Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Nismo1182

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my car back today with the freshly installed V2. We'll see how this one works out.

I'll go back tomorrow and ask the tech if the motor came with spark plugs already in it.
Old 06-05-2008, 04:21 PM
type7

What about Z's sold in other countries? Do they have the same issue and how did Nissan treat them? Should we united all the Z owners all around the world?
Old 06-05-2008, 08:23 PM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nismo1182
Got my car back today with the freshly installed V2. We'll see how this one works out.

I'll go back tomorrow and ask the tech if the motor came with spark plugs already in it.
Awesome...thanks.
Wish you good fortune with your recent V2.

Almost 500mi on mine...so far still at full and running great.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:37 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

Originally Posted by type7
What about Z's sold in other countries? Do they have the same issue and how did Nissan treat them? Should we united all the Z owners all around the world?
who cares about them as long as ours is fixed
Old 06-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Nismo1182

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Awesome...thanks.
Wish you good fortune with your recent V2.

Almost 500mi on mine...so far still at full and running great.
Thanks.

Just found out it came with new ones.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:08 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Nismo1182
Thanks.

Just found out it came with new ones.
Alright!! Good to hear. Thanks for confirming that.
I can rest easy now
Old 06-06-2008, 10:28 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by luvZcar
ATT:ZEEFORCE,first and formost whats up and how is everything and know for something totaly differant.
Oil Consumption:8-9mm
Engine Install Date:12/5/07
Engine part number:10102-AC7MZ-v2
Mileage on Engine:17xxx
Mileage on current oil change interval:2065
Oil Type/Brand/Weight:nissan 10w30
OK I know I have not been posting much in here but, I read this thread everytime I log in to keep updated. Just wanted to to give some stats so far I have actualy been enjoying my car. I know I have not put a ton of miles on but its hard when I don't drive the car to work, so basicly I only drive it when I am going some where and I am not driving the wifes car, can't fit everything in the Z so we take her car for most needs.
So far my oil consumption falls in the good range and hope it stays there.
As for everyone else good luck,with engine swaps, buy backs and dealing with the nna

^^ Doing well, thanks. My bro’s V2 is doing very well. As you may have read I am having the tune and break–in checked by a used oil analysis lab on the condition of the freshly built engine. 7603 miles on the engine and it’s still sealing and seating. The oil is being analyzed on every oil change; the second analysis was just completed. With the suggestions made by the lab, the numbers are looking better and it’s burning very clean.

Total miles on engine: 7603 miles
4 - 5 mm oil consumption, oil change interval of 3223 miles
Previous oil change interval was 9 -10 mm of oil consumption;
therefore their suggestions are paying off. A small price to pay for a used oil analysis, which includes personalized tuning suggestions from a scientist.

Major improvement, as the miles are racking up. It could not have been accomplished with out the assistance from the scientist.

I could not tell if your total miles is 17,000 or is it 1,700 miles? Your last update in Jan had a total of 800 miles. Please PM me with the correct mileage, so I can update the list. I also do not drive my 2005 Non RevUp that much anymore; I am taking the train to work, to save on gas. I am only running 35 miles a week vs 400 miles before taking the train. My 35 miles per week is all street and about 3.5 miles one way. The moisture in the oil is not getting burned off, so every weekend I make sure I get it out on the freeway for 20 minutes, to burn off the moisture build up in the oil. Low mileage driving around town, does consume more oil. Good hearing from you luvZcar and thanks a bunch for the very well done update. Shoot me a pm if you want more info on the tune. Better yet keep an eye out for my UOA over on the Used Oil Analysis thread, which Resolute manages.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:34 PM
ZeeForce

Okay...I have a question for the members who have already had their V2(s) replaced.

Can anyone confirm if new spark plugs came installed in their V2 prior to swap?

Anyone happen to look under one of the six taped holes on the valve covers to see if there was a plug in there? I forgot to look on mine.

I can confirm that there was a new PCV valve. I saw that.

Thanks.
They may NOW be shipping the freshly built new engines with new plugs and PCV valve.

I know for a fact that my bro's did not come with them nor was it on the service work order. His engine was installed back in Sept of 2007. There is nothing on the invoice and my service manager stated "no" to both questions that I asked him almost a year ago at the time of the install.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:07 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
They may NOW be shipping the freshly built new engines with new plugs and PCV valve.

I know for a fact that my bro's did not come with them nor was it on the service work order. His engine was installed back in Sept of 2007. There is nothing on the invoice and my service manager stated "no" to both questions that I asked him almost a year ago at the time of the install.
Very good point. Wonder if they starting doing new plugs and PCV when TSB was released in November 07 and Jan 08 for G35's? Probably never know when.

As I've said here many times and agreed with you in the past.....UOA's are your friend hands down!
Despite the general antagonistic attitude from some in the past

Good to hear all is going well with the V2
Old 06-07-2008, 08:23 AM
djscotty

Update. 992 miles on the new V2, is still halfway down the dipstick. Checked it at 475 and it was at the same level. Looks like they didnt put the extra half a qt. that it needed for break in. How soon are you guys doing your first oil change? I you going to straight to synthetic or sticking with crude?
Old 06-07-2008, 09:30 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by djscotty
Update. 992 miles on the new V2, is still halfway down the dipstick. Checked it at 475 and it was at the same level. Looks like they didnt put the extra half a qt. that it needed for break in. How soon are you guys doing your first oil change? I you going to straight to synthetic or sticking with crude?
By the time I hit 3750mi, that will be my fourth oil change. I did my first at ~75mi.
I personally not using 100% Synth during break-in. Will go 100% later depending on UOA results down the road.
Old 06-07-2008, 10:42 AM
richard slanger

By the time I hit 3750mi, that will be my fourth oil change. I did my first at ~75mi.
I personally not using 100% Synth during break-in. Will go 100% later depending on UOA results down the road.
i heard synth is bad for break in because its too slippery. the rings wont set right.
Old 06-07-2008, 03:55 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by richard slanger
i heard synth is bad for break in because its too slippery. the rings wont set right.
Some are built for 100% Synth new out of the box, like my wifes 08 VW EOS 2.0T. Bimmers and new GTR I think too.
Not ours imo until rings have seated/sealed correctly, but I'm no expert about builds and how those or the V2 was built.

-edit-
But blend could be something to consider during break-in

Last edited by 06CPV35; 06-07-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2008, 08:24 PM
ZeeForce

Very good point. Wonder if they starting doing new plugs and PCV when TSB was released in November 07 and Jan 08 for G35's? Probably never know when.

As I've said here many times and agreed with you in the past.....UOA's are your friend hands down!

Good to hear all is going well with the V2

Thanks, all is well here, on my bro's V2. Glad to hear you finally received a new engine. Keep us posted on the engine condition of break-in.

It does bring up a good point! That it appears they (NNA) are adding revisions to the original V2 build, which shows they are still interested in a remedy for the RevUp.

“A used oil analysis (UOA) is good to show if an engine is breaking-in or is having difficulty with break-in”.

I would run synthetic oil while the internals are seating and sealing. These engines do not like conventional oil during the seal. Castrol GTX would be a great oil to run once the engine has sealed, but just not during the break-in and seating period. There are too much fuel dilution and assembly lubes that just destroy and shears conventional oil.

See my UOA and commentaries by Resolute:

Starts at Post # 427 and goes to next page: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....258663&page=22

Here is a great excerpt from Resolute on synthetic oil for breaking-in freshly built engines.

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost.ph...&postcount=438

As far as oil swapping on the new engine:
I would swap out the engine oil on freshly built engine the moment I got it home from the dealer. (12-25 miles) then again at 100 miles, then again at 500 miles, then again at 1000 miles. Then let it go for the normal oil change interval of 3000-3500 miles and then change it and have an used oil analysis (UOA) sample taken and sent out to the more expensive lab to check the condition of the engine with break-in and seating of internal components.

I have a new UOA that I will be posting soon.

gl on your break-in as I know you will have better results than I have, not that mine are bad, but now you have gained knowledge that I did not have at the time of my install of the freshly new built engine from Sept 2007.

(btw) When I refer to my or mine, I am referring to my bro's engine.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:18 AM
06CPV35

^ You're correct about Synth having much better protection during the break-in with assembly lubes, fuel dilute, shearing, etc over dino as Resolute says in his thread as well.

I was on the fence post with what oil to use. But with some conflicting info I read on that subject elsewhere, I decided to go with what I have. Time will tell and UOA will tell more. My 1200/1500 to 3750mi oil interval will be my first UOA sample on this V2 and the longest interval on oil since V2 replacement.

Wow...just realized I'll be able to contribute to your oil stats study soon

And yes I knew your V2 was your brothers. You mentioned that a long time ago
Old 06-08-2008, 08:56 PM
ZeeForce

^ It will be interesting to see how the oil physically looks at 1200 miles when you drain it. Was there anything you could see physically, in the oil when you drained the initial oil at 25 miles?

Yup, you will need to pm me with the details for the Stats List. You are finally on the list, it’s about time!

Thanks a bunch, I couldn’t remember if I had mentioned that to everyone else, that the V2 is my brothers. And that it is housed under the same roof, garage, next to my 2005 350Z SS. He is not a forum yacker, he lets me yack about his car, since I do all the leg work on it with Nissan North America (NNA), the dealer, the UOA lab scientist, I wash it, detail it, add mods to it, enter it in car shows, fill er up with gas, have the dings that I put in it taken out. Uhhh… let’s see what else…oh yeh I drive it a lot, when I am not driving my 2005 350Z SS. So yeh it’s my brothers, but it feels like it’s both of ours. What’s my brothers, is mine and what’s mine, is my brothers. It can now be laid to rest.

Let It Be
Old 06-09-2008, 08:52 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
^ It will be interesting to see how the oil physically looks at 1200 miles when you drain it. Was there anything you could see physically, in the oil when you drained the initial oil at 25 miles?

Yup, you will need to pm me with the details for the Stats List. You are finally on the list, it’s about time!
I'll take note what the oil looks like on my next drain (500mi mark). Funny you should ask about what the oil looked like on my first drain. Thought I mentioned it here...probably on another OC thread elsewhere...can't remember Too many OC threads on the internet about this revup

The oil at 75mi first came out milky for a second or two (assuming settled assembly lubes in pan), then normal for rest of drain. But...when oil in bucket was in direct sunlight, it had a metallic particle look/shine to it. Wow!! Glad I got that out ASAP.

Being I'm changing oil so often during break-in, when's a valid oil interval to start sending you stat info? The 500 to 1200/1500 or 1200/1500 to 3750 or 3750 to 7500mi interval?

Thanks.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 06-09-2008 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added another oil interval in question
Old 06-09-2008, 05:43 PM
MoonieGT

I'm looking into getting a Z and I'm on the fence about looking for a used one or going with a new enthusiast. I was strongly considering an 06 until I came across this oil consumption business. Do I understand correctly that an 05 enthusiast with a manual tranny will NOT have this oil consumption problem?

I'd consider an 05 to save some $, but I'm leaning towards an 08 enthusiast for the HR...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM
SlideWays314

dude, if i could do it all over again, I would totally get the 08 so i didnt have to worry about the oil consumption, plus you get the HR, game over!
Old 06-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Derratte

Ive got a question for all of you who have had your engine replaced in your Z. I am currently going through the consumption process, and based on my measurements, I will qualify for a new motor.

I am concerned however about the motor swap process. I was talking with the service manager, and he told me that the process is very involved. I don't have very much faith in dealerships to begin with, as it seems they allways mess something up when I go in for service. I am worried that they are going to mess up other components during the engine swap, such as stripping bolts, gouging parts, mis-aligning things, etc etc etc...

I just feel that they are going to mess up SOMETHING, and that other problems will have to be resolved after the swap.

So, how did the swap go for your car? Did everything look factory new under the hood when you got your car back? I dont want to look under the hood and see a bunch of crap that looks like a junior tech had a field day.

Thanks in advance!

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion