Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 01:00 PM
cox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by 350Z_LMS
still no news from Nissan here in Italy on the 35th anniv Z...
They're going to change my engine with a new one... but i think that they still dont know why my engine burns oil....
Old 12-12-2006, 01:39 PM
350Z_LMS

that's even more depressing
Old 12-12-2006, 01:40 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I didnt read the whole thread, but can somebody answer--->do all Revups have this issue, or is this like a 50/50 chance? Has anybody tried using really good oil like Motul? Maybe a little thicker? 10w-40, 20w-50?

Edit-guess I answered the first part of my Q

One thing I do not understand is this. If it is the ECM that has too much valve overlap then all the 05-06 REVUPS should be affected right? Well they aren't, some have oil consumption problems (1 qt every 1k miles), and some don't.]
The following users liked this post:
g0lfball3R (09-21-2020)
Old 12-12-2006, 01:42 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
I didnt read the whole thread, but can somebody answer--->do all Revups have this issue, or is this like a 50/50 chance? Has anybody tried using really good oil like Motul? Maybe a little thicker? 10w-40, 20w-50?

Edit-guess I answered the first part of my Q
My first oil change was to royal purple 10W30. It started drinking more oil, so I changed to redline 10W40 which sorta helped but it still consumes.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:03 PM
slinksZ

Ok I went to the dealer today, because my 06 revup burned 2.5 qts between 3000 mile oil change. I told the service writer that I use mobile 1 5/30. He then tried to convince me that Nissan uses soft rings and that since synthetic oil is so slick that it may be sliding by the rings. I had to laugh. I am no engine genious, but I know that if the oil was getting by the rings that the car should be smoking. I have to bring my car in next week and they are going to do a consumption test. He also admitted they have been having issues out of the 06 Altima 3.5 engines. I have no idea if they are revup engines or not. It seems that nissan may be having issues accross the board with 06 3.5's.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:09 PM
aren21

Yea my dealer admit that they had some altimas with oil consumption, and they replaced their engines, but never heard of it on the Z.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:24 PM
cowzrul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to the stealership yesterday because my dipstick was below the H mark. I admit it was just a touch below the H and the service manager stated that was less then 1/4 quart. He said at the rate I am going I will use about 1/2 quart at 3000 miles (I am at 1400 now). He further stated that was acceptable tolerance.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PoweredbyZ
I went to the stealership yesterday because my dipstick was below the H mark. I admit it was just a touch below the H and the service manager stated that was less then 1/4 quart. He said at the rate I am going I will use about 1/2 quart at 3000 miles (I am at 1400 now). He further stated that was acceptable tolerance.
1/2 quart in 3000 miles is normal and is def within tolerance, you seem to be one of the lucky few.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:21 PM
alrific

Originally Posted by Chad68
Mine drinks about 1/2 to more like 1 quart every 1,000 miles. And that's after they replaced the short block.

The consumption is exactlly the same as before they replaced the short block. When I did my 3,000 mile oil consumption test it averaged 1 quart every 1,000 miles.

I don't think it's the block, so for now I'm just waiting until Nissan figures out what the hell the problem is with some of these '06's.

If I hadn't spent so much money modding the car, I would have shoved it down their throats by now.

Other than that and the $hitty a$$ paint and a couple small annoying quirks, the car is fun as hell....

So since I'm stuck with it for better or worse, I'm continuing to mod it cuz I'm messed up like that.

I can't stop buying crap for the engine bay now
The fact that a short block did not fix this cars consumption problem should be telling us a lot. The root cause has got to be in the top end. I was suspicious of the rings b/c of the problems that Altimas are having. But it has to be a valve issue.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:33 PM
slinksZ

I read in another thread to quit using mobil 1 and this would help. I really find this hard to believe, considering I have always ran mobile 1. Has any one else heard this? If changing the short block is not the issue, I am going to second guess letting the dealer just start throwing parts at the car. I can not believe Nissan has not found the problem and started correcting the issue as people bring their cars in. It seems like that would be easier than recalling the cars.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
aren21

Originally Posted by alrific
The fact that a short block did not fix this cars consumption problem should be telling us a lot. The root cause has got to be in the top end. I was suspicious of the rings b/c of the problems that Altimas are having. But it has to be a valve issue.
The problem could still be the bottom end, not the heads. Nissan hasnt found the problem, so IF the problem is the rings, or anything else bottom end related, they could be replacing defected engines with another defected engine. Untill those morons find out whats wrong, I dont think we will know if its the top or bottom end.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:51 PM
slinksZ

I am throwing the BS flag at nissan. The testing that goes into these engines, somewhere along the line they had to encounter this issue, and if not they know now and should have their engineers all over it. It is hard for me to say replace the short block, and have to bring the car back 3000 miles later for the same issue.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:01 AM
Brocken

aren and slinks-that's exactly what my issue is with Nissan. One, if they do replace an engine who's to say it won't have the same problem. And two, how the heck can they not know what the problem is after months of bad engines.
I think they're just putting off making an official announcement until they have to. They try to brush off as many claims as they can.
It took them forever to do a recall on the bad engines in the Altimas and they only did so because the government stepped in.
Old 12-13-2006, 09:16 AM
aren21

^ yea I dont think they will do anything about the Z's oil consumption unless the government makes them, which pisses me off!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:13 AM
350Z_LMS

Originally Posted by slinksZ
I am throwing the BS flag at nissan. The testing that goes into these engines, somewhere along the line they had to encounter this issue, and if not they know now and should have their engineers all over it. It is hard for me to say replace the short block, and have to bring the car back 3000 miles later for the same issue.
+1
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 PM
doctorshumes

Default RPM and oil consumption

The fact that replacing the short block and that people are not noticing oil in the catch can points out that it is not likely rings. How is the Rev-up engine different? I know the plenum is different. I believe the timing, VVT, is different as well. Earlier in this thread it was stated the Nissan felt it was due to an overlap in valve timing. Also, Im wondering if there is a major difference in oil consumption depending on whether one shifts at 3k rpm vs 4k vs 5k+ rpm. My guess would be that there is a difference, especially if the engine rpm is 5k+ while the engine is still cold and the oil pressure fairly high. I have not done a complete 1K miles while shifting at 3K rpm, but I do check the oil weekly and the rate of oil decline does seem to increase after hard driving with increased revs. This would be consistent with Nissans idea. Anyway, still waiting for Nissan to figure it out. Will make it a known issue at the dealership and then wait until Nissan hopefully comes up with an acceptable solution.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by doctorshumes
The fact that replacing the short block and that people are not noticing oil in the catch can points out that it is not likely rings. How is the Rev-up engine different? I know the plenum is different. I believe the timing, VVT, is different as well. Earlier in this thread it was stated the Nissan felt it was due to an overlap in valve timing. Also, Im wondering if there is a major difference in oil consumption depending on whether one shifts at 3k rpm vs 4k vs 5k+ rpm. My guess would be that there is a difference, especially if the engine rpm is 5k+ while the engine is still cold and the oil pressure fairly high. I have not done a complete 1K miles while shifting at 3K rpm, but I do check the oil weekly and the rate of oil decline does seem to increase after hard driving with increased revs. This would be consistent with Nissans idea. Anyway, still waiting for Nissan to figure it out. Will make it a known issue at the dealership and then wait until Nissan hopefully comes up with an acceptable solution.
"I have not done a complete 1K miles while shifting at 3K rpm, but I do check the oil weekly and the rate of oil decline does seem to increase after hard driving with increased revs."

You may be right. I obeyed Nissan's 4000 RPM rule for the first 1200 miles, only exceeded it a few times. At 1200 miles I was down 1/4 of a quart. Started driving normal and enjoying the car after that, and at 2400 I was below the "L" mark on the dipstick. With no oil in the catch can on replaced short blocks, this might be a VVT issue. If a reprogram could fix that, but dropped horsepower back towards the previous 287 level, would Nissan be guilty of false advertising on the '06 HP rating? Maybe they know the answer to the fix if it is a VVT issue, and don't want to publically discuss due to "legal" ramifications.

John
Old 12-13-2006, 08:23 PM
RBlover69

god knowing the issue with nissan u have to be a scientologist, lmao u just have to be at the degree and level to know or else ur lost lmao.

i believe personally that maybey the revup maybey pushing the current timing or programming to far. I mean its a drastic change also from 287 to 300 , that they had to beef the internals etc . Its almost like the revup was a beta engine to the 300+ HR lol. I mean , the only thing that would be horrible would be going to get the issue fixed and finding ur tune is set at a 287 tune and that ur top end has been reset to 05 standards. That would suck man. Imagine them even lowering the revs lmao. God my car has been nominal with oil so far in my revup but i only have like 500 miles on her. But i will be doing a oil change soon. And wondering what oil 10w30 would be appropriate. I think for that extra hp uptop nissan maybey was to aggressive with there programming. I mean there are not many engines as tuned and built like the rev-up if u look at it not even the is350s engine is reinforced as the revups nor as aggressive build wise.

On a more funny note i was making fun of my friend in his rx8 for oil consumption and he now has jokes on my revup saying they wanted to rev like a wankel now it has the wankel curse. Damn....guess the jokes now on us revup guys, .lol note to self if u own a revup dont diss reneisis motor owners. lmao

Last edited by RBlover69; 12-13-2006 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:56 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys need to understand, anytime you have the ability to rev very high in a internal combustion engine, you will have some sort of oil consumption.

Sad part is, we only rev till 7k rpm and we have these issues. It would be normal if we revved till 8k+ but until 7k and have all these problems is silly.
Old 12-14-2006, 12:07 PM
350Z_LMS

and we're also getting a problem WITHOUT revving to 7k which is even worse! my friend has not been told whether the whole engine will be replaced or the short block only...

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion