Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 08:43 AM
aren21

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by usafmech
What are you guys calling 'pinging'? Valve chatter, or detonation? Just curious, 'cause I was experiencing noisy-as* valves, made the switch to some NGK Iridium's, and problem solved.

No oil issues to date, purchased June 06, switched to Mobile 1 @ 1k, changed oil again @ 4k, currently @ 5600k. Broke in like a borrowed mule. (sorry, old southern expression..lol)

Also, doesn't the engine itself have a VIN #? Maybe we could create a database with engine build dates & oil issues. I don't know how to read the dates on a VIN #, but I'm sure someone could help out.
did you go with the regular NGK or did youget the one step colder to solve the pinging/detonation??
Old 12-09-2006, 09:03 AM
usafmech

Originally Posted by aren21
did you go with the regular NGK or did youget the one step colder to solve the pinging/detonation??
Colder--NGK LFR6AIX-11

Some good info in this thread:https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=NGK

Some said it helped, others not sure.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:22 AM
aren21

Originally Posted by usafmech
Colder--NGK LFR6AIX-11

Some good info in this thread:https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....&highlight=NGK

Some said it helped, others not sure.
Thanks, I think I had read that before but it has good info. Did you notice any power loss, drop in fuel economy, or less throttle response with the plugs??
Old 12-09-2006, 09:33 AM
usafmech

Thanks, I think I had read that before but it has good info. Did you notice any power loss, drop in fuel economy, or less throttle response with the plugs??
Nope. Only thing I noticed was less valve chatter.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:25 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by 97supratt
If you are referring to oil consumption it is 1qt per 1k miles. If you are referring to pinging, usually dealer will test the gasoline you use, and they will retard the timing.

If it still pings, it will be minor. The main thing to worry about is ping or detonation when going WOT in the 4500-6000 rpm range. That is the most dangerous area for detonation to occur. Low rpm pinging is caused by the ecu transition of timing, it might advance too much therefore causing minor pinging.
So, if you have synthetic oil as I do and the recommended oil change is at 5k, you are out of oil by the time it is recommended to change it. That is BS! 1qt per 1000 miles is excessive, but so is 1/3 of a qt. We are only talking 1000 miles, Nissan! It appears that Nissan is not going to own up to this. Just keep pestering. At some point, I am going to go back to conventional oil and have oil consumption tests done with that. It should burn through that faster than the synthetic.

For everyone with this issues, just keep at these people. Remember what it took for Nissan to admimt to the tire feathering issues with the 03 models.
Old 12-09-2006, 10:50 PM
Chad68

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
what sort of oil consumption are you getting?

Mine drinks about 1/2 to more like 1 quart every 1,000 miles. And that's after they replaced the short block.

The consumption is exactlly the same as before they replaced the short block. When I did my 3,000 mile oil consumption test it averaged 1 quart every 1,000 miles.

I don't think it's the block, so for now I'm just waiting until Nissan figures out what the hell the problem is with some of these '06's.

If I hadn't spent so much money modding the car, I would have shoved it down their throats by now.

Other than that and the $hitty a$$ paint and a couple small annoying quirks, the car is fun as hell....

So since I'm stuck with it for better or worse, I'm continuing to mod it cuz I'm messed up like that.

I can't stop buying crap for the engine bay now

Last edited by Chad68; 12-09-2006 at 10:53 PM.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:50 AM
350Z_LMS

chad, we're in the very same boat. another friend here "***" is having his engine inspected, but Nissan are clueless...
Old 12-10-2006, 09:52 PM
slinksZ

I got my oiled changed today and in three thousand miles the engine burned a little over 2 qts. The technician mentioned it to me. I think i am going to swing by the dealer tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:38 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbasal
So, if you have synthetic oil as I do and the recommended oil change is at 5k, you are out of oil by the time it is recommended to change it. That is BS! 1qt per 1000 miles is excessive, but so is 1/3 of a qt. We are only talking 1000 miles, Nissan! It appears that Nissan is not going to own up to this. Just keep pestering. At some point, I am going to go back to conventional oil and have oil consumption tests done with that. It should burn through that faster than the synthetic.

For everyone with this issues, just keep at these people. Remember what it took for Nissan to admimt to the tire feathering issues with the 03 models.
These engines are burning too much oil, its obviously not piston rings or else we would have residue in the catch cans. I'm afraid the valve timing adjustment they are doing will lower the performance specs.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:41 PM
silverZ2006

I have about 1200 miles on my 06 it was built in 05/06. It ate about a 1/2 qt in the first 500 miles, but it hasn't eating anything at all in the last 700 miles.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:49 AM
rfinkle2

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Check what grade gas you are using. If you use anything less than 91 it will ping. Are you sure your timing was set at 0 base timing when you got the car? If it was advanced 2 degrees, and the dealer retarded it 2 degrees, then you would be at 0 base timing. If you are actually at -2 base timing, i'm curious as to why it would ping. I would replace the spark plugs with 1 step colder copper ngk's and put high grade gas. If that doesn't take care of the problem, take it in.
I've used nothing but 93 octane Shell Gasoline since the car had 7 miles on it. I wouldn't have any idea about the timing from the factory, I just know that the dealership retarded the timing by 2 degrees and the car was still pinging.

BTW, i think it is insane that I have to change the plugs to one step colder to see if i can fix Nissan's problem.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:54 AM
rfinkle2

sorry to double post, but i am so fed up with the problem and waiting for a fix, that i decided to try and trade my car for the new mazdaspeed 3.

the dealership wouldn't go a dime higher than $18500 for my car, ( a base siverstone that you could eat off of with 15000 miles) the dealership called his wholesaler and actually used the word " showroom car " to him, and the wholesaler said he is simply loaded w z's and the highest he would go was 18500.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:03 AM
dbasal

Originally Posted by rfinkle2
sorry to double post, but i am so fed up with the problem and waiting for a fix, that i decided to try and trade my car for the new mazdaspeed 3.

the dealership wouldn't go a dime higher than $18500 for my car, ( a base siverstone that you could eat off of with 15000 miles) the dealership called his wholesaler and actually used the word " showroom car " to him, and the wholesaler said he is simply loaded w z's and the highest he would go was 18500.

I do not blame you one bit! I actually considered doing the same (do not have a particular car in mind), but figured I would lose too much. I would hate to tell Nissan, but their idea of what constitutes an oil consumption issue is crazy! During a 1000 mile test, there should be 0 loss. If there is even 1/3 qt loss, that is a problem and they need to fix it.

Sorry to rant, but like a lot of other people, I am sick of going to the dealer every 1000 miles just to hear "Sorry, Nissan does not feel you are burning enough to do anything about it".
Old 12-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Interlagos Fire

Originally Posted by dbasal
I do not blame you one bit! I actually considered doing the same (do not have a particular car in mind), but figured I would lose too much. I would hate to tell Nissan, but their idea of what constitutes an oil consumption issue is crazy! During a 1000 mile test, there should be 0 loss. If there is even 1/3 qt loss, that is a problem and they need to fix it.

Sorry to rant, but like a lot of other people, I am sick of going to the dealer every 1000 miles just to hear "Sorry, Nissan does not feel you are burning enough to do anything about it".

Same problem here, buring 1/2 quart per 900 miles.
Currently on my 2nd test for consumption of oil!

I also got the other infamouse Z problem, with the fuel tank that's unable to fill up at the pumps. I just got a whole new fuel tank and sending unit replaced and NOW...... Voila.....same old problem at the pumps.
This is the 2nd time the dealer tried to fix it under warrenty in less than 3 months, will something like this issue quantifies near the lemon law if 3x tries couldn't fix it?
Old 12-11-2006, 05:52 PM
aren21

I finished my consumption test, it burned 1/4 quart in 1k miles. Before I started the test, it burned 1/4 quart in only 500-600 miles. I used the same oil (mobil 1 5-30), so now Im supposed to take it in 1k miles later. The guy said according to nissan, 1quart every 3,500 is normal (about 1/3 quart every 1k miles) He said if my car consumes more than that, he will have no problem replacing the engine. I dont care to get a new engine unless nissan fixes the problem. Im not going leave the car there for weeks or however long it takes just to get another oil burning engine. So another 800 miles of driving to see what happens.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:02 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by Interlagos Fire
Same problem here, buring 1/2 quart per 900 miles.
Currently on my 2nd test for consumption of oil!

I also got the other infamouse Z problem, with the fuel tank that's unable to fill up at the pumps. I just got a whole new fuel tank and sending unit replaced and NOW...... Voila.....same old problem at the pumps.
This is the 2nd time the dealer tried to fix it under warrenty in less than 3 months, will something like this issue quantifies near the lemon law if 3x tries couldn't fix it?
Damn that fuel tank! I've only had an issue with one pump before. It is enough to drive one crazy. That god it seemed to be a pump issue for me and not the tank (or at least not yet).
Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 PM
dbasal

I finished my consumption test, it burned 1/4 quart in 1k miles. Before I started the test, it burned 1/4 quart in only 500-600 miles. I used the same oil (mobil 1 5-30), so now Im supposed to take it in 1k miles later. The guy said according to nissan, 1quart every 3,500 is normal (about 1/3 quart every 1k miles) He said if my car consumes more than that, he will have no problem replacing the engine. I dont care to get a new engine unless nissan fixes the problem. Im not going leave the car there for weeks or however long it takes just to get another oil burning engine. So another 800 miles of driving to see what happens.
If that is what Nissan is going to stand by, then they are going to be changing out a lot of engines. Mine will certainly go through that much no problem at all.

Mine is odd though. This time I seemed to go down 1/3 in about 200 miles and then was at 1/2 down at 500 miles. Since 500 miles (now just shy of 1000), it has not gone down anything noticeable. Last test I was down 2/3 qt is 1000 miles. First test was "officially" 1/3 qt, although I argue that because I know it was 1/2 qt down. If mine does not lose much more that would mean:

1/3 First 1000
2/3 Second 1000
1/2 Third 1000
------

1.5 qt / 3000 miles

That is better than my 3000-7000 mile consumption with conventional oil. After 3000 it did not even register on the dipstick.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:48 PM
bofa

I'm only driving it like 2 days a week now so my consumption test seems to be dragging on forever... hell by my next interval, there may be a real fix.. not likely though.
Old 12-11-2006, 08:51 PM
dbasal

Originally Posted by bofa
I'm only driving it like 2 days a week now so my consumption test seems to be dragging on forever... hell by my next interval, there may be a real fix.. not likely though.
I was wondering about that. I'm sure we would have a lot more issues if the Z was everyone's daily driver and it was not winter up north. Most people may never notice because they do not put enough miles on it consistently.
Old 12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
350Z_LMS

still no news from Nissan here in Italy on the 35th anniv Z...

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion