Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Turbonator, Vortec Cyclone, etc..

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 08:57 PM
Kazuma

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbonator, Vortec Cyclone, etc..

OK, I've never heard of this stuff but it seems to make sense. I'm a physics major so I know a few things about **** like this but I wanted to know if anyone has actually put one in.

Are these like Wal-Mart superchargers? I'm very skeptical about these being any good or breaking easily and really screwing something up.

For those who've put one in. What kind of increase in rwhp have you seen and in MPG. If I slapped an aftermarkt intake in would I be able to adjust the Turbonator to fit inside, or would I even need it then?

Someone steer the nublet in the right direction...

Last edited by Kazuma; 11-30-2006 at 09:02 PM.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:01 PM
bacalhau16

Well nublet you probably shouldnt even have asked. My guess is you should go put on a flame suit right about now. If you dont realize that the turbonator is the biggest piece of garbage, then you spend too much time watching TV at 3 o'clock in the morning, or you have a lot to learn about cars.

(I know you got me beat in physics though, I hated that subject, never mind majoring in it!)
Old 11-30-2006, 09:02 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if they really helped fuel economy and HP you can bet that every car maker would be using them already to boost the numbers up cheeply
Old 11-30-2006, 09:14 PM
Kazuma

The part that had me was talking about the spinning air rounding curves better. I had this problem when we built hover seats for our class. No one was getting enough power buy putting the fans right at the exit, we had to move the fans way into the tubes and then place another set at the exit to ensure it kept spinning with enough power to hover.

Infomercial people are geniuses, they can even catch the smarties
Old 11-30-2006, 09:55 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tornado of POWA!!!!!!

feel the cyclone of whirling POWA!!!!

unlike adding an intake or exhaust to help your fuel economy so that the engine doesn't have to work as hard at a given rpm, these things actually restrict your intake so that the ECU will see less air and thus reduce the fuel going to the engine to compensate - brilliant I tell you, it's like spending extra money to get a strong engine just so you can spend more money on a crap part to make it perform worse. So yeah in regard to getting better fuel economy - yeah they work
Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 AM
EM-EFER

I will be nice.

Do you think an electric supercharger could actually push enough air to compress it? As fast as the little fan could spin the motor would still need more air then that could provide.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:47 AM
first350

Originally Posted by EM-EFER
I will be nice.

Do you think an electric supercharger could actually push enough air to compress it? As fast as the little fan could spin the motor would still need more air then that could provide.

they actually have electric superchargers that work - the one problem I've seen is that they can only be used in siumilar fashion to Nitrous (short duration ~ 1/4 mi) b/c the current draw off the battery is so great. Also, the amount of boost they produce per $ is usually more expensive than getting a SC.

Back on topic - mixing air and doing stuff like that can sometimes help IF you're carburated (it helps to better atomize fuel). but for the 350Z, it does nothing.

-Peter
Old 12-01-2006, 05:59 AM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kazuma
The part that had me was talking about the spinning air rounding curves better. I had this problem when we built hover seats for our class. No one was getting enough power buy putting the fans right at the exit, we had to move the fans way into the tubes and then place another set at the exit to ensure it kept spinning with enough power to hover.

Infomercial people are geniuses, they can even catch the smarties
I don't know your design but I imagine the reason that only having fans at the bottom of your chair did not allow it to gain any air pressure between the fans and the floor, you simply stirred up air by the floor.

The principle reason why I would never by a Turbonator is because of their improper soda bottle demonstration. The reason the water in that demonstration moves from one to the other so quickly when spinning is because an air passage is formed in the center of the vortex allowing air from the bottom bottle to replace the escaping water in the top bottle. This has absolutely nothing to do with car intakes, we don't have trapped water that needs to be replaced by air, all of our air in going the same direction into a vacuum.

To test this, do the following: Do the same test, one with a vortex one without, but without the bottom bottle and pour the water into a bucket on the ground and have an assistant time it. Ok, so your vortex probably won. Now do the non vortex test but rapidly cut a large hole in the bottom of the bottle, now at the top, as it is inverted. Don't cut yourself or squeeze the bottle (that would be a supper charger) as it will invalidate the results. Time how long it takes to empty.

If you did the experiment correctly, the water comes out in a straight column and beats both the non vortex and vortex test handily.

Stay is school and pay attention, no more parties on the weekends, you need to hit the books.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:07 AM
taurran

Is this a joke?

No really, is it?
Old 12-01-2006, 08:06 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dave079
Pure crap plain and simple. None of it works.
Hey that's not true!

We dynod one at a dyno day and it lost 6 HP!

Old 12-01-2006, 08:34 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hydrazine
Hey that's not true!

We dynod one at a dyno day and it lost 6 HP!

LMAO (Turbonator )
Old 12-01-2006, 08:38 AM
davidf

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
Well nublet you probably shouldnt even have asked. My guess is you should go put on a flame suit right about now. If you dont realize that the turbonator is the biggest piece of garbage, then you spend too much time watching TV at 3 o'clock in the morning, or you have a lot to learn about cars.

(I know you got me beat in physics though, I hated that subject, never mind majoring in it!)
Nublet, funny word.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:40 PM
bacalhau16

I have seen the electric superchargers that first350 is speaking of. They are kinda expensive though, around $1500 if I remember. And they do require a pretty large batter or 2 batteries because they do draw so much energy. When I find it again I'll have to post the link.

Dave079 that last link didnt work, but I have seen those on EBAY!
Old 12-01-2006, 08:52 PM
drivenCSZ

is this a real thread or am i having a nightmare? oh boy, somebody needs a new major perhaps philosophy, no? exercise science? oh oh how about womens and gender studies? surely they would value a presentation on the effectiveness of the TURBONATOR

Quick Reply: Turbonator, Vortec Cyclone, etc..