Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Aftermarket LSD and VDC

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 07:08 PM
bleunetizen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aftermarket LSD and VDC

My CuscoRS and Central20 gears are arriving in a few days.. and I was just wonderng, if the LSD would upset the VDC.

I am guessing that the reason why nissan chose low lock rate viscous lsd for z33 was to keep vdc more 'effective', cuz older nissan cars (s15, facelift r34gtt) came with helical lsd from nissan (but low lock rate, still at least so much better than their viscous units).

I do however tend to drive with VDC on unless I go REALLY hard on it because it will punish me and make me slow down if I apply too much gas or turn in to quick causing understeer, i think it helps me learn to drive fast smoothly so dont give me 'if you need VDC you cant drive' crap (of course unless you intend to shake the rear end slightly.. but i dont think the brake system in z33 lets me lose rear grip easily from braking and turning in even with the VDC turned off)

Since higher lock rated LSD's make car go understeer more, I am wondering if the VDC will kick in so much because of that

Those aftermarket LSD users out there, I look forward to ur answers
Old 11-05-2006, 05:39 AM
bullseye

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure my answer measures up to the technical standard established in your original post, but my feeling is the threshold parameters at which VDC kicks-in (yaw rate, steering wheel angle, wheel speed etc.) are the same as before. However, my VDC generally kicks-in at higher speeds now, because my Quaife diff improves grip compared to the stock, open diff. These systems don't seem to fight/confuse each other. Instead, they seem to work together.

For example, given similar road conditions, my Quaife allows me to carry more speed through a corner before VDC intervenes, because it takes more speed to initiate oversteer. Exiting the corner, I can get back on the gas sooner, because it takes more torque to make the tires lose traction. Hope that helps.

Last edited by bullseye; 11-05-2006 at 05:43 AM.