Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

05/06 Rev-up Oil consumption Registry

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 04:35 PM
ZPHILE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 6MT rev-up conv

Purchased 10-11-06. Good break-in (no revs past 4k for miles req.). Worse consumption (with syn oil - Mobil 1 5-30) more than 1qt/1000mi. Switched to mineral oil (Valvoline All-Climate 5-30). I just measured recently myself I still have .5qt/1000mi losses. Did the consumption test with the dealer. It got better when they switch it to mineral oil and 'officially' passed their consumption tests. Sign me up for a redone functioning engine.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:44 PM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by ZPHILE
Purchased 10-11-06. Good break-in (no revs past 4k for miles req.). Worse consumption (with syn oil - Mobil 1 5-30) more than 1qt/1000mi. Switched to mineral oil (Valvoline All-Climate 5-30). I just measured recently myself I still have .5qt/1000mi losses. Did the consumption test with the dealer. It got better when they switch it to mineral oil and 'officially' passed their consumption tests. Sign me up for a redone functioning engine.
BTW - bone stock/no mods as of yet.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:23 AM
monkeyboylawyer

I have an 06 G35 Coupe. Failed my oil consumption test in February. I was told by Infiniti that they are not replacing engines any longer and it will be several months before they have a "cure" for this problem.

FYI - Car is bone stock with 6000 miles on it.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:15 AM
trey.hutcheson

I have an 05 revup sedan. Failed the test in late january with ~36k miles on it. Dealer had the car for 10 days before Infiniti corporate finally agreed to replace it. Got a new long block sent via overnight on a wednesday, and got the car back on a Friday.

I checked my oil with 10 days later with ~1000 miles, and it was 2/3'rds down from H.
Old 03-01-2007, 11:14 AM
ZPHILE

Originally Posted by trey.hutcheson
I have an 05 revup sedan. Failed the test in late january with ~36k miles on it. Dealer had the car for 10 days before Infiniti corporate finally agreed to replace it. Got a new long block sent via overnight on a wednesday, and got the car back on a Friday.

I checked my oil with 10 days later with ~1000 miles, and it was 2/3'rds down from H.
Looks like at this time new engine = no fix
Old 03-01-2007, 11:55 AM
aren21

Hopefully they get a fix soon, its getting pretty annoying. The consumption on my car is so inconsistent. First it was 1/2 quart in 1k miles. Then 3/4quart in 4k miles. Last time I checked, its down 1/4 quart in only 300 miles. If I knew how much it was burning regularly, I could check it once a week or something, but now I paranoid that the oil level could be getting too low and it might cause damage. Any chance nissan would just drop in the new HR instead (with the ugly hood)?
Old 03-01-2007, 03:26 PM
alpine50z

Do you have that fax number?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:40 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by alpine50z
what fax number are you talking about?
Old 03-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Originally Posted by alpine50z
I will post the fax # on Friday. I have it at the office, but I am not in on Fridays, but will call and get it.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 PM
miken

I bought the car in august and have no engine mods. Added 4qts in the first 3500 miles. They wouldn't start the consumption test until then. Did two test periods of 750 miles and lost 2.75qts over the 1500 miles. I had the short block replaced. The dealer told me to drive it hard to 5k rpms as much as possible and not baby it. I now have 1400 miles on the new block and have lost 1.25qts. The dealer is adding oil until it reaches 3500 miles and then they will do another oil consumption test. The dealer said that a car has not had a problem with oil once the engine has been replaced in all of the US, but it sounds like some people have had multiple replacements on this board.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:27 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by miken
The dealer said that a car has not had a problem with oil once the engine has been replaced in all of the US, but it sounds like some people have had multiple replacements on this board.
He only knows what Nissan has told him.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:22 PM
diablo25mn

I posted this in the sticky'd thread:

Guys, the dealer is still being told my Nissan to keep doing test and taking samples of the oil. The dealer knowns that the engine has to be replace on for obvious reasons is on my side. I called corporate to get see if I could go anywhere with this.. they are suppose to call the dealership get the back story and get me answer as to why they are not being told to proceed...

Can those here who have had motors replaced for oil consumption issues, see if they have their case numbers and pm them to me. If by the end of tomorrow they still haven't given the go ahead for the full replacement I want to present corporate with cases so I can scare them in doing it. I would greatly appreciate it. Since I'm incurring rental car expense I want to get this done ASAP. -Thanks

PS. I got to talking with some techs at a couple dealerships asking around the area (Miami-Ft. Lauderdale, FL). They have told me that Nissan has instructed them in most cases where they have noted Low Oil on the 2006 either during scheduled maintenance or during warranty services, they have told to fill the car back up with oil and if you do not hear any engine noises, send it off with the customers.

*My main problem is that I'm incurring rental car cost cause no dealer in miami gives lenders during warranty service. My engine is fried.... so i need to get the car at least running decently.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
G_XXXV

I own an '06 G35 6MT Coupe with 13K miles and started noticing my oil level decreasing even before my first oil change at 5k miles.

When I did the first oil change, I was amazed at how little oil came out...there was maybe 2 quarts in the pan. At first I thought the remaining oil was trapped somewhere in the engine because the front of the car was on rhino ramps. But that wasn't the case. The car had consumed the other ~3 quarts.

Now I check the oil at least once a week and am very concerned over the whole thing.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old 03-09-2007, 02:29 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by G_XXXV
I own an '06 G35 6MT Coupe with 13K miles and started noticing my oil level decreasing even before my first oil change at 5k miles.

I thought it was a 3600mile interval?
Old 03-09-2007, 03:08 PM
Durden76

Durden76, 06' Rev up, Mods: Popcharger, Borla true dual exhaust. 1.5qt @ 1,100k miles

I know of at least one instance where a customer got a long block swap in their 06 and the new block consumed oil too so Nissan bought back the car. I don't know the details as far as what price was considered fair etc. but he is now in an 07. This whole issue is very discouraging. I will be going in for my final measurement in a couple weeks, let the games begin.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:36 PM
doctorshumes

06 revup engine, bought in june 06. now with 10K miles. consumes approx 1qt per 1,000 miles. relatively stable consumption since purchase. Popcharger intake and nismo exhaust put on around 6,000 miles. No difference between penzoil and royal purple oil consumption. Waiting until Nissan comes up with a fix.....or the engine dies do to premature wear.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 PM
G_XXXV

Originally Posted by 98sr20ve
I thought it was a 3600mile interval?
I believe it's 3750 or 3 months.

I should clarify what I said before. I meant my first oil change after the initial break-in period. The first oil change was at 1500 miles, and every 3500 miles since (with weekly checks in between).
Old 03-19-2007, 03:22 PM
Theatrix
Professional

Although I now have a new motor, I continue to follow this problem. It just dawned on me that perhaps we should draft a document and send to each member who is experiencing the problem for signature. Multiple signatures would carry more weight than just one and it will make it easier to have continue to shop this amongst the media.

I would suggest it be overnighted to the next member and each member has the responsibility to express to the next.

Let me know what you think.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bofa
BTW, if interested in reading up on an alternative break-in method, check this site out. Pretty interesting.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Very interesting link. Although it talks about breaking in a motorcycle engine (the tranny shares the same oil as the engine) as opposed to a car engine. I wonder if this is valid for a car engine that has separate tranny/engine lubricants? Makes since though, I also wonder why manufactures prescribe an easy breakin? Interesting. Thanks for the link.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 PM
98sr20ve

Originally Posted by gothchick
Very interesting link. Although it talks about breaking in a motorcycle engine (the tranny shares the same oil as the engine) as opposed to a car engine. I wonder if this is valid for a car engine that has separate tranny/engine lubricants? Makes since though, I also wonder why manufactures prescribe an easy breakin? Interesting. Thanks for the link.
The say the same things about brake pads and that is total BS. You can and should break in the brakes very different then what the manufactures tell you. It's all about CYA when it comes to brakes because they don't want some poor guy getting green fade and crashing.

Quick Reply: 05/06 Rev-up Oil consumption Registry