Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 12:11 PM
98sr20ve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I guess no one know if the Rev Up engine has a PCV/EGR rsystem. Trust me guys. If it does not, this is bad, very bad. If the ecu is using the VTT to mimic the function of the PCV/EGR then we could have our cat material being sucked up into our engines scoring your cylinders. This is exactly what happened to the QR25DE and its version of VTC or VTT whatever you want to call it.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:14 PM
98sr20ve

I talked to my local dealer today. He was well aware of the issues with the QR25DE and he confirmed that the Rev Up engine does not have an EGR system and it DOES use the VTC (or whatever Nissan wants to call it this time around on the 350Z) to perform the EGR function. For those that don’t know that means, instead of a valve/tube connected to the exhaust manifold and then also the intake manifold to recirculate exhaust to help emission at times it uses cam timing to create a vacuum to perform the same function. In the QR25DE this resulted in the close coupled catalytic converter material being sucked back into the engine past the exhaust valve. When you hear Nissan talking about reprogramming the ECU to solve this issue then it’s a possibility that they are reprogramming when and how the VTC performs that function. I know if I had a car that was burning oil and steadily getting worse the first thing I would do is a compression test. If it did not pass this then a oil consumption test is pretty pointless. They could simply scope into the engine and look for any scoring on the cylinder walls. I know that I may be discarding my close coupled cats if I hear that VTC is in any way the cause of these issues. To be clear I would never get rid of all my cats, just the one that is very close to the head and breaks down very quickly as a result of all the heat from being so close. All the above is just a theory based on my limited knowledge of the QR25DE issues. I may be wrong, I may be the “a little knowledge is a dangerous things” but it would never hurt to do a compression test anyway.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:41 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by dbasal
OK. It was your post that I remember then .

I was trying to write this down as fast as he was talking, but it was hard to keep up. He mentioned something about crank gauge pressure and that the oil was blowing through upon downshifting.

I am curious though. I thought I read somewhere that the VVT does not kick in until a certain rpm. When I downshift, I typically do it as the engine is coming down through 2000 rpm. Once into the lower gear, the engine never exceeds 3000 rpm.

I know you have been going through quite a lot of oil each test. How is it looking this time around?
Haven't had the heart to check... I've got about another 250 miles or so now so I'll check it this weekend to see where the dipstick is. I haven't seen/heard any of the prior symptoms so I guess that's good.. but it's also bad because I want to know for sure it's not a problem when I start with some of these mods.
Old 01-19-2007, 07:02 PM
doctorshumes

Do the 03-05 models and the 06 AT models have a EGR or use VVT....OR...is it just the Rev-up 06 MT? Has anyone had the ECU "reprogramming" with any success in regard to decreased oil consumption. One could always Dino the car the day prior, get the ECU reprogramming, and then dyno the car again a day later. Day to day temperature and humidity should have only a minor impact on power readings as long as they are close. At this point I would be willing to loose 5-10 HP for zero oil consumption. I already have the popcharger and Nismo exhaust so we can call it even. If this VVT substitute for the EGR is in fact damaging the engine secondary to the close cat, it will be coming off very shortly. Either way, the only reason im not freakin out is I plan to have the engine rebuilt by forged performance in 3 years or so.....If the enginr lasts that long. Otherwise, it would be a very hard decision whether or not to keep the car after 60K miles and the warranty is up. You would just have to be willing to chance replacing/rebuilding the engine I guess.
Old 01-19-2007, 08:18 PM
98sr20ve

I talked to my Infiniti dealer today. He confirmed that the Rev Up does not have EGR. Any ecu reprogram would not effect HP. It would just effect when the ecu triggers the egr function. This normally happens at idle.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:14 AM
doctorshumes

Nissan has still not issued an official TSB on the reprogramming. I guess they are waiting to see if it works. It would be interesting to see if anyone here has had it done and would like to comment on any changes, power and especially oil consumption. Does the revup engine have a close coupled cat to worry about? I would take mine in and have it reprogrammed but it would be a pain in the *** to remove the Nismo exhaust and put the stock one back on. I guess I will have to wait until Nissan hopefully comes out with an official TSB or my oil consumption worsens.

Also, the duty cycling (time on vs off) of a typical EGR is controlled by the amount of time spent at idle or cruising. A lot of VW TDI diesel guys (previously what I owned) had issues with the EGR because it would introduce soot into the inake manifold. Needless to say in about 1-2 years it would get very clogged. THerefore many people looked into how to "decrease" the EGR. Some did it by disconnecting the vacuume line, but that = Engine Check Light. Some did it by putting a resister with a switch in the electrical line. Finially, someone figured out that if you had the OBD II software you could electronically decrease the duty cycle tremendously. This is what I did and it did work. Basically, the reason why people see less oil consumption with aggressive diving, less time at idle, and less cruising is because the "EGR" function of the VVT should be turned off with acceleration to allow maximum power production with cleaner air in and maximum flow through the exhaust and not a backwards suction. If this is the reason for oil consumption, then a reprogramming of the ECU for the VVT-EGR function that decreases the duty cycle of the EGR should not only decrease the oil consumption, but should also increase power minimally. The EPA may not be happy, but at that point Nissan would have to essentially develop a new EGR system on our engines (unlikely) or just replace every 06 MT Revup engine with a new engine probably not designed yet (If the EPA forces them to that is). They then may try to give us the non Revup 286 HP engine. I wonder if the 07 engine uses VVT to do the same EGR function and if so are they going to have the same problems. It would be nice to get an 07 HR engine, but our hood would need to changed due to the clearance issues.

Sounds like if reprogramming the VVT-EGR duty cycle works and the EPA doenst now it (shhhhh) this will be the easiest solution.
Old 01-21-2007, 09:32 AM
98sr20ve

For what it's worth, My service writer talked with the Infiniti master tech at the dealership and said that all the modern Ininiti's do not have EGR but use cam timing to perform the function. Also, nearly every car made now a days has a close coupled cat. It's the only way to pass the "warm up" portion of the emmission test.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:53 PM
doctorshumes

Default Official Tsb??

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...RefNo=NTB06079

could this be an official tsb in regard adjusting the VVT due to oil consumption. Would be nice to read the whole thing. Anyone work at a dealership and can get your hands on it??
Old 01-22-2007, 07:31 AM
behjjeh
Vendor - Former Vendor

anybody got a new 07 Z instaed of new engine..

thanks
Old 01-22-2007, 07:52 AM
bofa

Not that I've heard of... most of us are having a hard enough time getting a new 06 engine.

Getting an 07 engine is highly unlikely... but I wouldn't mind.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:40 AM
ZPHILE

Default 2nd interval - 700mi consumption test results w/dino-oil

This 2nd reading was my worst ever (that's regardless of syn or conventional)!!!! Brought it in at 624mi and lost 1Qt!!! Acutually, I was surprised due to checking the dipstick myself before and after Nissan does. It looked like about .25Qt down again. Oh well! Car seems to drive the same though. Nissan needs to get the solution! BTW - heard in the background at service another '06 owner that had her engine replaced there. She was back and still having problems. Don't think she was past the break in (not sure). She was assured - "the new engine has all the fixes" - yeah right!!! Will update with the 'final' 700mi test. Good luck and good updating guys!
Old 01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
arejohn

If downshifting is causing the oil consumption could it be coming down the valve guides?

This sounds like the tire noise and wear issue that Nissan continues to attribute to anything but design error. Nissan must know about the problem- has had more than enough time to determine the root cause and will continue to keep you in the dark and feed you minure until their engineers have had time to develope a cost effective (cheap) change to mask the problme.

If you remember Nissan did not really address the tire issue until some guy in NY got the local TV station to make a visit. Many of us owe this guy and I think the CBS affiliate BIG thanks.
Old 01-24-2007, 10:55 AM
RBlover69

i have a question , is this limitied due to synthetic oil being used or, reg oil. I wouldnt want to have this problem changing to syn on the revup and nissan say its due to aftermarket oil that this is occuring due to seals etc. And oil coupling.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:15 AM
doctorshumes

I really dont think the type of oil matters much. You might use less oil with dino vs synthetic but it still doesnt fix the problem. Also, has anyone heard any additional info from dealers or elsewhere on any proposed fixes....other then a new engine.

Last edited by doctorshumes; 02-06-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:28 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
I really dont think the type of oil matterns much. You might use less oil with dino vs synthetic but it still doesnt fix the problem. Also, has anyone heard any additional info from dealers or else where on any proposed fixes....other then a knew engine.
The last I was told was that they were working on changing some software. Beyond that, I have no clue what is going on. For now, I just take the car in every 1000 miles and have them document how much it is down. I'm supposed to get a follow up from the service director this or next week. Not getting my hopes up on that.

I agree with the person that said this is just like the tire feathering issue. The rev-up would appear to be a defective engine based on design. Too many people having the same problem for it to be anything else. I'm sure there are scores more people just not realizing they have the problem.
Old 02-06-2007, 12:38 PM
loquitoy2k

My car is doing the same! 2006 and bought it 8 months ago. 12000 miles. Where is the oil pressure (psi) supposed to be? Mine was just above 0% when the car was not moving and went up to 30 I believe, when moving.
Old 02-06-2007, 01:10 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by loquitoy2k
My car is doing the same! 2006 and bought it 8 months ago. 12000 miles. Where is the oil pressure (psi) supposed to be? Mine was just above 0% when the car was not moving and went up to 30 I believe, when moving.
Here it is from the service manual.
I noticed last week that mine was a bit closer to 0 at idle than normal, but it seems ok now. Currently, I am down about 3/4 qt after 850 miles so it is not empty. I also can tell you that 2500 rpm gives me 60psi.

Name:  OilPressure.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  101.3 KB
Old 02-06-2007, 07:37 PM
doctorshumes

Oil pressure depends heavily on the viscosity of the oil. Viscosity depends on temperature and wear (older) oil. Therefore cold new oil will have the highest pressure reading and hot oil with more miles on it will have a lower oil pressure. The quantity of oil also plays a role in oil pressure, but a 1 quart loss would be difficult to detect unless temperatures are stable. Its not until you loose a good amount of oil (>3 quarts) that would notice a lack a variability in oil pressure while driving. Therefore, like the service manual says, the oil pressure gauge is not a substitute for checking the oil level physically. I recommend weekly checks until you get an idea of just how much oil you are loosing.

On a second note, has anyone had the ECU "reprogramming" with any success?
Old 02-07-2007, 06:10 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
Oil pressure depends heavily on the viscosity of the oil. Viscosity depends on temperature and wear (older) oil. Therefore cold new oil will have the highest pressure reading and hot oil with more miles on it will have a lower oil pressure. The quantity of oil also plays a role in oil pressure, but a 1 quart loss would be difficult to detect unless temperatures are stable. Its not until you loose a good amount of oil (>3 quarts) that would notice a lack a variability in oil pressure while driving. Therefore, like the service manual says, the oil pressure gauge is not a substitute for checking the oil level physically. I recommend weekly checks until you get an idea of just how much oil you are loosing.

On a second note, has anyone had the ECU "reprogramming" with any success?
To my knowledge, the ECU "reprogramming" is still in the works. Of course, it seems to have been in the works for quite some time. I'm pretty close to calling Nissan's BS on this one.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 AM
loquitoy2k

Thank you for the responses. My car was making a horrible noise like something was loose. I thought that it was under the car, however I added 1 quart of oil and the noise went away. My question is, could it be that the car was making the noise due to lack of oil? The noise sounded like the exhaust was loose, but it sounded mostly when I started the car, and usually went away after a couple miles. If this was due to low oil level, do you think I may have damaged the engine in anyway??

Thank you for your input.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion