Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 09:19 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
The oil at 75mi first came out milky for a second or two (assuming settled assembly lubes in pan), then normal for rest of drain. But...when oil in bucket was in direct sunlight, it had a metallic particle look/shine to it. Wow!! Glad I got that out ASAP. Being I'm changing oil so often during break-in, when's a valid oil interval to start sending you stat info? The 500 to 1200/1500 or 1200/1500 to 3750 or 3750 to 7500mi interval?
Thanks.
Yikes, there’s one for Will (Resolute), prolly like you said, it’s assembly lubes, still I would not want that gunk circulating through the engine.

1200/1500 - 3750 miles will do, as we know there is going to be a lot of consumption on the first round. Will be interesting to see how your engine sets up on seating and sealing. A good bleeding after 3750 miles and then you will see what the Doc has to say.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:25 PM
350Z-2006

Default Another Oil Consuming 06

After noticing excess oil consumption, started 1st test with Dealership in March.
After 1000 miles and a 12mm drop, took it to the Dealer.
Dealer said... no problem looks good.
They measured a 9mm drop and said that's where they started after an oil change by them.
I measured the morning after this oil change and 1st OC test started...
It was at the full mark.
They basically said I was lying (without exactly saying it).
Obviously words were said and an argument started.
Ended with starting a second consumption test ..9mm down.

This afternoon started a case file with NNA & BBB Autoline.

Some of the wisdom said from different employee's at this Dealership was....
This is the same motor the 350Z has used for 8 years and no problems.....
Where did you purchase this car, why don't you go there....
We've never had a 350Z with this problem....

This was all said after I offered to show them there own TSB originally put out 11/27/07.

Anyway.... Thanks to all that have come before me on this issue and the starting of this tread.

Todd
350Z-2006

Last edited by 350Z-2006; 06-09-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:34 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Derratte
Ive got a question for all of you who have had your engine replaced in your Z. I am currently going through the consumption process, and based on my measurements, I will qualify for a new motor.

I am concerned however about the motor swap process. I was talking with the service manager, and he told me that the process is very involved. I don't have very much faith in dealerships to begin with, as it seems they allways mess something up when I go in for service. I am worried that they are going to mess up other components during the engine swap, such as stripping bolts, gouging parts, mis-aligning things, etc etc etc...

I just feel that they are going to mess up SOMETHING, and that other problems will have to be resolved after the swap.

So, how did the swap go for your car? Did everything look factory new under the hood when you got your car back? I dont want to look under the hood and see a bunch of crap that looks like a junior tech had a field day.

Thanks in advance!

You are not alone; many have felt the same way. It’s all in the hands of the technician. My brother’s came out spectacular, like new. There was of course stripping of two bolts on the strut bar, but they are known to be frozen on from the factory. They tapped it out and heli coiled them and bam, they are new. No scratches on the body, just perfect. Others have had nightmares, but with persistence and a close eye, all got their issues resolved.

Suggest, talking to the service manager and letting him know your concerns and previous let downs by their dept. I bet they will do their best and put the best technicians on your car. They want to shine for you, for when you speak to NNA about the service. So they are gonna try their best. Ask for the master technician to perform the install. If you read through these pages on peeps stories of mishaps, all got them fixed. Do a walk around with the service manager, take along a camera and snap shots. You do not need to tell him why, he will know, saying something will just make it worse. Have him drive it before you release it to them , therefore he can see and feel the tranny.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:05 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Yikes, there’s one for Will (Resolute), prolly like you said, it’s assembly lubes, still I would not want that gunk circulating through the engine.

1200/1500 - 3750 miles will do, as we know there is going to be a lot of consumption on the first round. Will be interesting to see how your engine sets up on seating and sealing. A good bleeding after 3750 miles and then you will see what the Doc has to say.
Wish I took a vid of that oil coming out. It was a sight to see.
I expect some OC on break-in, just hoping not a lot like day one with my original and not in the NG range on TSB chart.
1200/1500 - 3750mi interval, you'll get it when I'm there. Thanks for letting me know on which valid interval.

So, how did the swap go for your car? Did everything look factory new under the hood when you got your car back? I dont want to look under the hood and see a bunch of crap that looks like a junior tech had a field day.
Mine looked and ran just fine. They did an excellent and careful job. Dealer I picked have 5 certified master mechanics staffed. Make sure they have certified master mechanic(s) on board and ask who will be doing the swap.

-350Z-2006-
Wow...hate dealers like that. Go to a different dealer. Good you started case with NNA and BBB...that's BS what they did/said to you.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 06-09-2008 at 10:10 PM. Reason: added '350Z-2006' reply
Old 06-10-2008, 04:35 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Ive got a question for all of you who have had your engine replaced in your Z. I am currently going through the consumption process, and based on my measurements, I will qualify for a new motor.

I am concerned however about the motor swap process. I was talking with the service manager, and he told me that the process is very involved. I don't have very much faith in dealerships to begin with, as it seems they allways mess something up when I go in for service. I am worried that they are going to mess up other components during the engine swap, such as stripping bolts, gouging parts, mis-aligning things, etc etc etc...

I just feel that they are going to mess up SOMETHING, and that other problems will have to be resolved after the swap.

Thanks in advance!
You might want to check with a different dealship then. I found a dealer that had already done a few swaps and gave me enough confidence to have them do the service. They did a great job, (3 day turn around) it looks the same.. so far, so good.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 AM
06CPV35

^ It's like researching for the best qualified surgeons to perform the heart transplant and how many they've done in the past.
Good point about how many have they done. I wouldn't want my G to be their first try. My dealer, forgot to mention, had done about 3-4 prior to mine.
After knowing all that, I then picked them to do the OC testing = they will be doing the swap.
Dealer I chose was not my nearest dealer.

-EDIT-
Okay...I look like a PW. So, I'll chime in when I have anything to say about my V2...good or bad.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 06-10-2008 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Look like a PW.
Old 06-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Nismo1182

Thanks in advance!
My tech did an EXCELLENT job. Less than a day turn around. I dropped it off last Tuesday around noon, he was busy doing a motor swap on an Xterra so he didnt get to my car until a few hours later. My car was ready by 4pm the next day. Everything looked like brand spanking and the car runs much better with the new motor...so far. lol

But I met with the tech a few days before the swap and he has done atleast 12 OC replacements so far this year and hes got it timed pretty much down to 6 hours for the swap. lol
Old 06-10-2008, 08:17 PM
ZeeForce

Master head mechanic did mine, it was the 2nd one they did out of five. As you can see fom the pic there is another to the right and another one next to it. All done that week.

Future Nissan, Roseville, CA did a fantastic job. First class all the way.

Name:  DSC03745.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  128.2 KB
Old 06-13-2008, 10:33 AM
mgnchakar

Anyone know if the red line is still 7k on the v2 motor?
I've had mine for about 5-6k miles and no oil consumption so far. haven't switched to synthetic yet.
Old 06-13-2008, 10:38 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mgnchakar
Anyone know if the red line is still 7k on the v2 motor?
I've had mine for about 5-6k miles and no oil consumption so far. haven't switched to synthetic yet.
Yes, the specs are the same. It will still bounce off the limiter at 7k. With 6k miles on it you shouldn't be too shy of revving it that high, but I believe it's still breaking in based on the input of others here with their oil analysis-es. (what the hell is the plural of analysis)

I will also say that my v2 is smoother at higher rpms than my v1. It felt like the car was going to shake apart at 5500 rpm on the other. With this it's better... still not a HR, though.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:14 AM
ArCtM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got my V2 approved. I'm gonna take my V1 to get dyno'd at SMS Performance(Steve Saleens new shop) in OC and have them dyno my V2 once it is installed. I hope there isnt a decrease in power that'll be very disappointing.
Old 06-13-2008, 11:51 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Maybe a list of good and bad dealers should be added to the first post for reference.

ArCtM, that would be interesting to see if there will be a big difference.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:48 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some guy had his v2 dynoed and it came up with low 240s.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:28 PM
ArCtM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cheshirecat79
I bought a 300hp car. I expect my new motor to have around the same output not 280-290hp thats BS.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:07 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ArCtM
I bought a 300hp car. I expect my new motor to have around the same output not 280-290hp thats BS.
Advertised hp (300) is always at the crank and not at the final drive wheels that Dyno numbers indicate
Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 3kgtslflip
Maybe a list of good and bad dealers should be added to the first post for reference.
Good idea, if you start it and collect the data, I can post it to the first page. You got my dealer on the post above.

Originally Posted by ArCtM
….. and have them dyno my V2 once it is installed. I hope there isnt a decrease in power that'll be very disappointing.
I believe it was RBlover69, and someone chimed in and stated that if he dyno’s it again with the same mileage he had previously, that it would probably be the same.

…. I believe it's still breaking in based on the input of others here with their oil analysis-es. (what the hell is the plural of analysis)
I also wondered what the plural word for analysis is. My 2nd used oil analysis will be posted up soon, for Resolute (Will) to comment on.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 PM
i8acobra

Received 1,267 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by jmaldonado
probably not....looking for something bigger. This is my second 350z, and I might be over the 2 seater thing. I am married, and have a house now, and just need room for stuff. I am not to the point (or have the room) where I can have the Z as a weekend car, and drive something else. So this means some sort of sporty sedan. Really looking at the G35 sedan, Lexus IS 350, and even something a little different.....the Audi A3.

Any news? Is Nissan proceeding with the buyback or are they fighting you?
Old 06-14-2008, 09:20 PM
jmaldonado

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Any news? Is Nissan proceeding with the buyback or are they fighting you?

Buyback is final, I signed the final agreement last week. I should be dropping off my car really soon.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:58 AM
MoonieGT

So for people like me looking for a used Z, I should avoid all 2006 manual Z's right?
Old 06-15-2008, 07:58 AM
antennahead

Originally Posted by MoonieGT
So for people like me looking for a used Z, I should avoid all 2006 manual Z's right?
If it were me I sure as hell would!

John

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion