Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 VQ HR Dyno Results

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 09:29 AM
3hree5ive0ero
Retired Admin

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm not even that concerned about the numbers or how much it has under the area on the graph. I'm more concerned about its capabilities on the track and its potential.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 AM
NA350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow those are great numbers. Hmmm let see, E46 M3's dyno about 270-280 whp and those cars made 333 hp @ the flywheel. This new VQ35HR is dynoing 289 whp, Im guessing by the old standard that the new motor is putting out about 340 hp then, but that doesnt sound too right. Thats a lot o power, what do you guys think. Then again different dynos output different results.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
RBlover69

yea but u must realize on a dyna pack etc the numbers are going to be up there. M3s etc dyno those numbers on dynojets etc, im waiting to see a dynojet sae number . Then i will be happy lol.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:02 PM
mikead_99

You guys are killing me with this dynapack thing. The key here is that it is a dynapack that reads Church's automotive dynapack high, not that it reads dynapack high. Tony stated that he runs the same cal factors Church's uses so he can use them as a point of reference, and this works well for him I am sure. I use a local dynapack that I know reads Mustang dyno low, in fact AAM's dynojet is a good machine for me to go get ego numbers from in comparison. You guys that are waiting to see dynojet numbers need to know that they can be calibrated too, and really aren't a be-all end-all unless you know how it is cal'ed. Comparing between machines is pointless, but looking at Tony's numbers the deltas are clear, and that is really all you will get from this. I think most dyno operators run a cal that is not as generous as Church's, but this doesn't mean the figure you get is a number SAE would stand behind, even with SAE correction. All the SAE correction will do is take the numbers your cal, on your dyno came up with and compensate for environmental conditions against those numbers.

Take the curves shown here for what they are, a consistant comaparison of the power output plots between the various motors. That's all you'll get anywhere, just on slightly different scales.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:54 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikead_99
Take the curves shown here for what they are, a consistant comaparison of the power output plots between the various motors. That's all you'll get anywhere, just on slightly different scales.
Thanks Mikead_99.

Thats the point of the comparison. So we can know the relative differences of the engines.

And yes, its true even Dynojet numbers all across the nation produce results all over the place. It just happens.

And like you wrote, this comparison is valid in showing the relative differences of the engines. The difference is what's interesting. The absolute numbers arent of much value. Absolute numbers can be anything under the sun depending on which dyno is used. I could graph all the same plots in units of kilowatts. So what...

What is important is that all the plots were generated on the same machine and calibration. This is what gives us insight into the performance of the new HR engine.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:00 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by 3hree5ive0ero
I'm not even that concerned about the numbers or how much it has under the area on the graph. I'm more concerned about its capabilities on the track and its potential.
Then they will totally change the Z once again in 08.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:20 AM
RBlover69

^ actually its speculation. Right now it looks like this platfrom is probably going to be here for a while. The rumoured 3.7 is just that for a US release and the 3.8 RS hopefully would be released this to me would be a true predessesor as far as power is concerned.The HR is a great engine surley to go beyond the 300rwhp hopefully well see the results. The Zs body doesnt look like its going to be changed much aswell , beside minor cosmetics .....one thing i love about the Z is its preety timeless in its design. Cant wait to race a HR .
Old 03-04-2007, 11:42 PM
DRIFT ZZ

Tony, thanks for the dyno !! I had installed a 5/16 ISO spacer on my 03 touring DE a few months ago, and I must say your spacer IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK on the DE motor !! After seeing and test driving the HR a month ago at the nissan dealer, I have since sold the DE and now have a PPW HR sitting in my driveway !!, with 100 miles on the ODO, I took it out on the I-95 (South Fl,) with my fellow 03-06 Z Boys, and flogged all of them real bad from 80 mph to 160 !! (like 15 cars).. , your dyno #'s only confirm what I saw on the highway that night !! BTW, I hit 156 mph in 5th without hitting the rev limiter !! I hate to say it guys, pass on the DE's soon before the value Tanks !!
Hugh in PSL, FL.. www.carvizion.com
Old 03-05-2007, 12:07 AM
fairtex

Originally Posted by DRIFT ZZ
Tony, thanks for the dyno !! I had installed a 5/16 ISO spacer on my 03 touring DE a few months ago, and I must say your spacer IS THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK on the DE motor !! After seeing and test driving the HR a month ago at the nissan dealer, I have since sold the DE and now have a PPW HR sitting in my driveway !!, with 100 miles on the ODO, I took it out on the I-95 (South Fl,) with my fellow 03-06 Z Boys, and flogged all of them real bad from 80 mph to 160 !! (like 15 cars).. , your dyno #'s only confirm what I saw on the highway that night !! BTW, I hit 156 mph in 5th without hitting the rev limiter !! I hate to say it guys, pass on the DE's soon before the value Tanks !!
so i guess you're skipping the break-in process. lol.

great post, subscribing.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:30 AM
Diesel350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bwhaha 15 car lengths? LOL you sure they were flogging it?
Old 03-05-2007, 06:30 AM
drap660

dont know about the track but i pull a good 4 to 5 cars form 40-120 on my buddys new 07 with 1800 miles on it... Thats only with the pop crapper, MD 5/16, MREV2, TP's, UTEC and Borla TD... I dont even tap the juice for that race... Not saying that HR sucks or anything... Stock for stock I know the Hr would edge out the De but you guys are making it bigger than it needs to be... Who leaves there motor stock anyway... By the time the Hr's come out with heavy mods most DE's will be stacked anyway... Bottom line both are good motors and every year something new will come out.. be happy with what you got, mod it and beat the next guy and thats all folks
Old 03-05-2007, 08:16 AM
RBlover69

hey drap how what are your mods yeilding you , im trying to reach teh 300rwhp in the revup myself before the HRs get there . lol
Old 03-05-2007, 08:26 AM
drap660

My car has the basic bolt ons you see in my sig but with a great tune... My latest tune which was last week put me up to 283Hp and 252TQ (all motor)... And thats running 1 step colder plugs for the juice.... This was after hours and hours on the dyno ... Believe it or not the Varis intake duct allowed my tuner to giv eth ecar some more fuel and timing and we picked up some hp's there... I was going to install headers and see if I can get atleast 290's but at this point I think FI is in my near future... Besides you have Jeremy in your town... I would love to live near that guy... He's a badass and builds fast cars at affordable prices.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:04 AM
Peak350

Originally Posted by fairtex
so i guess you're skipping the break-in process. lol.

great post, subscribing.
Exactly how not to break a car in.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:07 AM
RBlover69

Originally Posted by drap660
My car has the basic bolt ons you see in my sig but with a great tune... My latest tune which was last week put me up to 283Hp and 252TQ (all motor)... And thats running 1 step colder plugs for the juice.... This was after hours and hours on the dyno ... Believe it or not the Varis intake duct allowed my tuner to giv eth ecar some more fuel and timing and we picked up some hp's there... I was going to install headers and see if I can get atleast 290's but at this point I think FI is in my near future... Besides you have Jeremy in your town... I would love to live near that guy... He's a badass and builds fast cars at affordable prices.
yea im gonna basically do similar mods to yourself plus headers just to reach teh 300rwhp mark NA. Then juice. I have no plans for FI right now. I just wanna hit the 300rwhp mark NA. first and then juice with a nice 150 shot. Well see.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:51 PM
Nismo350ZRT

LMAO! This is exactly why the street racing forum got axed.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:03 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's my car also on dynapack (I think it's the same machine?) if not, the difference is about 2-3% at most

looks like I'm not doing too bad at least not too bad for a non-revup / non-HR / stock exhaust

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 03-05-2007 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:12 PM
KhanMan

Is there anything of the HR motor us DE owners can use to increase our power like its intake, plenum or anything else?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
Here's my car also on dynapack (I think it's the same machine?) if not, the difference is about 2-3% at most

looks like I'm not doing too bad at least not too bad for a non-revup / non-HR / stock exhaust
Now if you could take that peak and move it up 2-3% and then widen the peak out to the right another 15.4% to 7500 RPM .... then it would have enough area under the curve be in the same league.

But that would be roughly 18% more area under peak. This is where the real difference is.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 03-06-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:05 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by KhanMan
Is there anything of the HR motor us DE owners can use to increase our power like its intake, plenum or anything else?
I'm working on an exhaust system where I already hit 292 HP on the same dyno. Really good results with no tune! But then the peak would need to maintained at that level with a reflash to 7500 RPM.

For me personally, I'll never get a reflash to increase the RPM limit. It's not the type of stress I want to put on the engine. Its like burning the candle from both ends.

Maybe if I wanted to do it simply for demonstration purposes with a couple of dyno pulls but never for anything else. Not for tracking or daily driving.

It would probably be safer with a 25 shot of nitrous.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 03-06-2007 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 VQ HR Dyno Results