Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM
anate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see. the new engine is getting delayed though. What about the newest 2007/2008 g35 motor. Is it too early to tell if that one is burning oil? So maybe the hand built one works, but they are supposedly making a better engine with cast piston rings. It sounds like I shouldn't hold my breath for that to come out. What a mess.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:31 PM
NeverBoneStock

yeah i had the mods on the other engine!! the simply took them off the old and put them on the new!! I WAS LUCKY!!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:36 PM
anate

Does the HR engine (rather than the rev-up) engine have this problem? is it possible to put this newer HR engine in to replace a rev-up engine rather than a revised rev-up engine (which who knows when it will come out?), or are they totally different? I have a G35 by the way, not a Z. and the hood is different in the Z for the HR engine i understand (more room), leading me to believe it's a different animal. But have they put it in the newer G's - the HR engine, - that is G35 coupes with the old body style and not the new G35 sedan?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:01 PM
9kFever

the HR is a different beast. They would buy your car back before going that route.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 PM
anate

ok. well pls post or pm me if you hear this new engine that is fixed comes out.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:20 AM
peterkim0121

is there anyone did lemon lawed in california ?

i am going to take the car back to dealer tommorow

its been 700 miles since the oil change from dealer .

but i'd like to check oil before i take my car to dealer

how do i know it is consuming more than a quart or less..?
Old 10-08-2007, 09:21 AM
peterkim0121

oh and... i drove sh*t out of it and rev up every single gear

so make sure it consumes a lot of oil... haha..
Old 10-08-2007, 02:23 PM
RBlover69

well, its a known fact that the V-2 does have revised pistons and rings. Othere then that its identical to a regular revup 30% different from the reg DE. My V2 from the state attorney's letters and NNA have given me with the V2 a handbuilt motor with revised pistons and thicker rings and this was the primary resolution the 1quart every 1k issue.
See if they didnt do something i already had my lemon law processed and was about to exercise it when they called me from nyc saying that my V2 was in route to florida along with another persons V2 (dbais i pressume at the time) going to orlando to be put in 2 Zs at the time. I did about 5ks so far on my v2 with 0w40 and no oil consumption whatso ever. I mean the the thing is dead at H. Is it the oil im using because its so thick or is the v2 i dunno but this engines response is hella better then my previous engine and it makes virtually no noise at idle compared to my previous revup which was ticking and sounded like a grasshopper or stop watch was in my hood.

i havent dynod it because i was told since dynos are very harsh pn the engine to take it rather easy on the first 10k. I plan on road racing the car so its been great to see no oil eating thus far. But i will begin another 3k analysis on this thread with pics (if i can learn how to post pics) and replicate the process to show the results.

And reving the motor btw is all good n all but be carefull you dont harm your clutch in trying to make a statement . As u know replacing a clutch is extremely hard depending on the dealer to get them to replace it.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:52 PM
anate

RBlover 69 - your v2 was the one hand-built in japan, which has revised pistons and rings. pls confirm. i would be under VA lemon law, and my car is 35,000 miles non original owner so not sure if it would apply. I'm not assuming I'm not getting one at this point, as I am in the consumption test after failing 1X. Dealer said no reason I should not get one if the problem persists. We'll wait and see.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:58 PM
RBlover69

yes my engine is the handbuilt motor from japan that took almost 3month to get to me. It was 1 of 2 engines that were florida bound. And does have different psitons and rings. There just revised not a complete redue. You may also wanna check if there not giving you a rebuild motor. Which is a reg revup rebuilt. This is a common mistake with dealers from my exprience and have noticed that unless your speaking with the manager and NNA and BBB and the state attorney general of your district you really wont know whats going on.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:05 PM
anate

Yeah I'll be sure to get V2. I don't think I'd subject my car to the stress and possibility for screw up to install the same faulty engine again. I'll have to prove my case that they'll be replacing it more than once then, since they know or need to be shown that the problem is the rings on the old model. Any 'smoking gun' that shows nissan realizes that the piston rings are faulty? . I am going to contact NNA and BBB ASAP and start documenting this.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by Mid117
If I can.
If not, I'll just end up with the new motor + 100k warranty.
Good for you, lucky you for going through BBB as it appears NO ONE here has received the 100k unless they went through BBB. I did not go through BBB, but negotiating with NNA on the 100k ext war.

Originally Posted by RBlover69
heres a good question is the engine code designation Z avaible to be viewed by lookign underneath the engine. Take for instance my engine is a V2 as per confirmed the number from my receit etc . But is there a visible indicator from popping the hood.
Good question. I took some pics of the bare motor with numbers etched; although I do not believe you will see them by popping the hood. They look to be under the lower intake, and near the exhaust manifold. Both probably covered up by now with engine parts. I will find the pics and post them up.

Originally Posted by IbarraZ33
okay, there out! but they still haven't brought the new engines to U.S. yet am i right!?
They are here and have been since mid June. I would make sure the dealer has on order the part # for the V2.

Originally Posted by anate
Wow. Spent much time reading these posts because....
He mentioned, candidly, that the consumption problem, if it persists, will be fixed with a new motor. At least seems like this dealer is willing to work with me to fix it with a new motor, but it sounds like NNA is going to slap the dealer around.
Also, if worst comes to worst, are there more and more V2's coming to the states now? How do I ensure I get one if I do indeed need a new motor?
I would be happy with the new engine if it's a fix. love the car otherwise.
Welcome to the OC club. There is work ahead for you, by dealing with NNA and the dealer. Or go straight to BBB, you will still need to do some work if you do not get an attorney. At least through BBB you will not have to play yo-yo as long with NNA and dealer.

Once the engine is ordered make sure it’s the V2, I believe the G35 engine part # have a “6” instead of the “Z”. May want to look back a few pages. Someone answered it for me.

Originally Posted by neverbonestock
i just had my v2 installed and honestly it does feel like it has more torque and the engine is not as buzzy!!!! it feels stronger , but i could be wrng!! took only 2days for the install and the put all mods on for me!!! kinda funny how things work when you go the bbb route!!!!
Congrats, add yourself to the list compiled. I just updated it a few posts back. Strong and louder mine is!

Originally Posted by 9kFever
Heri at West Covina Nissan is talking about the motor that is supposed to come out with the new piston rings. Not the V2
so maybe I am confused. I was under the impression that the V2 was just a hand built revup. I thought the motor with the new pistons and rings has not been released.
Does the V2 have different rings or pistons?
Whats this other motor that hasnt been released?
Your dealer is behind the times, the V2 engine has new rings and pistons.
There is no other new motor to be released, we would have seen and heard of it. The V2 hand built, new rings, new pistons is the new engine.
Yes the V2 has new rings and pistons.
The dealer again is behind the times, the V2 is the new engine. Keep in mind, if you throw the word v2 out to the dealer or NNA they are not going to know what you are talking about. The V2 term was pinned here on this board. It makes it easier to reference. Also pinned is the V1 which is the original rev up engine. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by antennahead
I was led to believe the hand built had revised rings. And it hasn't been "officially" released as a fix, TSB or recall; but to those that scream loud enough, BBB, sue, etc., you get one.
+1

They also have put me on the list to receive the new revised motor that has been postponed (assuming the v2 consumes as well)
Postponed? I think you are getting some incorrect info from the dealer. These are shipping and the V2’ are not consuming. There are 14 members testing and all that have completed the test are not consuming. The rest are still testing (including myself) and some have still noticed some OC. But no one has gone for a second V2 or been placed on a wait list because NNA is coming out with a newer than V2 engine. We would have heard about it with the members that are getting their 2nd V2 engine. To my knowledge no one has had to go through two V2 engines. They either fixed the OC issue or they are still testing.

just read this thread...according to them nissan told them to stop replacing motors with the v2 because it wasnt solving the problem. They were told only to do it on emergency basis (i.e. car burning 3 qts in 1000 miles). The redesigned motor is still postponed.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....il+consumption

As of mid sept Jeff posted that the new redesigned motor was postponed. So yes the v2 is the same motor as the one your car came with just "hand built" in Japan.
I am not buying this BS. The thread does not state anything about the V2’s are not fixing the issue. There are so many threads out there stuff gets old and people get mis informed. There was not one person on that thread that stated he got the V2. I did see some posts by folk that since then have joined this topic thread, as it the only reliable source. There are 14 here that are testing or finished testing the V2. That dealer may just be waiting for their first shipment of V2’s. I have photos of two shipped on the same day to my dealer, so this dealer must be low on the totem pole for the V2’s. Yes we know it’s the same rev up, BUT it has new pistons and rings, that is the difference, not that it’s just a hand built engine from Japan. The V2 goes without saying.

Until I see a new part # , then its all late news the dealer is getting from NNA it’s all late news and BS about a newer engine than the V2. His new version is the V2. He probably has inventory of long and short block of the V1. Which, yes are the same engine, but do not confuse it with the V2.

Last edited by ZeeForce; 10-08-2007 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:57 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by RBlover69
heres a good question is the engine code designation Z avaible to be viewed by lookign underneath the engine. Take for instance my engine is a V2 as per confirmed the number from my receit etc . But is there a visible indicator from popping the hood.
Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Good question. I took some pics of the bare motor with numbers etched; although I do not believe you will see them by popping the hood. They look to be under the lower intake, and near the exhaust manifold. Both probably covered up by now with engine parts. I will find the pics and post them up.
Some pics of the V2 with other markings on the engine. Dunno if they distinguish it as a V2 without the invoice part # tag as you suggested.

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03732.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03734.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03733.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03736.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03741.jpg
Old 10-08-2007, 06:08 PM
ZeeForce

Guys, it only takes five days once NNA has notified you that the dealer is going to place the order. The dealer usually has to order the part through NNA as if the part # (attached ) is punched into the dealers part look up, it will state” Call NNA". They place it with NNA and 5 days later it's there. As you can see from the pics there are 3 that were ordered on the same day and all three arrived at the dealer on the same day five days later.

Shortage?
My thoughts is that NNA has say as to which dealers are gonna get the inventory once they hit our shores.

Mine came via Nissan Distribution in Compton Calif. 5 days, notice the build days on the pic.
RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03731.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03737.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03739.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03748.jpg

RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion-dsc03745.jpg
Old 10-08-2007, 06:20 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Guys, it only takes five days once NNA has notified you that the dealer is going to place the order. The dealer usually has to order the part through NNA as if the part # (attached ) is punched into the dealers part look up, it will state” Call NNA". They place it with NNA and 5 days later it's there. As you can see from the pics there are 3 that were ordered on the same day and all three arrived at the dealer on the same day five days later.

Shortage?
My thoughts is that NNA has say as to which dealers are gonna get the inventory once they hit our shores.

Mine came via Nissan Distribution in Compton Calif. 5 days, notice the build days on the pic.
Attachment 164307

Attachment 164308

Attachment 164309

Attachment 164310

Attachment 164311
+1
I got the call from my regional rep I was getting one, it was at the dealership the following Friday, five business days.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:30 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by peterkim0121
is there anyone did lemon lawed in california ?
but i'd like to check oil before i take my car to dealer
how do i know it is consuming more than a quart or less..?
Not to my knowledge.
Check the dipstick reading in the morning after the car has sat over night.
The "L" marking is usually 1-1.5 qt low. Guaranteed the dealer will let it sit for 20 minutes before taking a reading and it should be less on the dipstick than when you checked it in the morning. Other here have proven this, so it works in your favor, hence more oil consumption when the dealer checks it. So go with the flow when the dealer comes back and state you are 1.5 qts low when you checked it and it was only 1 qt low. The reason is the car still has a lot of oil in the upper crank when they check it, therefore the lower reading.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by peterkim0121
oh and... i drove sh*t out of it and rev up every single gear

so make sure it consumes a lot of oil... haha..
Actually you want to go the opposite and drive it like granpa. Folk here have tested this and found that driving at high rpm's decreases oil consumption Long freeway drives (200+ mile runs) will also consume more oil. May want to read this entire thread, yeh it's work, a lot, although you will greatly benefit from knowledge gained here. From the start!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:57 PM
9kFever

Last edited by 9kFever; 10-08-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Mid117

somebody just mentioned that the V2 has thicker piston rings....would this mean that it's stronger than the original motor? (better for f/i?)
Old 10-09-2007, 05:28 AM
RBlover69

i wouldnt say better for FI or make a assumption like that, but for the oil issue the rings where the main culprit with the vacuum sucking oil in from my understanding . They just used revised pistons and rings to resolve it, but theres nothing to say that just because there revised that they dont have the same tolerances as the stock revup rings just seat better understand.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion