capabilities, or if you expect to feel it activating frequently as you fly around corners, then you are not really understanding its capabilities and limitations. Even with VDC you will still need to maintain control and be aware of the situation, but it does give you a bit of a margin of safety that in that one instance can be the difference between a serious crash and a near miss.

I personally don't feel the need for it, but I'm glad to know it's there. For me, it's not worth the money on its own, but rather is a nice bonus when included with the other features of the performance model.

One thing to try is to go on a test drive and go to a large, empty parking lot. Drive the Z in a circle in first or second gear so you are going pretty quickly and try out different things. Gradually speed up until the VDC turns on due to understeer. Slow down so VDC is not ative and then step hard on the gas to try and bring the rear around. See how the VDC responds. Then turn VDC off and feel the difference. You'll get an idea of how the car will perform in either case and it may help you decide whether or not you think the VDC is worth it.

In my opinion it really is a personal decision.

Good Luck!

-D'oh!
Old 03-17-2003, 10:20 PM
prisoner

Damn, all this info has been so great.

I just don't know what to get. A new Enthusiast, right now or wait a few months to find a slightly used permormance model.

all i know is that i want my Z!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2003, 10:25 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

mine always turns on
i've been turning it off alot lately
thats waht i get for drifting
but when you finally get rwd you understand waht the 240 guys are talking about
Old 03-17-2003, 11:01 PM
djlynch

Never had it on any car, and my base handles like no car I have ever been in, driving or riding.

Might not be AS GOOD as one that is VDC equipped, but for me it is all I need.
Old 03-18-2003, 07:02 AM
cultcar

Electronic Chassis Control on the 350Z

Control affects handling performance above all else. When you make a sudden maneuver, control is critical. It's also important in bad weather or on rough roads, especially on unpredictable road surfaces. Even under normal conditions - on straightaways and turns or during braking and acceleration - control determines handling performance. And the bottom line is, the level of control depends on your driving skill. But now the 350Z handling technology offers significantly more control for every driver in every situation, regardless of skill. It intervenes when needed until your Z has regained its stability. In this way it makes the Z's handling performance safer all round and enables you to enjoy maximum driving pleasure at a high level of safety. In the real everyday world, it helps you avoid emergency situations and even helps reduce drive effort, stress, and fatigue while driving in adverse weather conditions.

The 350Z has four electronic chassis control systems, depending on which model you own, with each system building upon the functions of the others.

ABS - Anti-lock Braking System - this system is on all models
EBD - Electronic Brake-force Distribution - this system is on all models
TCS - Traction Control System - found on both Enthusiast, Performance, Track, and both Touring models
VDC - Vehicle Dynamic Control - found on Performance, Track, and only Touring with the 6MT

The systems are supported by inputs from sensors that continuously provide information on the vehicle's current state of motion and on your intended vehicle response. By monitoring the difference between the desired and actual motions, vehicle response can be brought closer to the desired response under all road conditions.

Three sensors determine your desired vehicle response:

1. Accelerator pedal position sensor - determines the position of the throttle, from which the desired level of vehicle acceleration can be determined
2. Brake fluid pressure sensor - indicates driver's braking and the desired level of vehicle deceleration
3. Steering angle sensor - determines the angle of the steering wheel and the desired rate of turning

Remaining sensors are used to determine the actual operating condition. In this integrated system, inputs from these sensors trigger responses from controllers to help you maintain control:

1. Vehicle speed sensor (VSS)
2. Engine speed sensor - measures RPMs
3. Wheel sensors (4) - determine rotational velocities of each wheel
4. Yaw rate sensor - measures the vehicle's angular velocity about its vertical axis; Used by the VDC; Located inside the center console just behind the shift arm
5. Side G sensor - provides the actual lateral acceleration of the vehicle, which is indicative of surface coefficient of adhesion; Used by the VDC; Located in the center console just behind the shift arm
6. Transmission gear sensor

The heart of the chassis control system is the VDC / TCS / ABS Control Unit, located under the driver's dash just behind the steering column. All sensors signal the control unit via the onboard Controller Area Network (CAN) communication system.

VDC Function
The Vehicle Dynamic Control system is the most advanced system. It utilizes all of the other systems to perform its work in retaining cornering and directional stability. It enables the Z to be handled at the limits of adhesion during cornering, acceleration and braking with greatly improved control, providing safer, smoother driving under all conditions. For example, you may enter a corner at what you think is the correct speed, but then realize halfway round that your speed is excessive for the road surface. This forces you to overcompensate and lose traction. Excessive speed on slippery road surfaces can also lead to the car spinning out or even overshooting a corner. VDC reduces the possibility of such overreactions, assisting the driver to maintain control and avoid accidents.

The major difference between VDC and the ABS+TCS systems is the motion element being controlled. VDC offers 2-dimensional control as opposed to the 1-dimensional control provided by ABS+TCS. The ABS+TCS system senses your Z's speed and acceleration in a straight line only, and uses these data to control braking and driving forces in order to prevent loss of traction. By contrast, the VDC system provides 2-dimensional control by also sensing the transversal movement of the vehicle and its yaw (rotation around the perpendicular axis). It uses these data to predict the vehicle's direction in 2 dimensions and to control it within safe limits.

The VDC system recognizes the course you wish to take by monitoring your steering amount and brake operation amount via the steering angle sensor and brake fluid pressure sensor. The Z's actual driving status (amount of understeering / oversteering) is determined from information from the yaw rate sensor / side G sensor, and wheel sensors. The yaw rate sensors keep track of the direction in which the car is moving relative to which way you are turning the steering wheel. When the sensors detect understeer or oversteer -- conditions in which the Z is not going in the direction that the front wheels are pointed - the Control Unit takes over by controlling the braking and engine power to all four wheels to minimize the difference between your desired course and the Z's actual course. The system can apply only the brake on one specific wheel if that's what is needed to regain control and stability.

In case of VDC trouble, the VDC OFF indicator lamp and SLIP indicator lamp are turned on. The vehicle then operates the same as vehicles without VDC equipment. ABS and EBD control continue to operate normally without VDC control.

TCS Function
The Traction Control System utilizes the ABS actuator and electric unit to detect the wheel spin of the drive wheels. Vehicle speed is calculated using signals from all four wheel sensors and should match the speedometer display. When wheel spin occurs, a mismatch is detected, and the amount of wheel spin is reduced by controlling the hydraulic brakes on the right and left rear wheels, cutting the fuel to the engine, and partially closing the throttle valve which reduces air intake, thereby reducing engine torque.

Depending on road circumstances, the driver may have a sluggish feel. This is normal, because the optimum traction has the highest priority under TCS operation. TCS may be activated any time the vehicle suddenly accelerates, suddenly downshifts, or is driven on a road with a varying surface friction coefficient, usually from rain, snow, mud, or loose gravel.

In case of TCS trouble, the TCS (or VDC) OFF indicator lamp and SLIP indicator lamp are turned on. The vehicle then operates the same as vehicles without VDC / TCS equipment. ABS and EBD control continue to operate normally without VDC / TCS control.

ABS Function
The Anti-Lock Brake System is a function that detects wheel revolution while braking, and it improves handling stability during sudden braking by electrically preventing four-wheel lock. Maneuverability is also improved for avoiding obstacles.

ABS is permanently engaged. If it has problems, the ABS warning lamp turns on. Also, if equipped with TCS or VDC, the TCS (or VDC) OFF and SLIP indicator lamps will turn on. The vehicle will then behave the same as a vehicle without VDC / TCS / ABS equipment. Note that EBD control continues to function.

EBD Function
Electronic Brake-force Distribution and ABS constitute one unit inasmuch as they share a number of the same parts. To optimize the effect of the brakes, EBD distributes the correct amount of force to the front and rear axle respectively. It is sensitive to the load distribution in the car and, unlike a traditional reduction valve, it does not reduce the total amount of available braking power. It detects subtle slippages between the front and rear wheels during braking, and it improves handling stability by electronically controlling the brake fluid pressure, which results in reduced rear wheel slippage. Under normal conditions it prevents the rear end from braking away because of over-braking. The system also counteracts "fading" as a result of overheating and promotes increased brake pad life.

EBD is permanently engaged. If it has problems, the ABS warning lamp and brake (EBD) warning lamp are turned on. Also, if equipped, the TCS (or VDC) OFF and SLIP indicator lamps will turn on. The vehicle will then act the same as a vehicle without VDC / TCS / ABS and EBD equipment.

Factors to Keep in Mind
While these are sophisticated systems, proper functioning depends on you to perform simple maintenance. If the brake fluid is low, the VDC will signal a failure condition. If the tire pressures are wrong or inconsistent, effectiveness is compromised. Tire wear or improper size can also hinder their ability. And, worn or improper brake pads can reduce their performance.

Remember that passive safety systems like seatbelts or airbags protect you once an accident has already happened. The electronic chassis controls of the Nissan 350Z are an active safety system that help to prevent accidents. They will be there when you need them. And when you don't want a bunch of Nissan engineers driving your car for you, just turn off the TCS / VDC switch!

Assuming a responsible style of driving, this technology helps you to keep your Z under control at all times. It recognizes the course desired and the car's reactions. It increases vehicle control in situations near the Z's limits. It reduces the risk of skidding and helps to keep the Z on course. However, it cannot suspend or extend limits imposed by the laws of physics. If you exceed the capabilities of the Z's suspension system and electronic chassis control systems, nothing can prevent loss of control and an accident.
Old 03-26-2003, 11:22 AM
Welsh 350Z N

Wow ! Not much I can add but to say that VDC is state-of-art tech. and is not only valuable for a driver that may lack a certain level of skill, it improves the performance of the car whatever your abilities. The chassis of the 350 is one of the main elements that allows it faster track times than the 911 and M3 even though they are slightly quicker 0-60 and have higher top end - the VDC has a role to play there. As others have pointed out it's not the only diff. between Enth. and Perf. and the extra $'s are worth spending if you can. Either way you go - you still get the best car on the road today $ for $ !
Old 03-26-2003, 04:27 PM
3rdpower

VDC = Saved My ***
Old 03-26-2003, 05:14 PM
ihatethatbobbarker

all you need is TCS
Old 03-26-2003, 06:28 PM
TJZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by prisoner
Damn, all this info has been so great.

I just don't know what to get. A new Enthusiast, right now or wait a few months to find a slightly used permormance model.

all i know is that i want my Z!!!!!!
I would not get a used car just to get the vdc. If you like all the other options and want an extra bonus (like somebody put it) then go ahead. However, i wouldnt sacrifice being able to get NEW car and break it in yourself just for the vdc. I have a base model and do just fine w/o it. If i had it, im sure i wouldnt mind it being there, but i dont miss it.

Quick Reply: Is VDC worth it?