Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 08:46 AM
Swiffer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if this is something that can appear over time? Reason I'm asking is that I'm now at 30,000 miles and I havent had any issues yet with my 06. I change the oil about every 4000 miles and its only been low by 1/4 - 1/2 quart when I change it...not much. FWIW, mine was built in Feb 06.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
TwoStroke350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add me into the V2 swap and having it go bad too. 700 miles on the new engine and its burning oil like crazy (1/3 down the stick). I had 36k miles on the original engine and it didn't use near as much oil. I'm Taking it back to Metro Nissan of Redlands tomorrow to see about a buyback.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:08 PM
350zfan1320

Hey everyone,

I am by no means a mechanic and my mechanical experience is all self taught on my old two 240s. I have skimmed the pages in this thread and searched for all sorts of key words to try and find if anyone seems to have found the fix or suggested the same thing I am about to suggest. My 06 has just started burning oil, it is originally a US car but I am up in Canada. Oil change after oil change it has been perfect, either always full or down just about 100ml (assuming from L to H is 946ml) after the 5000KM mark. Now it is down 500-600ml after 3200km and I have just topped it off. My exhaust tips are dirtier than normal on the bottom as well. The VQ35 has a history of burning oil in other Manual Nissan vehicles, here we have the TSB for the V2 motor that doesn't really seem to fix it for everyone, in the Maxima land and Pathfinder land they generally seem to agree that the problem lies in the right-side (passenger) valve cover and PCV valve, and replacing the two makes the problem go away for X period of time. People seem to shoot this idea down here but has anyone taken their passenger valve cover here off and inspected it for sludge or clogged drain holes? or inspected their pcv valve to see if it is stuck open?
Take a look at the following link, it is for a Pathfinder VQ35 which has a different valve cover design but what if it has the same/similar tiny drain holes and design inside?
http://www.netcrafting.com/car_mx/pathfinder/oil.html

I will be inspecting mine and try to clean/replace it when I get my MREV2

Please discuss as I am curious since my searching on here turned up nothing.

Thanks for your time
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
ZeeForce

I posted this up here way way back in Jan 2007 from another Nissan forum. The OP is a mechanic for Nissan from his profile. I ran his opinion by my service manager and he did not think it had anything to do with the OC symptoms we were experiencing. Where they able to tear down parts for inspection?....NO....back then it was so secretive that Nissan North America was instructing dealers to just swap out the long block and ship it of to Tenn. for inspection.

Not to say it is not showing up on these engines...so it's still a good question. I cannot answer it though. So rock on with it being up for discussion. I only pointed out that it had come up before...maybe search this quote or his screen name in a post (since he is not a subscriber to this forum) and find the post # that I posted it.

Here is the quote from a Nissan forum back in the day...

************* reposted ***************

Originally Posted by dre351
probably have oil trapped in the baffles in the rt. side valve cover. i have had to replace several due to oil being pulled through the pcv system. the oil cannot be cleaned out, i have tried. the valve cover will have to be replaced. just a bad design on the valve cover.
***************** end of quote*********************
Old 05-07-2009, 11:09 AM
06CPV35

^One of these days I might still install a catch can to see what's up with the PCV system.

Originally Posted by TwoStroke350Z
Add me into the V2 swap and having it go bad too. 700 miles on the new engine and its burning oil like crazy (1/3 down the stick). I had 36k miles on the original engine and it didn't use near as much oil. I'm Taking it back to Metro Nissan of Redlands tomorrow to see about a buyback.
My V2 when fresh was a definite fail on OC chart. Started improving a lot, then took a dip back into fail status. Then that trend reversed and I'm looking real good now with a tick under 10K mi on V2, but that's mine. These seem to be hit or miss on how they break in. No consistent denominator from the get-go on these.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 05-07-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: added: comment to above post
Old 05-08-2009, 08:55 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TwoStroke350Z
The engine will consume oil while it's breaking in. You're jumping the gun, but good luck on your buyback.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:10 PM
skaterbasist

I just burned 1qt in 1500 miles. I've never burned this much before. My car is an 06 and has 28,000 miles.

It seems to me that I should initiate an OC test, right?

One of my concerns is that my ECU is reflashed with the UpRev Osiris. If I get my engine replaced, would that mean that the ECU will also be changed? If so, I guess I would have to dish out more $$$ for a retune + UpRev License

I'm a little paranoid about being BS'd about how im full NA (bolt-ons) and have a modified ECU. Though im sure that has nothing to do with OC since my car was borderline in over consumption before my modifications.

P.S. This was about 90% highway miles. I usually hover around 2500-3000 RPMs on the highway.

Last edited by skaterbasist; 05-11-2009 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 07:29 PM
bigdv519

OK I went back to the dealership at ~1000 miles...and guess what...the tech that started my first oil test was not the right person to do it (sounds like BS) and they basically read my oil at 1000 miles and topped it off and told me to come back in another 1000 miles. SOOO now I'm past another 1000 miles and I'm heading in tomorrow to get it read again...and hopefully it will be consuming more than 8mm worth on the dipstick. Wish me luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:14 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I just burned 1qt in 1500 miles. I've never burned this much before. My car is an 06 and has 28,000 miles.

One of my concerns is that my ECU is reflashed with the UpRev Osiris. If I get my engine replaced, would that mean that the ECU will also be changed? If so, I guess I would have to dish out more $$$ for a retune + UpRev License

I'm a little paranoid about being BS'd about how im full NA (bolt-ons) and have a modified ECU. Though im sure that has nothing to do with OC since my car was borderline in over consumption before my modifications.

P.S. This was about 90% highway miles. I usually hover around 2500-3000 RPMs on the highway.
1qt/1500mi = definite fail on TSB OC chart with revup's.

Dealer uses your original ECU in VQ swap. Dealer will see the tune on their Consult when they run checks for correct op after swap. You might loose your tune maps too b/c of Consult needing to check with factory oem maps, not sure don't quote me. Read something about license re-registering n/c on Uprev's FAQ site. I'd call them and let them know what's up.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:20 AM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by bigdv519
OK I went back to the dealership at ~1000 miles...and guess what...the tech that started my first oil test was not the right person to do it (sounds like BS) and they basically read my oil at 1000 miles and topped it off and told me to come back in another 1000 miles. SOOO now I'm past another 1000 miles and I'm heading in tomorrow to get it read again...and hopefully it will be consuming more than 8mm worth on the dipstick. Wish me luck.
Had similar. Wanted to start my testing on a Sat. They said couldn't b/c correct tech was only there M-F. BS in my book too. How technical is it to note the level, top it off or start with fresh and note on paperwork full, then return in x miles. Whatever and I came back during the week to start my testing
Old 05-12-2009, 07:50 PM
350zfan1320

Hey

Continuing from my post above where my car burned 500-600ml after 3200km and was topped off...

Shortly after I went to Nissan and picked up a PCV valve and figured I would try replacing that for now while I wait for my MREV2 to come in and time to take the valve cover off (Pathfinder owners have had reduced oil burning by just replacing the PCV valve). I know a PCV valve is supposed to click when you shake it and the new one did, but the old one i pulled off my valve cover was dirty with oil and seemed really stuck, I had to shake it really hard just to get the little thing inside to even feel like it was moving and it only had 28,000 KM on it, check out the this link for a video of my old and new PCV valve, you can hear the difference: http://stoich.ca/zvideos.htm

After 1000 more KM driven my oil level has not dropped since I put in the new PCV valve, I will keep monitoring it and post back.

I know the PCV valve is not the fix but at least I think replacing it could reduce the oil consumption, I am thinking of replacing it at every oil change since it takes 5 minutes, I cleaned off my dirty one and it is now clicking almost as easily as the new one. Maybe I will keep alternating them and just cleaning them off at every oil change.

Thanks
Old 05-12-2009, 09:39 PM
bigdv519

Update on my progress:
Went in today and the tech that did my initial OC test was not in today and the Service Advisor (little *****) asked me if I could come back tomorrow. I explained in a very nice way that coming back tomorrow was not an option and that I would wait for the next qualified tech to become available. After about 20 minutes, a tech came out and went to check my oil (which I checked before I went in anyway, and it wasn't even up to the "L"). The service advisor joined him and I followed the pair. I had a little party in my brain when I heard the advisor ask the tech "how low is it?" and the tech says "low enough to need a new motor". x 7467128949027.

Sooooo again the advisor then told me that it needed to get approved by some person in charge. I should get a call supposedly by tomorrow. Will update as soon as I can.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:59 AM
RD400

Originally Posted by 350zfan1320
I know the PCV valve is not the fix but at least I think replacing it could reduce the oil consumption, I am thinking of replacing it at every oil change since it takes 5 minutes, I cleaned off my dirty one and it is now clicking almost as easily as the new one. Maybe I will keep alternating them and just cleaning them off at every oil change.
Thanks for that info; a clogging PCV system makes a lot of sense to me as a contributing factor.

I have a recently purchased 06 G35 6MT with low miles and I'm just getting a handle on its consumption. So far so good at 1/2 quart per 4K miles, but not sure if it's increasing or what. I plan to remove the rear coils to check the valve covers soon, and also monitor the PCV to control at least one variable. Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2009, 03:06 PM
drive4fun

Originally Posted by skaterbasist

Sorry to hear that you're consuming. I've been wondering how the dealer would react in a situation like yours.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 10:05 AM
z33allme

Originally Posted by bigdv519
Update on my progress:
Went in today and the tech that did my initial OC test was not in today and the Service Advisor (little *****) asked me if I could come back tomorrow. I explained in a very nice way that coming back tomorrow was not an option and that I would wait for the next qualified tech to become available. After about 20 minutes, a tech came out and went to check my oil (which I checked before I went in anyway, and it wasn't even up to the "L"). The service advisor joined him and I followed the pair. I had a little party in my brain when I heard the advisor ask the tech "how low is it?" and the tech says "low enough to need a new motor". x 7467128949027.

Sooooo again the advisor then told me that it needed to get approved by some person in charge. I should get a call supposedly by tomorrow. Will update as soon as I can.

Sounds like what I was told. Just waiting now the hear from the dealer.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:07 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by RD400
Thanks for that info; a clogging PCV system makes a lot of sense to me as a contributing factor.
Agree...and same happens on all engines if PCV clogs up.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:33 PM
E K

Originally Posted by 350zfan1320
Hey

Continuing from my post above where my car burned 500-600ml after 3200km and was topped off...

Shortly after I went to Nissan and picked up a PCV valve and figured I would try replacing that for now while I wait for my MREV2 to come in and time to take the valve cover off (Pathfinder owners have had reduced oil burning by just replacing the PCV valve). I know a PCV valve is supposed to click when you shake it and the new one did, but the old one i pulled off my valve cover was dirty with oil and seemed really stuck, I had to shake it really hard just to get the little thing inside to even feel like it was moving and it only had 28,000 KM on it, check out the this link for a video of my old and new PCV valve, you can hear the difference: http://stoich.ca/zvideos.htm

After 1000 more KM driven my oil level has not dropped since I put in the new PCV valve, I will keep monitoring it and post back.

Thanks
That's an excellent idea. The good thing is that the PCV valve is very easy to remove, so there's really nothing to lose with this idea. I cleaned my PCV valve on my V2 which has about 10K miles on it. The valve moved pretty well, but I cleaned it anyway, and it's a big smoother.

Rechecked my oil level, it was 14 mm down with 2800 miles since last oil change. So far, I'm ok with this level of consumption on my V2.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:07 PM
bigdv519

Originally Posted by z33allme
Sounds like what I was told. Just waiting now the hear from the dealer.
Ok the tech that recommended me to take my car in to the dealership (cousin in-law), calls me on Saturday night telling me that the motor for my car has been ordered. I also got a txt message from the same tech on Monday telling me that the Service Advisor wanted him to relay the message to me that my motor has been officially ordered. Looks like we'll see what happens now. I also asked to keep the old motor and the Service Advisor said it wasn't possible because Nissan tears down the motors and "runs test on them". I think the bigger reason is the lack of a core would raise too many red-flags with Nissan. Hopefully this thing will be a little faster too.

Last edited by bigdv519; 05-18-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2009, 05:59 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Nissan wants the motors so they can tear them down, rebuild them, and ship them back out as new units restamped with AC7MZ.

The engine will not be faster until it's at least broken in, which can take upwards of 10k miles. It *is* a "smoother" engine, in my experience, though.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
Wardriver25

I just got my engine replaced. I asked the manager which model of engine I got and he didn't know. Do you know where can I check that in the engine? Do you think I got a V2? thank you

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion