Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2003 | 06:43 AM
ACEMAN
Master
Premier Member

Default Throttle Body

Any word on if a bigger TB would make a difference on the 350z.

Here is a couple pixs of mine

later
Aceman
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body-tb1.jpg  
Old 03-24-2003 | 06:43 AM
ACEMAN
Master
Premier Member

Default 2

open
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Body-tb2.jpg  
Old 03-24-2003 | 10:40 AM
menehune

I was thinking about that too. But I have a feeling it would aid it in the top-end more. I think a little gain could be had from the MAF though. I don't have the exact measurements on hand, but from looking at the MAF, it seems that the MAF's smallest inside diameter is 60+MM ( the MAF tapers from 70+mm to 60+mm then to 70+mm). A little note, the JIC intake seems to play on this idea and have made the MAF ID constant from the filter box to the TB. I have welded together a prototype ABS plastic MAF with ID of 72MM to just see if any differences can be felt ( sorry no dyno shops anywhere near here). At least the car runs . I have more designs in mind, but until I can at least get a personal dynometer or a OBDII scanner, I have no firm evidence of any gains in performance.
Old 03-24-2003 | 03:12 PM
teh215

The first question that I have is how did you get a photo of WOT? Since there is no throttle linkage, I am guessing that you got the pic with the motor running but without the MAF in place(?) or a filter. The reason that I am asking is I had found a few years ago in FI cars that sometimes the throttle body did not open completely and I want to check my car.
Old 03-25-2003 | 05:05 AM
ACEMAN
Master
Premier Member

When i was installing my AEM cai i had a friend of mine step on the gas with out the filter attatched to see if the TB opened up the whole way, and it does. Im not sure how much of a benefit a bigger TB would be, But i thought i would ask you guys. So i took a few pics for people to see what im talking about and to see what you guys think.

later
Aceman
Old 03-25-2003 | 06:56 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

since most Drive-by-wire systems have an inheirent lag from the time you stomp on the gas to WOT from the TB, a larger TB would allow slightly more air into the engine for a quicker response off the start.
Old 03-25-2003 | 07:16 AM
ares
Veteran
Premier Member

Originally posted by Chebosto
since most Drive-by-wire systems have an inheirent lag from the time you stomp on the gas to WOT from the TB, a larger TB would allow slightly more air into the engine for a quicker response off the start.
Ive heard this, german cars in particularly are critisized for this, but according to one mag that did a editorial about drive by wire(more specificly the pointlessness of it) they said specificly that Nissan had gotten the drive by wire throttle right and had zero noticable lag(it did get criticized for the reduction in throttle when both brake and throttle are pressed)
Old 03-26-2003 | 06:34 PM
D_Nyholm

From my takes on certain modifications, it seems that the car does not need much more breathing. Obviously, if you increase the exhaust flow, extra intake flow would be good, but it seems that more gains are coming from exhaust then from the intake end...