Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Boogshag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by digunderground
It depends on the terms of the salvage.. i think **sometimes** a salvage car retains its warranty. Most of the time I think its gone though.. just check. Either way, if you are salvaging it, why not just spend a little $$ and build the motor.. then you wont have these problems.. ?

-Dig
haha cause we have enough work as it is! for all we know, the engine is fine. i would assume that if it consumed oil, the previous owner would have taken care of it by 32k miles. then again he wrapped it around a pole too...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:29 PM
digunderground

Default ^^^^

Good point.. I am just taking care of mine now and I am at 28K ish.. so.. im not sure if thats a defense for your cars previous owner not doing it either or just a display of my negligence.. haha either way best of luck.. I just meant it might be easier to do it now while the cars apart, regardless of wether he did it or not. After reading all these posts, not all "V2" motors are just fine.. some are turning out to be just as much of a problem.. let me know if i can help with anything else..

-DIG
Old 07-18-2009, 07:02 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi all, I just got done reading ALL 208 pages of this post. It took me 3 days at work, but its ok cause I was being paid. hahah

I have a 2005 35th ann. with 28K on it and I have really bad pinging/knock 2000rpm - 3000rpm. I also have oil consumption issues so I am trying to get my block replaced under the TSB. I just want to say THANK YOU ALL from the bottom of my heart, you have provided so much information on this and literally saved me from the goose chase..

I brought my car into a specialty "Z" shop here in southern CA and they told me whats up, they even wrote "oil consumption issues" on my invoice. They then told me to go to Nissan Of Velencia CA and that they are competent, and wont give me the runaround. So far I have had no problems with the dealership. They gladly started the oil consumption test and said my oil change ($35) would be refunded if the motor needed to be swapped. When I was waiting the service manager even took out the TSB and said it has to drop 7-8mm but 1/2 Qt would make sure I fail.. I found it funny he was almost prompting me. I will keep you updated on the status of my test / swap.

I will be taking the advice of the forum and driving a good 300Mi trip at hi rpm , and driving "like a bat out of hell" . To the posters that recommended Oil Analysis, Thank you and I'm sorry i don't remember your handle. IF I get a swap I will definitely be doing the analysis on my oil for break in, that is the best advice EVER. I use to do that on my old Chevy Small block 383's when I would build them and I assure you this motor is no different.

Thanks again EVERYONE for all your Help and input!!!

-DIG
I returned when I was a quart low so there was no question second time back during testing. They played me first return trip with their 1000 mi request, which I ignored for next trip back. I used the OC chart to 'my' advantage, not theirs. Sounds like your dealer is on your side, so that's great to read. So many aren't which is such a shame

Do a few low mile OCI's to get all assembly lubes and metals out first, then sample for a more accurate Analysis of the build and break-in status.
As ZeeForce and myself have said for years here......UOA's are your friend.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 07-18-2009 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Added last line...
Old 07-19-2009, 11:20 AM
SlipZ

John(06PV35),

which dealer did you go for the OIC?

Cris
Old 07-19-2009, 01:10 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by SlipZ
John(06PV35),

which dealer did you go for the OIC?

Cris
You got PM
Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 AM
digunderground

I just noticed today that in addition to sealing all oil locations with official Nissan stickers, the dealership sealed my dipstick with electrical tape so I cant check it. This is obviously BS.. if I remove it to check it is it going to be considered tampering? I know there is NO right answer to this because it is up to the dealership. Im just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this issue?
Old 07-21-2009, 06:14 AM
06CPV35

Heard of zip ties used on dip sticks. All they did to mine was mark the drain plug.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:43 PM
drew4075

Default '05 350z Anniv. edition burning 4 quartz of oil in 2375miles

My '05 350z Anniv.Ed. has burned 4 litres in 3800km.. 2375miles

I just bought this car used from a Honda dealership 3 months ago. I have only driven it for 1 1/2 months due to a broken right hand. As soon as I took it back on the road a few days ago I learned that it had burned off 4.2 litres of oil...Mr. Lube did the last oil change.

THANK YOU FOR THE POST!!! AND UPDATE
I will be taking it to nissan on tues to start the process.

I assume that this document covers Canadian buyers too...Right???
NNA- Nissan North America

Are there any othere problems I should look in to while my car is at the Nissan dealer???
Old 07-23-2009, 03:28 PM
jdmstyleg35

I just noticed today that in addition to sealing all oil locations with official Nissan stickers, the dealership sealed my dipstick with electrical tape so I cant check it. This is obviously BS.. if I remove it to check it is it going to be considered tampering? I know there is NO right answer to this because it is up to the dealership. Im just wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this issue?

Infiniti of Montclair was really good to me.
They marked the drain plug with Liquid Plastic, so if I tried to tamper with it, the seal would break. So no need to tape down the oil stick.
They replaced my motor recently (AC7M9) and it seems to be running good, No oil smell, or early pinging.

:CROSSES FINGERS:
Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 AM
digunderground

Well they tape down the dipstick because you can still remove oil from that point, if you were so inclined. I just wanted to know because I want to see if they over filled it and how far it has gone down if any.. thanks for all the feedback!

-DIG
Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
350zx6r

well after 4 weeks of going back and forth having all kinds of issue anybody could possibly have they replaced the engine last week. picked up the car saturday and now its making a knocking sound every time a touch my brakes. im bringing my car back tomorrow. i cant put up with this anymore.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM
06Enthusiast

My revup uses just a little over half a quart in 3000 miles of pretty hard driving. Do you guys think this is even worth worrying about? In my experience, it's normal for a performance car to use a LITTLE bit of oil.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Wu-Watt

I'd leave it be if I were you.. Watch it to see if it gets worse.. Mine is burning like 3/4 qt per 1000 miles.. I'm pissed.. My 03' Maxima burned a bit of oil too.. About a qt per oil change and it didnt bother me.. I drove it pretty hard.. I'm just getting into this mess with my Z and I hope my dealer doesnt try to screw me.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:36 AM
06CPV35

Check your PCV. I did and WT*......

Last edited by 06CPV35; 07-29-2009 at 07:39 AM. Reason: Added last sentence...
Old 08-01-2009, 11:23 AM
Wu-Watt

I asked the service guy at the dealership about the PCV and he didnt say much.. That wont fix the problem will it? I have a Kinetix plenum on my Z, and when I read about the oil consumption I went and looked at the stock one.. It had a light glaze of oil on the top outside edge. (in the plenum) I asked the guy that did the install if there was any excessive oil in the lower collector and he said it was cool. I have just over 1000 miles on my oil change and I'm just over the L.. I think I need a new engine.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by Wu-Watt
I asked the service guy at the dealership about the PCV and he didnt say much.. That wont fix the problem will it? I have a Kinetix plenum on my Z, and when I read about the oil consumption I went and looked at the stock one.. It had a light glaze of oil on the top outside edge. (in the plenum) I asked the guy that did the install if there was any excessive oil in the lower collector and he said it was cool. I have just over 1000 miles on my oil change and I'm just over the L.. I think I need a new engine.
PCV won't fix it, but imo contributes. I've seen plenum covers off on some with pools of oil in there = not correct. And where does that oil evenually end up and go through and out? Think we all know that one.

My PCV was full of oil and not working correctly on my V2. Possible reason why my OC increased. Cleaned and I'll see what happens now.

Agree think your VQ qualifies for a replacement with that OC rate. Start testing with dealer I guess.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 08-01-2009 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Added: My PCV was full.........
Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 AM
DKC

I'm an owner of a 2006 350z in Australia. Same as many people I had the oil consumption problem and am finally getting the Rev-up v2 engine installed. (part number 10102-AC7MZ).

I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to read the production date of the label.

The production date says "05/28C 23:45".

I presume the engine could not possibly be built in 2005 as that was before Nissan admitted there was a oil consumption problem. I spoke to the dealer and Nissan Australia Customer Service who basically said "we don't know and can't be bothered to find out for you. You can go to the Nissan Japan website to look for help yourself if you want".

As far as I know the v2 engine became available in June/July 2007. Any ideas?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:05 AM
06CPV35

^Something I wished I had done with mine. Write down, snap a pix or request dealer to save that paper label taped on valve cover. Did record my engine serial number, which ended up on my paperwork including part number after swap was done anyway.

I can make an assumption. Could be the month/day. "c" being a year code. Rest being a time stamp in military format. Other than that, not a clue.

I read a little sarcasm by your dealer saying go to Nissan's Japan site for help, we can't be bothered. Unless you're Japanese and how how to read that language lol...
Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 AM
basicblack@nola

Mine uses about a quart every 3000 mi but the dealer could not change the fans without losing three bolts for the plastic shield under the car so you can imagine a engine change?Half a quart is not bad.for a high rev.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:21 AM
aaronz8

Hi,
I just got a 2006 350z. It was a manufacturer buyback, so the engine has already been replaced. I was wondering, is there a chance that it will have the oil consumption thing?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion