RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 PM
groovin_350z
Sleeps in 350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mid117
I couldn't believe it myself either...

When the service adviser called me over, I asked him how's it looking.

He said, "You're 3 quarts low on oil"

I was like ----->
better than what was told to me

"we have bad news....your motor had no oil in it"

what?!?!?

my new motor has been good for a long time so i guess its gone. :shrugs:
Old 09-30-2007, 06:49 PM
9kFever

Originally Posted by antennahead
It is not consuming now, but it is way to early to tell, only 2500 miles on the V2. For the sake of argument, assuming you are correct (not doubting your source info, just questioning the validity), you mentioned your dealer said something about a future "permanent fix" . Does this dealer feel another engine will be forthcoming, a V3 for lack of a better name, or some other fix? Please share what they have told you please. Thanks!

John
They said they are still waiting for the new motor with the new piston rings.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:58 AM
Mid117

why cant nissan just man up and buy back the faulty rev-ups? they have to make everything a bltch for us.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:49 PM
Nismospeed4life

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ I 'm wondering if they may be a way that everyone having problems with oil consumption problems could collectively write a petition of complaint against Nissan. Is the only way that they could make this problem a recall.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:13 PM
Mid117

^How would we start it up?

today, I dropped off the Z at the shop so they can do "further testing".

My Z's been in the shop for 22 days now, total. How gay.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:38 PM
wynd d z33

we should start something up cause its a a lemon engine

im doing my second consumption test now first one was positive but decided to wait for the new engines but got tired of waiting
Old 10-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Nismospeed4life

My Z's been in the shop for 22 days now, total. How gay.
Gay as in "Happy." or Gay as in "Broke Back Mountain." ? lol
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
antennahead

Originally Posted by 9kFever

So they claim the "handbuilt" motors, those we call the "V2", do NOT have the new or properly sealing piston rings?
Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 PM
creationv2

Originally Posted by 9kFever
not to question your understanding or anything, but are you sure youre understanding what is being told to you and not getting the info mixed up? as in when they say theyre still waiting, theyre waiting for the v2, and in your earlier posts when you refered to them saying itllbe a bandaid fix, are you sure youre not confusing that with other motor swaps that arent v2?

im jw as to make sure im understanding your posts correctly.

also it is too early to tell if the v2s consume or not, but my v1 consumed its first time within the first 5k miles. also i cant even start monitoring correctly cuz the damned service guy added .25/.5 of a qt when i had the car checked....idk why he did that, but he told me, so i was like okay cant do anything now that youve added it. but since then its gone down the amount he added if not double. its not much i guess, but if i were to have let it go without him adding, itve gone down the length of the dipstick H/L area. so ill start monitoring after the next oil chg.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 AM
ZeeForce

Been gone for awhile, also just read the 79 pages back log on this thread. Very good info from all, thanks I feel I am more educated on the issue.

Some old posts to reply on.

Originally Posted by gothchick
I was getting a lot of ping when the engine was under load from 2000 - 3000 rpm and ambient temps were above 90F. I am UTEC tuned with full bolt-ons and the interesting thing is that my UTEC never picked this ping up in my knock logs (and I have the knock parameters set very sensitve), but I could still hear it.

Ambient temps play a big role in how these engines run. So I kicked the timing back a degree and added a little more fuel in that rpm/ load range. Ping is almost entirely gone now.

I have my tune 'global parameters' set to advance timing and subtract fuel when ambients are below 90F. Still no ping.

I have a feeling an oil cooler or after market radiator would take care of the 90F/Ping problem. Then I wouldn't have to 'de-tune' @ 2000-3000 rpm when the temps are above 90F.
Thanks for the info, this is very helpful. The service mgr this afternoon is going to hook up an onboard gizmo and take it for a spin, plus check the OE ECU log for pinging/knocks. He was not too keen on switching to colder plugs, dunno why.. I will have to pry some more info out him on that. He did mention that oil companies have a different mix, one for summer and one for winter, so it may be why mine is pinging. I like your settings on the UTEC for advancing timing and subtracting fuel when the weather drops. Hopefully the OE ECU has this capability.

Btw: I am in Cali, so we have all that emissions crap and gas differences.

Originally Posted by luvZcar
I wanted to be sure before I go back for another time and motor that there is a change in the motor a "new version" as I see now there is..
I would not wait for the rings to settle, they gave you a V1 on your replacement, same issue no fix, don’t wait and just have them replace it with the V2. The V1 is just burning up your warranty miles.

Originally Posted by cruZin163
I've done 2 Consumption test… I talked to Corp. Nissan Rep. and they just said to wait for the fix. Finally I just had enough of it and went to the BBB and after a week they are replacing my engine + 100,000 extended warranty.
Glad to hear, take no bull, BBB does wonders. I did not go through BBB which I heard NNA is only offering the extended warranty to folk that went through BBB and served them with the final repair notice. I have a second call in with NNA from yesterday requesting the extended warranty. Fist time NNA said nope..

My Z's been in the shop for 22 days now, total.
I hope they set you up and paid for the rental while your new V2 is on order.

Last edited by ZeeForce; 10-02-2007 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:37 AM
ZeeForce

Default UPDATE on my new V2 engine @ 500 miles.

The good and the bad.

The good: It feels so much stronger, especially in the low end, the top end well that is why they are rev up’s, it’s very good on the top end. My engine bay cricket sound appears to have disappeared. With 500 miles on the new V2 engine, the oil reads just a hair below the H mark on the coat hanger. Finally I can see a reading; the oil was so clear up until now it was very difficult to read. I would take 3-4 readings every 100 miles after it sat overnight. This is good for now. The pinging is neither as frequent nor distinct as on the V1 engine, nor is the clunking valve chatter as on the previous V1. I have not checked my gas mileage, something I would be interested in what other V2 owners are getting in mpg. I was getting 22-23 mpg on the V1.

The bad: There is still a pinging when I drive like grandpa, especially around the 1200-2500 rpm range, not like before but it’s there. Living in Calif where the gas is refined differently because of our emissions standards, the car is more likely to ping. I am currently running with the best brand which is Chevron. I will be taking it to the dealer this week to change the oil (at 500 miles) to flush out any metal shavings that accumulate with a new engine during break in. I could wait till 1k miles, but it’s for a little piece of mind. I will have the dealer check the air/fuel mix to see if it is running rich and have leaned out. Another consideration for the pinging, it also goes back to the Calif emissions, and possibly ask for colder spark plugs and have them check the timing and advise. There is still soot on the exhaust tips, not liking this at all. There was a theory brought up early in this thread regarding the exhaust and the cats getting clogged with all the oil that was blowing by.

My question: Is there any validity to this theory of oil clogging the cats due to the OC issue? If so I will be pushing NNA to replace my Nismo exhaust or at least clean the cats. Why would I still be getting soot on a new engine? Could it be it’s burning off what was left over from the V1 engine?

I am still going to pursue with NNA about extending my warranty to 70 mo /100k mi.

Overall the car is great so far.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:06 AM
king67rsss

I just got off the phone with NNA. This time the Consumer Affairs representative admitted that there is a problem and she has heard a lot about this from owners of 06s. After being blown off for 4 months from NNA, I heard yesterday that I am getting a new engine so we will see if I can drop my Lemon Law claim. The Service Manager said he would order the "countermeasure engine" that has worked well on 2 of the 4 that they replaced. I am guessing that this is the V2 that you guys have been talking about.
I'm not too convinced that Nissan really has figured out the problem since the replacement engines have only worked on half of the cars that this dealer has worked on.
I think that a call to alert the media, similar to what happened when Nissan tried to cover up the Altima problem, may be the most effective way for Nissan to get off of their *** and either A) diagnose and properly fix the problem or B) somehow make things right with the thousands of 06 350Z buyers who were basically duped into thinking they bought a fairly reliable car.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:35 AM
bremboboy

what causes engine cricket sound?
Old 10-02-2007, 11:55 AM
luvZcar

Started new O.C. test this time well at the dealer they tried to tell me that if it eats ONLY 1qt in 1k then nissan does not do any thing for this and I replied with nissans tring to say that if my engine has only 1.5-2 qts left per oil change thats normal......... I don't think so. so please anyone who's engine was eating 1qt per 1k and got it replaced please let me know.Just so you all know I'm on engine #2 my first engine was eating 2qts-2.5qt every 1k and was replaced last year and I've think I've given this new engine every chance it needed to stop eating oil got 6000miles on the new engine.WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK 1QT EVERY 1K NORMAL????

Last edited by luvZcar; 10-02-2007 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:11 PM
king67rsss

I just got back from picking up my rental from the dealership. The service manager said that they happened to have a rep from NNA in there today and he gave him the skinny on the problem. According to the service manager the problem is blow by from the piston rings as everyone here suspected. The rep said that he was aware that it was all over the internet and "everyone with an 06 is now coming in to get the oil consumption test". I looked at him straight in the eye and said, well wouldn't you? He begrudgingly agreed that he indeed would bring his car in if he heard of a potential problem.However, according to the NNA rep about 2/3 of these are denied.
What I find very interesting is that if NNA knows there is a problem, why do the dealers not know?
Old 10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
RBlover69

yea good luck my friend i have been 4k miles on my V2 on 0w40 mobile 1 and not even a budge from H ill even take a pic.
Old 10-02-2007, 03:42 PM
king67rsss

is that the oil recommended? The service manager told me that I shouldn't have used synthetic until 11000 miles
Old 10-02-2007, 03:49 PM
wynd d z33

so certain dealers got the v2 engines??
Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by king67rsss
is that the oil recommended? The service manager told me that I shouldn't have used synthetic until 11000 miles
recommended oil isnt the best oil. As per tests in the VQ the 0w40 showed to be one of the best performing oils for the VQ . Thicker then most and very efficient in our motors .
Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM
Nismospeed4life

Originally Posted by king67rsss
Then your service manager does not know what he is talking about and he needs to get himself another JOB.

Quick Reply: RevUp Oil Consumption TSB and discussion