Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 PM
mikead_99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least it is encouraging that they are replacing the entire long block for that customer. It seems that guys getting just the short block aren't having their problem resolved.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:05 PM
350Z_LMS

thanks alrific for sharing this info with us.

I will be taking mt 35th anniv in to Nissan in january for inspection. my car goes through oil like a clapped out turbo car. I am constantly keeping a record of the oil consumption in the meantime.

a friend here in italy with the very same car (nickname "***") has his car been looked at by Nissan as we speak. techline italy are on the case with a constant flow of info, pics etc from techline to dealer and back. car has been there for 10 days but still no clue as to what the problem is. will get back with info as soon as we have any, that's for sure.

the guy in the US that has had his long block replaced: has he had problems since? we need a precedent just like in legal matters! keep the info coming!
Old 12-05-2006, 11:10 PM
350Z_LMS

Originally Posted by alrific
You guys are never gonna believe this. I've spent the last several days asking around the shop to see who has done what about consumption and trying to get my shop foreman to pry some info out of his contacts at Nissan. And I've gotten next to nothing. The guys who have dealt w/oil burners have not been able to get their customers to return for follow ups and Nissan ain't talking. Was about to let it go when a tech pulled me aside and told me he had one. This car came in 2mths ago, less than 800mi on it and 3qts low on oil. Techline had the tech start an oil consumption test and told the cust to return in 700mi. That was the last we saw of him. Customer has since put on 2000mi and was 3qts low(again). This time Techline was all over the problem. They wanted to know everything about his driving habits, daily driven, driven hard or babied, short or long trips, everything. Long story short Nissan told us to put a long block in it. More importantly they were very specific about wanting the entire engine back, most especially they don't want us to remove the VVT solenoids. I'm guessing that soon as this thing gets back to Nissan its going on the engine dyno for some serious testing. Read into this what you want, but it looks like Nissan doesn't know if its a hardware or software problem.
I have a feeling my friend's engine will be taken out as well, will keep you posted
Old 12-05-2006, 11:12 PM
350Z_LMS

oops I meant "replaced" as oppesed to taken out...it's already out of the engine bay!
Old 12-06-2006, 07:39 AM
cox

You're correct.....it's already out of the engine bay!
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 AM
rfinkle2

i haven' quantified the oil burn problem exactly, but burn quite a bit of oil compared to other sports cars I've owned in my 06 rev-up.

My question for those burning lots of oil, do you / did you guys ping @ low rpm's? (i.e. 2000 - 3000).
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 AM
350Z_LMS

yes, both stock and after plenum spacer install and before the UTEC install
Old 12-06-2006, 12:26 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Pinging can be taken care of by retarding timing.

The real question is this. From all the 06's that do consume oil, are any of them auto? The autos have the 287 motors compared to the MT's who have the REVUP.

If we narrow it down, we might crack the code! j/k On a serious note, it would be helpful to know if the REVUP motors are the ones that have this problem.

It's funny how they made the REVUP motor for only one year, .

They probably spent most of the time perfecting the HR motor.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:34 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Pinging can be taken care of by retarding timing.

The real question is this. From all the 06's that do consume oil, are any of them auto? The autos have the 287 motors compared to the MT's who have the REVUP.

If we narrow it down, we might crack the code! j/k On a serious note, it would be helpful to know if the REVUP motors are the ones that have this problem.

It's funny how they made the REVUP motor for only one year, .

They probably spent most of the time perfecting the HR motor.
Wouldnt retarding the timing affect performance/power??

From what Ive read, the revups are the ones with consumption problems out of the 2006 cars. Ive heard of a few people (pre-2006) with consumption, but maybe they had the 05 Aniv. which also had a revup.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:58 PM
350Z_LMS

Originally Posted by aren21

From what Ive read, the revups are the ones with consumption problems out of the 2006 cars. Ive heard of a few people (pre-2006) with consumption, but maybe they had the 05 Aniv. which also had a revup.
That's right, 35th anniv with the same oil consumption problem...
Old 12-07-2006, 07:12 AM
rfinkle2

i actually had the timing retarded by 2 degrees by the dealership, and the car was still pinging, although not as consistently.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:38 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by rfinkle2
i actually had the timing retarded by 2 degrees by the dealership, and the car was still pinging, although not as consistently.
Check what grade gas you are using. If you use anything less than 91 it will ping. Are you sure your timing was set at 0 base timing when you got the car? If it was advanced 2 degrees, and the dealer retarded it 2 degrees, then you would be at 0 base timing. If you are actually at -2 base timing, i'm curious as to why it would ping. I would replace the spark plugs with 1 step colder copper ngk's and put high grade gas. If that doesn't take care of the problem, take it in.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:41 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by aren21

I always thought retarding will decrease torque at low rpm and gain a bit at high rpm. Advancing will increase torque at low rpm but lose hp at high.

The numbers aren't even that big, maybe 1 or 2 hp. If you advanced your timing and run race gas then that is a different story. As long as the ecu doesn't detect any ping, because if it does, it will automatically retard timing from base timing.
Old 12-07-2006, 02:48 PM
240Zplus110

Like others, mine consumes oil and pings with 94 octane gas at about 2500-2700 rpm under load.

Both problems have been documented by the local dealer and in both cases they say both are "normal".

They did a consumption test but found it was less than what Nissan tech support said was high. So I'm now in my second round of tests with no solution in sight.
Old 12-08-2006, 06:11 AM
350Z_LMS

ok, so what is normal for nissan techline then? this is really depressing guys...
Old 12-08-2006, 07:29 AM
97supratt

Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
ok, so what is normal for nissan techline then? this is really depressing guys...
If you are referring to oil consumption it is 1qt per 1k miles. If you are referring to pinging, usually dealer will test the gasoline you use, and they will retard the timing.

If it still pings, it will be minor. The main thing to worry about is ping or detonation when going WOT in the 4500-6000 rpm range. That is the most dangerous area for detonation to occur. Low rpm pinging is caused by the ecu transition of timing, it might advance too much therefore causing minor pinging.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:59 AM
350Z_LMS

I was referring to oil consumption...your quart in the US is approx 0.95liters right? 1k miles is 1600kms, so we're looking at approx 1700km for each liter of oil according to techline...I'm getting approx 1000km for each liter. So, I'm depressed as well as pretty worried...where the hell is this oil coming from? Friend of mine has same engine and same problem. Oil catch can fitted, no sign of oil in there. Has my lower plenum swapped for an MREV and I had an oil puddle in the bottom of the plenum. Is that normal?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:14 PM
usafmech

What are you guys calling 'pinging'? Valve chatter, or detonation? Just curious, 'cause I was experiencing noisy-as* valves, made the switch to some NGK Iridium's, and problem solved.

No oil issues to date, purchased June 06, switched to Mobile 1 @ 1k, changed oil again @ 4k, currently @ 5600k. Broke in like a borrowed mule. (sorry, old southern expression..lol)

Also, doesn't the engine itself have a VIN #? Maybe we could create a database with engine build dates & oil issues. I don't know how to read the dates on a VIN #, but I'm sure someone could help out.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:51 AM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikead_99
At least it is encouraging that they are replacing the entire long block for that customer. It seems that guys getting just the short block aren't having their problem resolved.
Tell me about it man
Old 12-09-2006, 07:24 AM
350Z_LMS

Originally Posted by Chad68
Tell me about it man
what sort of oil consumption are you getting?

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion