Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 09:05 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Engine physically doesn't have TSB part number stamped on it. Only your paperwork will/'should' indicate V2 longblock part number.

V2 does have a engine number stamped, but those are unique to every V2 built like a different VIN number to every vehicle.
Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 PM
ArCtM

UPDATE My 3rd engine which is my 2nd V2 is officially failing. I will be following through with lemon law and I'm going to try to get a full buy back.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:47 AM
z32-z33

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just picked up my car from the dealership this morning with a V2. It took them 3 days to do the swap, and now its the waiting game for me to see if the motor still burns oil.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:04 PM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wardriver25
I just got my engine replaced. I asked the manager which model of engine I got and he didn't know. Do you know where can I check that in the engine? Do you think I got a V2? thank you
They should only have v2's to replace your engine. If you have an invoice there should be a part number on it. The part should be 10102-AC7MZ.

Your service guy should be able to tell you the part shipped to them over the phone if they just pull up the work order.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:58 PM
bigdv519

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I already have 60 miles on my new engine. I wasn't told of any break-in procedure by ANYONE. Also, I was told I only have 12,000 miles/12 months warranty on the new engine. Here's a pic.
Attached Thumbnails RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-img00056-20090521-1401.jpeg  
Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 AM
06CPV35

If it's warranty replacement, it still follows what's left on factory powertrain warranty coverage...
Old 05-26-2009, 11:32 AM
zombiepop

I recently had the oil consumption test. I checked the oil level at 1200 miles, before I brought it in to the Nissan dealership for them to check it. The level was half way up the cross-hatched mark which I always believed to be half a quart low. After I drop it off, Nissan called me up and told me it was barely a quarter of a quart low.

I talked to the service advisor, and he told me they don't use the dipstick to check the amount of oil, they drain it to see how much is in the car. At this point I'm thinking BS because it doesn't follow the TSB. He later changes his story saying they use a mm reading on the dipstick.

I asked him what the reading was, and he tells me he's going to go check. He leaves the office for a couple minutes (I don't know where he went) and when he comes back he tells me it was at 5mm which is within the OK field. He says it is fine, and acts like the problem is solved. My car has less than 25k miles and I don't think it should be burning any oil at all. I asked him if I can come back in another 1000 miles and he asks me why I would need to do that.

Since they didn't find anything "wrong" I was charged $125. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I continue trying to get the warranty fix? Am I wrong in believing the cross hatched mark on the dipstick represents 1 quart or atleast a relative estimate? Any suggestions would be useful.

Thanks!

Last edited by zombiepop; 05-26-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: grammar errors
Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Yikes. So much wrong in your story... shame on that dealer. I would call Nissan North America to report your experience - and DEMAND my $125 back. That is complete B.S.! Then, I would find a different dealer/service department to work with.

According to your personal findings - you failed the TSB and should be getting a new engine.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM
06CPV35

^ Agree 1000%.

Zombie...hate to say, but you got played bad.
Take the TSB with you next time.

G/L

Last edited by 06CPV35; 05-26-2009 at 09:19 PM. Reason: added: take TSB next time...
Old 05-26-2009, 09:41 PM
ZeeForce

Yep, report the wrong doings of that dealer to Nissan North America. You can find the tele phone number on the first post of this thread along with the TSB.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:17 AM
yellowlady

Originally Posted by zombiepop
I recently had the oil consumption test. I checked the oil level at 1200 miles, before I brought it in to the Nissan dealership for them to check it. The level was half way up the cross-hatched mark which I always believed to be half a quart low. After I drop it off, Nissan called me up and told me it was barely a quarter of a quart low.

I talked to the service advisor, and he told me they don't use the dipstick to check the amount of oil, they drain it to see how much is in the car. At this point I'm thinking BS because it doesn't follow the TSB. He later changes his story saying they use a mm reading on the dipstick.

I asked him what the reading was, and he tells me he's going to go check. He leaves the office for a couple minutes (I don't know where he went) and when he comes back he tells me it was at 5mm which is within the OK field. He says it is fine, and acts like the problem is solved. My car has less than 25k miles and I don't think it should be burning any oil at all. I asked him if I can come back in another 1000 miles and he asks me why I would need to do that.

Since they didn't find anything "wrong" I was charged $125. Any suggestions on what I should do? Should I continue trying to get the warranty fix? Am I wrong in believing the cross hatched mark on the dipstick represents 1 quart or atleast a relative estimate? Any suggestions would be useful.

Thanks!

This is a crazy story! They charged you $125 to check the oil level. My experience could not be more different. About 2 months ago I noticed my oil pressure gauge was in the low end and not very responsive to engine revs. I checked my oil level and it was 2 quarts low. I took the car to my dealer, (Nationwide Nissan, Timonium, Md.) and they said they would do an oil consumption test. I needed to come back in 1 thousand miles.

I took the car in yesterday, and the tech has the car for about 45 minutes, and I was thinking that was a long time to simply check the oil level.
My service rep comes out and tells me I am 2 quarts low in 1,000 miles-I will be getting a new engine. She tells me she will call me in about a week when the new engine arrives.

I have to admit my dealer, and service rep are incredible. While my Z has not needed much warranty work, my Titan is another story, and Nationwide has never once disputed a claim or tried to get out of doing the work.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:50 PM
Derek07

I havent posted in a long while, and with my car showing signs once again of the black soot plague, I figured I would post for anyone still keeping tally's.

This is my 2nd V2 engine (so 3 engines so far), and at the 5000 mile mark she is sooting up again. It seems to be time for an alternate means instead of just getting engine after engine...so details to come as events happen.

As always, thanks Zeeforce for your efforts in this area
Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm afraid to report on my new engine.. afraid I'll jinx it.

I may wait till the 10k miles mark to give a report. at about the 8k miles point now.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:45 PM
mcbrown35

My 4th engine.. V2 was a quart low on oil change.

New engine at 37,815 (4th engine, V2)
took possesion: 38,630
oil change at 40,303 (replaced radiator 2nd failed radiator, 1st at 20,412) Full Oil
oil change at 44,036 this spring, Full oil
oil change yesterday at 46,216... QUART LOW!!!!

Here we go... wasnt really keeping an eye on oil levels... now it starts...
Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
06CPV35

Found this on another OC thread. Great resource for ppl with continuous fails:
http://nissan350z-infinitig35oilconsumption.com/

ZeeForce
Please put on first post for ppl who need to go legal with the buy-back route. Thanx.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:49 AM
350Z_GTS

Originally Posted by 06CPV35

ZeeForce
Please put on first post for ppl who need to go legal with the buy-back route. Thanx.
This is the site i contacted actually lol. Just did last week, the guy I spoke with is really cool. I'll keep all updated on what happens, but the lawyer seems very confident. Either way, if they dont win they dont get money so i win either way i suppose, either another engine or a buy back. Hoping for the buy back By the way, can the dealer seal the dip stick. on my consumption test it said they sealed the cap (yea obviously) and the drain plug, but also the filter and dipstick??? And yea, it seems the v2 burns more oil. 10k and already a qt down so im doing the test now but again, hopefully the buy back happens b4 the buyback.

Last edited by 350Z_GTS; 06-17-2009 at 12:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-17-2009, 09:04 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Derek07
I havent posted in a long while, and with my car showing signs once again of the black soot plague, I figured I would post for anyone still keeping tally's.

This is my 2nd V2 engine (so 3 engines so far), and at the 5000 mile mark she is sooting up again. It seems to be time for an alternate means instead of just getting engine after engine...so details to come as events happen.

As always, thanks Zeeforce for your efforts in this area

Not good Derek, I would go far a replacement vehicle. i am sure there are only 07-08 HR models left in their inventory at this point. You would be the first I have heard of to get a replacement. That was my plan all along if mine had gone south. Actually I would have milked the OC engine until there was on 370Z's left in the inventory for a replacement. Nothing wrong with the HR motor.

As far as taking the hush hush money and having the engine rebuilt.....dunno know, you would have to investigate that area, if its one you were considering.

Thanks for your kind words, and lets keep in touch.

Curtis
Old 06-17-2009, 09:10 PM
ZeeForce

ZeeForce
I'll see if I can update the first page. I may have lost the pw.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:21 PM
ZeeForce

ZeeForce
Great find, looks like another lawyer looking to cash in on our problems. Nothing wrong with that as long as we get a fair shake, no harm putting some ching-a-ling on their pockets.

I do like the last paragraph that stated "may be a candidate for a new replacement vehicle".

*******Below is the content of the web link.**************

Understanding the Problem
Do you own a 2003-2009 Nissan 350Z or Infiniti G35 with excessive oil consumption problems?

The Nissan factory has identified some vehicles that may experience excessive oil consumption, and in some cases the engines require major mechanical repairs, or complete engine replacement. On these cars the factory usually replaces the engine once an “oil consumption test” is performed, and the results come back that the vehicle’s consumption is out of factory oil usage specifications.

You may have a vehicle that also experiences “CHECK ENGINE” (which typically indicates an engine mis-fire condition) light illumination. This can be caused by excessive build-up of motor oil on the spark plug electrode. The “CHECK ENGINE” light may be simply an indicator of the oil consumption problem.

Typical normal oil consumption for these V-6 series engines is a quart of oil in 1,200-5,000 miles. Usage of a quart or more in 1,000 miles or less indicates internal engine issues, requiring repairs or engine replacement.

California’s Largest Statewide Lemon Law Firm

You may have a “lemon” 350Z or G35! We can help!

Our law firm is currently collecting data statewide on the performance, durability and effectiveness of the engine replacements done on these vehicles, as well as the oil consumption levels on 350Z’s and G35’s that have not yet had their engine’s replaced, but are experiencing the excessive oil consumption issue.

We would like to stress that this is not an issue that affects every Nissan or Infiniti owner. This is, however, an issue that is affecting some owners of these 350Z and G35 vehicles, much to their frustration.

We invite all California consumers who have had 3 or more visits to a Nissan or Infiniti dealership for excessive oil consumption/use on 350Z or G35 to call us on our toll-free information line at 1-800-647-8127. You may be a candidate for a buyback (repurchase), new replacement vehicle, or a substantial cash settlement payment for your 350Z or G35 vehicle. Call us today for a free case evaluation and what your rights are under the lemon law statute.
Email Us @ experts4u@aol.com

Do you live in a state other than California?
www.LemonLawsUSA.com

******** end of content from web link *********
Old 06-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Boogshag

im sure i missed the answer to this question somewhere...but i cant read through 200+ pages of this thread! i bought a salvaged 350z and am in the process of fixing it up, and it just do happens to be a MT 06. has 32k miles. does the car have to be under warranty to even have the chance to be considered for the swap? the car isnt repaired yet so im not even sure if it has the consumption problem, but i figured i would ask.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion