Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Old 02-07-2007, 12:13 PM
dbasal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loquitoy2k
Thank you for the responses. My car was making a horrible noise like something was loose. I thought that it was under the car, however I added 1 quart of oil and the noise went away. My question is, could it be that the car was making the noise due to lack of oil? The noise sounded like the exhaust was loose, but it sounded mostly when I started the car, and usually went away after a couple miles. If this was due to low oil level, do you think I may have damaged the engine in anyway??

Thank you for your input.
This is the same sympton that many have had here. Many of them have taken it in and had the engine replaced. Not sure that made any difference though. There have been a few posts of the same problem occuring with the new engine. If it happens again, I would take it in instead of topping off the oil. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Originally Posted by dbasal
This is the same sympton that many have had here. Many of them have taken it in and had the engine replaced. Not sure that made any difference though. There have been a few posts of the same problem occuring with the new engine. If it happens again, I would take it in instead of topping off the oil. Just my 2 cents.
It would be interesting to know, of those who had engines replaced, were they short block or long replacements?

That would help to determine where the problem lies, ie..useing their existing heads!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:05 PM
bofa

So.. went in for my 1000 mi interval check today. It's finally confirmed and documented that my car consumes oil... shocker. I guess the technical way for them to do the test is to fill the oil to spec and measure how far down the dipstick the oil is after 1000 mi. For those of us that have actually used our dipstick, this seems like quite a feat. Anyway.. mine was down 40 mm (almost bone dry again).

So the service manager was cool this time and called the tech group that is working on the consumption issues. He tells me they have replaced about 27 engines in the US so far and they are all in Tennessee being tested. All are from REVUP motors from 6MTs and have had documented consumption problems. Some have cylinder wall markings but most do not.

He also said there is a master tech that did a test. He did about 250 miles taking it easy, using cruise control, no hard downshifts and the car consumed no oil. He did the return trip of 250 miles and never put it in six gear and basically drove the **** out of it. That time it burnt 3/4 qt. This goes along with the theory that the harder your drive and more often you downshift, the more consumption. He did say though that even the tech agrees that the car is made to be driven hard and this is not acceptable.

To date there is not a final resolution on the consumption issue. They are definitely going to do a reprogram and are trying to determine if everyone will get new engines as well. Also, he said there is a possibility that the 07 models will experience this same issue, but wasn't sure yet.

He told me I could get a new engine but that they have determined it does not fix the problem. He also said I could contact NNA about a vehicle buyback. Otherwise, I have to wait for the fix.

Soooo... I called NNA to get the file going again to explore my options. I love the car though so I don't see myself jumping ship. I may take the opportunity for the buyback to get the 07, but who knows. I'm supposed to hear back tomorrow.

Last edited by bofa; 02-07-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:27 PM
TheProfessional

Originally Posted by bofa
So.. went in for my 1000 mi interval check today. It's finally confirmed and documented that my car consumes oil... shocker. I guess the technical way for them to do the test is to fill the oil to spec and measure how far down the dipstick the oil is after 1000 mi. For those of us that have actually used our dipstick, this seems like quite a feat. Anyway.. mine was down 40 mm (almost bone dry again).

So the service manager was cool this time and called the tech group that is working on the consumption issues. He tells me they have replaced about 27 engines in the US so far and they are all in Tennessee being tested. All are from REVUP motors from 6MTs and have had documented consumption problems. Some have cylinder wall markings but most do not.

He also said there is a master tech that did a test. He did about 250 miles taking it easy, using cruise control, no hard downshifts and the car consumed no oil. He did the return trip of 250 miles and never put it in six gear and basically drove the **** out of it. That time it burnt 3/4 qt. This goes along with the theory that the harder your drive and more often you downshift, the more consumption. He did say though that even the tech agrees that the car is made to be driven hard and this is not acceptable.

To date there is not a final resolution on the consumption issue. They are definitely going to do a reprogram and are trying to determine if everyone will get new engines as well. Also, he said there is a possibility that the 07 models will experience this same issue, but wasn't sure yet.

He told me I could get a new engine but that they have determined it does not fix the problem. He also said I could contact NNA about a vehicle buyback. Otherwise, I have to wait for the fix.

Soooo... I called NNA to get the file going again to explore my options. I love the car though so I don't see myself jumping ship. I may take the opportunity for the buyback to get the 07, but who knows. I'm supposed to hear back tomorrow.
Thanks for the information you have gained in your efforts. I have begun with the last 3 oil changes taking the efforts to document my 2006 engine behavior by having the oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs as well as having the TBN documented. I have over 15,000 miles of documentation on my REV-UP with 22k mi.

So far there is LITTLE consumption with no aggressive trend with my engine. I drive as most of us would in a commuter daily driver / weekend tuner.

I would suggest however (in light of NNA replacing 27 engines, thereby being a SIGNIFICANT problem) that the community start an actual site with stickys at this site and others where we can document and classify which engines are most likely to have problems.

If you are like me with a REV-UP motor, and are reading this, most likely you are concerned and have spent more money to monitor the consumption than if you owned another vehicle.

There is a scientific and organized way that we can monitor and identify this problem. Step one is for someone to establish single site for data collection.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:03 PM
bofa

I'll buy the site if someone can help with publishing.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:12 PM
doctorshumes

Good update. The Rev-Up engine is the only one Im aware of with an inherent oil consumption issue. I really have not noticed a big difference with oil consumption with higher reving vs not. I guess I will just keep on pressuring Nissan and waiting for a solution. Also, I would guess that they have probably replaced more then 27 engines, just based on the info from this website.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:22 AM
dbasal

So.. went in for my 1000 mi interval check today. It's finally confirmed and documented that my car consumes oil... shocker...
Great info bofa! I myself am trying to figure out what step to take next. I'm not sure what is considered "reasonable charge for usage" under the Lemon Law. You could go through all that and still lose your shorts! I would say that you have the worst problem I have seen on this issue. I am shocked they have not tried something since yours seems to be above and beyond anything else seen so far. You may have an additional problem and a new engine may at least help you some. That just seems like an aweful lot of oil to lose without running in the Daytona 500.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Nismo350ZRT

I haven't read this entire thread but are 05/06 G35's having oil consumption problems? If revup G35's aren't having any problems then nothing is inherently wrong with the revup motor and the problem should be fixable.
Old 02-08-2007, 09:38 AM
igabd

No problems here! 06, 6spd. 4500 miles.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:41 PM
98sr20ve

I know someone with a G35 that he says is burning more oil then he considers normal, but has not gone thru any process with Infiniti. Don't assume that if G35s don't have the problem that there is no porblem. The sr20 had issues in the G20 simply due to the lazy nature it was driven by most G20 owners So owner use might never bring it out in most G35 owners. I may be the exception. Mine has burnt zero so far knock on wood. E36 BMW M3's, burn oil at the track. It's no big deal, you just top it off daily when you track the car. Don't know where it goes but thats what they do.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:54 PM
zpwnzu

After putting 900 miles on my new replacement engine with no hard driving, not taking it about 4500 rpm at most, i have consumed NO oil. The new engine seems have done the trick. We will see once I open up full throttle after a few more miles. The pinging has also ceased to be heard above 2000rpm. Under 2000 i can hear it every once in a while still, but that is to be expected with the crappy 91 octane here in CA.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:15 PM
bofa

^Read my post.. you have to drive it hard to notice the consumption.

Here's my thoughts: regardless if there's a fix I feel I still need a new engine due to the potential damage of running it on very low oil levels. The worst time I had serious engine knocking and I'm not just settling for a less than perfect engine. The only way I'd let them wiggle out of that is if they agree to tear down the engine and let me inspect it for damage.. and they still may have to replace it so I doubt it will come to that.

So, I'm thinking I may take this opportunity to do the buyback and pick up an 07. Granted it may have the problem, but there will eventually be a fix and I may as well get the newer one for my trouble. I'm going to see what I can negotiate for figures and see where I end up.

BTW... My regional NNA rep didn't call me today as promised.. another shocker.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
98sr20ve

Here's my thoughts: regardless if there's a fix I feel I still need a new engine due to the potential damage of running it on very low oil levels. The worst time I had serious engine knocking and I'm not just settling for a less than perfect engine. The only way I'd let them wiggle out of that is if they agree to tear down the engine and let me inspect it for damage.. and they still may have to replace it so I doubt it will come to that.

So, I'm thinking I may take this opportunity to do the buyback and pick up an 07. Granted it may have the problem, but there will eventually be a fix and I may as well get the newer one for my trouble. I'm going to see what I can negotiate for figures and see where I end up.

You can always do a oil analysis with Blackstone Labs. It will tell you if you have lead, or other substances in the engine and avoid the teardown if it's not needed.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:30 PM
bofa

^Not my prob.. it's Nissan's now.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:30 PM
ZPHILE

Default Just updating - Did my final Consumption test - it "passed"

Well, after finishing my third interval test (supposed to be 700mi/interval) with 1100 plus miles, I was only down ~.25Qt. That's with hard driving and all. I confirmed this myself (as I always do) before going to the dealer. Again, the only change that I had was going from Syn to Mineral Oil. My second reading by the dealer was 1qt loss for about 630+ miles. But from my personal reading that was wrong (less that .25Qt loss again). So, bottomline the car is better but still burns more than my '95 300ZX N/A or my Toyota Tacoma (ah - no .25Qt down for almost any amount of miles). I still want to have no consumption at all.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 AM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Well, after finishing my third interval test (supposed to be 700mi/interval) with 1100 plus miles, I was only down ~.25Qt. That's with hard driving and all. I confirmed this myself (as I always do) before going to the dealer. Again, the only change that I had was going from Syn to Mineral Oil. My second reading by the dealer was 1qt loss for about 630+ miles. But from my personal reading that was wrong (less that .25Qt loss again). So, bottomline the car is better but still burns more than my '95 300ZX N/A or my Toyota Tacoma (ah - no .25Qt down for almost any amount of miles). I still want to have no consumption at all.
So what Syn Oil did you use and what Dino Oil did you use?
Old 02-09-2007, 06:39 AM
dbasal

This has been my concern all along. Probably in my case it would not be an issue, but in your it certainly is.

For the regionals, they seem to be a day later in calling than they say they will. My experience is that they have empathy for you, but really do nothing more than call the dealer and then have the dealer handle things.

New news for me. This one really pisses me off too! Went in yesterday and was down about 3/4 of a quart. The service supervisor lets it sit for a while to let it cool down and then checks it. He says it is 1/3 of a quart down and there is nothing wrong with that (this would be true if it was the case). I told him I disagreed with him and he said that he knew what he was doing and he topped it off with 1/3 of an additional quart. Soooooooooo. I checked it this morning and what do you know, it is down 1/2 of a quart. hmmm. Imagine that! What do these people think we are, idiots! This has been the typical with this dealer. They are always underestimating the oil loss and then telling me that since it is a sports car, oil loss is normal. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry for the rant, but this guy has been pissing me off for months now! Probably because I called his a$$ out and he got reamed by his boss. Time for a new dealership! ARGH!

1/3 of a quart in 1000 miles would not bother me one bit.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:46 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Are you saying that you had more oil loss with Syn or Mineral? Thanks for the info.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:05 AM
cox

Originally Posted by Theatrix
It would be interesting to know, of those who had engines replaced, were they short block or long replacements?

That would help to determine where the problem lies, ie..useing their existing heads!

Long replacement....
Old 02-09-2007, 10:25 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
So what Syn Oil did you use and what Dino Oil did you use?

I was using Mobil 1 5-30 dealer put in Valvoline All Climate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion