Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 05:53 AM
ZPimp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Reg: your second point: "...there should be NO V1s or V2s consuming as we are seeing and to this degree. The '06 automatic doesn't..."

OMG... do you know, there is an engine difference between the 06 AT & MT?
Point is there shouldn't be a drop of oil consumed if the rev up was designed correctly, like 06 AT was.. Hello..

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 05:56 AM
ZPimp

You have been yammering at the jaw about all the failed V2's and that we have proof.
Yes, we have proof - look at stats list - several failures to-date.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:00 AM
ZPimp

.. and you make statements that all are bad.
Glad to hear that all the statements I make are bad. Hmm

Folks need to hear all available options on this thread and not be told to go find another thread somewhere if they express an opinion or alternative option you don't like or just don't want to hear.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:05 AM
ZPimp

A few of us are making a contribution to the members here, that are interested a scientific analysis of a V2.
Thank you for your contributions, Curtis. Seriously.

Yesterday, on the previous page, I made some of my on contributions presenting alternatives for those of us in this situation. These statements you want removed from this thread and placed in another thread.

I received several positive PMs from several people who wanted more information along these lines (our legal rights and options) - a process I am going through right now with NNA. It's very relevant to this thread. Nissan is offering this to us, right now, either $4,500 or a full buyback refund if you are willing to just ask.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:13 AM
ZPimp

Soap box/Yammering
Don't block information that assists us in making informed decisions if you feel the cause is human driving habits or whatever. I'm not buying it. Even if it is our driving, Nissan should never state in their owners manual the breakin period is only 1,200. It's been 3 years now and folks are still consuming beyond Nissan's own TSB standard on the V1 and yes the V2 as well. We have options and don't you dare say what I say is "all bad" information. People have a right to express their opinion. You have one and not everyone has to line up with your opinion.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 04:38 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 AM
ZPimp

Let's get to the bottom line - what are we going to do with this information. What are the alternatives.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:51 AM
ZPimp

That's why it's a forum.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:33 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps your buy back info could be summarized and posted on the first page of this thread, as is where other important alternatives on both sides of the fence to this issue are.
Wow...I've seen post whoring before, but OMG...your the King lol.

Not going to personally touch the drama you're trying to create with Curtis. I'll let him counter your attack toward his credibility if it's worth his breath. I see you've edited some of what you said in those respects...good call.

But I'll tell you what, if my G was owned by whoever and I am the one who spends my money on it and is the one who maintains it, along with the genuine interest in it's well being, you bet I would talk about it as my own. Your attack on his credibility is irrelevant to the context of this thread.

WTF...now your off topic lol

-Major Edit-
Now I see you've completely deleted your post flaming Curtis's creditbility, of which this post is in response to. Nice way to CYA. Guess I should've included your original quote in this post before you edited and now have completely deleted. Wow...just wow...lol

Noticed you deleting another one and a lot, if not all of your posts are edited. Hmmm interesting.
Good thing for you this is not on another forum that I'm a mod, as I could see all what's been edited and deleted and at my choosing, put back.
Could someone please give this member one of their Ridilan pills...Damn lol.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 03-10-2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:56 AM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Perhaps your buy back info could be summarized and posted on the first page of this thread, as is where other important alternatives on both sides of the fence to this issue are.
Wow...I've seen post whoring before, but OMG...your the King lol.

Not going to personally touch the drama you're trying to create with Curtis. I'll let him counter your attack toward his credibility if it's worth his breath. I see you've edited some of what you said in those respects...good call.

But I'll tell you what, if my G was owned by whoever and I am the one who spends my money on it and is the one who maintains it, along with the genuine interest in it's well being, you bet I would talk about it as my own. Your attack on his credibility is irrelevant to the context of this thread.

WTF...now your off topic lol
Yep - got a little off topic there. This really has affected me and everyone else here (time and financially). We should be attacking Nissan and not eachother.

I disagree about mentioning BB. You can start a separate thread (good idea) and refer folks to it for more information concerning buyback but we need to articulate that BB and $4,500 are viable options on this thread.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 10:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:13 AM
BabyZiLLa

All I really have left to say on this thread is...

You ask for people's opinions. Input. But theres a few of you who then tell you your wrong and to shut it. You know what? Considering NOONE knows the problem, maybe you yourself are wrong?

Some of you need to get off your high horse and let people vent/express there opinion on the topic.

Cause after all thats all this thread is. A bunch of opinions. Untill you show me a 100% fix your all just guessing.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:57 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZPimp
Yep - got a little off topic there. This really has affected me and everyone else here (time and financially). We should be attacking Nissan and not eachother.

I disagree about BB. You can start a separate thread (good idea) and refer folks to it for more information concerning buyback but we need to articulate that BB and $4,500 are viable options on this thread.
Cool...all I can say is good thing I didn't quote your original post before your editing on your behalf with my post

Agree...we shouldn't be attacking one another. That's counter productive to the issue at hand.

I have buy back info, had it long before I started contributing here. It's a alternative I have chosen not to go with for too many reasons to mention on here and solves nothing.

I wouldn't be a good candidate to start a thread on that, being I have not the personal experience with that procedure as you do and others with their current and/or completed buy back methods and experiences...good/bad.

Not discounting your information, but how many more pages are you going to continually beat your buy back method on our screens. We here you loud and clear and it's respectively noted.

Reason for my suggestion to be summarized and added to the first post here, is so not to get buried and forgotten as this thread continues.
If members have future questions about buy back, they could be referred to the first post where valuable info exists.
That's all I'm trying to say about that. Separate thread with link on first post here would be effective as well imo.

And in a nutshell, I've crunched the numbers with buy back long time ago just too see. I'll loose my shirt when all said and done. Your situation is fortunate, but everyone's outcome will be different with the lemon law formula.

Things to do Blake, it's Blake right?
Have a good week-end, what's left of it
Old 03-09-2008, 11:36 AM
ZPimp

You also have a $4,500 option. 5or example I could take the $4,500 Nissan is offering to us and sell my z for $22,500 which adds up to the sticker price of what I paid, $26,998.

That's not a bad option either. Its not all about buyback.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:54 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZPimp
You also have a $4,500 option. 5or example I could take the $4,500 Nissan is offering to us and sell my z for $22,500 which adds up to the sticker price of what I paid, $26,998.

That's not a bad option either. Its not all about buyback.
Sticker then consider my additional cost at purchase of, sales tax, lojack, interior/exterior protectant, extended warranty, then my mods separate from out the door purchase price. Cost of mods themselves don't even come close to Nissans 4500.

Still for me = major loss of shirt, but perhaps not for others as that's just my scenario. And you never get 100% of your money back with mods with resale and/or trade-in. Sometimes even hurts trade-in value bc it's no longer 100% oem. Seen that happen with a friend. Sucked for him big time and he had a rare 04 IP G35 coupe with black interior. Very rare and hard to find with that ext/int combo.

Anyway, individuals need to crunch their numbers to see if it's beneficial to them or not and then decide themselves.

06CPV35.............out
Old 03-09-2008, 02:27 PM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Sticker then consider my additional cost at purchase of, sales tax, lojack, interior/exterior protectant, extended warranty, then my mods separate from out the door purchase price. Cost of mods themselves don't even come close to Nissans 4500.

Still for me = major loss of shirt, but perhaps not for others as that's just my scenario. And you never get 100% of your money back with mods with resale and/or trade-in. Sometimes even hurts trade-in value bc it's no longer 100% oem. Seen that happen with a friend. Sucked for him big time and he had a rare 04 IP G35 coupe with black interior. Very rare and hard to find with that ext/int combo.

Anyway, individuals need to crunch their numbers to see if it's beneficial to them or not and then decide themselves.

06CPV35.............out
May not lose your shirt with buyback. By law your extended warranty will come back to you pro-rated - that could be over $2,000 right there. You can remove most mods resell them or purchase another G and use them. Mine started consumming around 2900 miles so my mileage loss is only about $600 although the way they worded the offer its sounds like a complete refund. +ill know more later.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:01 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Putting multiple replies in one post really helps keep the thread on track.

I'd like to know the break-in that people have used on their oil consuming v2s. Perhaps that could be some kind of variable in the spreadsheet info thing... break-in method.

Maybe then we would see that people who drive it hard for break-in experience no oil burn vs people who go by Nissan guidelines... or vice versa.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:45 PM
ZPimp

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
I'd like to know the break-in that people have used on their oil consuming v2s. Perhaps that could be some kind of variable in the spreadsheet info thing... break-in method.

Maybe then we would see that people who drive it hard for break-in experience no oil burn vs people who go by Nissan guidelines... or vice versa.
Good point but reading these threads breakin method also appears to be random like the V1.

I'm not going to play the raindeer stats game anymore. The person keeping the stats doesn't believe these V2s are a failure - its our fault for driving hard. He didn't say that when his own V1 was failing (pg 72). Even if this hypothisis is correct the rev up should have been made to rev up. Its Nissans fault not our driving. I've had enough of this bs.

Last edited by ZPimp; 03-09-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:52 AM
350Z_GTS

Wow, this must be the longest thread ever. At least i know it is not just me with problems. Has anyone been to corona nissan? sorry if someone has and posted it. I read the first 30 pages then skipped to the last of them and went backwards. I went there and they started the test. Service manager seemed cool and said they put two other engines in z, both ver 2 and both customers have not come back. Hopefully i get the new engine because i am tired of taking off the body kit and test pipes to take the car in every few months for a new problem
Old 03-10-2008, 06:26 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

If I want to pursue buyback, I'll remove ZPimp from my ignore list.

Thanks, everyone else, for the continued info on oil consumption - keep it up.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 AM
KRRZ350

Man I've gotten up to pg 70 of this thread and it is sickening what some of you have gone through, actually towards the end I started coming across one of my buddies post's and finally agreed with his reasoning for trading in his G.

Anyways, finally have to jump in here, especially after seeing pcv's recent pics........ Soon I will be adding some as well. I can't agree more that somebody needs to crack open a V2 and more specifically, see if nissan changed out the 2nd compression ring.

pcv those ring lands are quite scary! The motor I just tore down had nothing of the sorts, even though it experienced detonation bad enough to partially disentigrate an exhaust valve on #4, as well as blow the left bank HG horribly, as well as eliminate the crosshatch on #4 because of very very minor folding over on the crown of #4, luckily everything was still within spec, barely though, but the same applies to the '02 3.5 that I will post comparison pics of, the clearance was a hair over .002", do you know what yours was?

The more and more I tear into 3.5's the more I like the VQ30's, the 3.5's in general are not going to see the reliability of the vq30's, alot of it has to do with the fact that nissan really shouldn't have bored out the VQ any more without getting rid of the 4-bolt per cylinder circumference (FYI I pulled that technical jargon out of my ***) head-bolt pattern, it's not a good design, definitly creates to much block distortion once the heads are tourqed down, the ford guys know this, and I can see it on higher mileage VQ cylinder walls.

Anyways what does any of this have to do with Rev-up OC problems? Nothing, really, so back on topic, I thought I had the problem nailed down (well, personally confirmed you could say) until I saw the cracked ring land pics, pcv was that motor boosted or something, the only cause for cracked ring lands that I am aware of is detonation, but I could have sworn you said it was all stock, maybe the 2nd compression ring starts to flutter and that maybe caused the cracked ring lands? Maybe someone else could enlighten me to other causes besides detonation.

Anyways, here's a pic of the 2nd compression ring from a rev-up. One of the the main purpose of the 2nd ring is to scrape the oil off of the cylinder walls on the downstroke, looking at the groove on the bottom of the rev-up ring, which is techincally called a "napier taper faced" style, it isn't hard for me to see why this would be a big failure, but than again there are many engines that run this type of ring without problems.

Anyways, I'll wait a few weeks until this engine is broken in and the owner can confirm that it isn't consuming, but repairing some nos damage and re-ringing with new '02 maxima rings cost him less than what nissan is offering to make people sign that waiver.

Name:  Untitled-1-5.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  67.1 KB

EDIT: I just found and re-read pvc's post with the cracked ring land pic's, makes no mention of stock or not, also appears that is graphitedrivero5 from g35driver? Maybe he could chime in, or whoever built his motor. I'd be curios if they spec'd out the end-gaps, side clearance, and had any further insight to the cracked ring lands.

Last edited by KRRZ350; 03-10-2008 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:24 PM
06CPV35

^ It was me who posted those...little off on the SN, but no matter
Yes the member who that VQ belongs too didn't give much info/prior history/break-in/etc other than it only had 1600 miles on it. Said screw NNA and did a non Nissan build. If memory serves, he reported after 8mo on his having still no OC issues after his build.

You've provided excellent info and insight which is greatly appreciated here, well in my book it is; thank you and welcome

Detonation...hmmm yes, many of these suffer from that condition. Many known, well I do, scenarios that cause detonation on these revup VQ's and easily becomes a vicious cycle of many aspects causing that. ZeeForce knows all my knowledge on this condition, along with much other, being my VQ suffers detonation along with the OC plague and I know why and how it's related to my OC, which causes another vicious cycle in that respect. We've been consulting with one another privately for months on end about this OC issue.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion