Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

stronger than stock shifter with stock or longer throws?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 12:50 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default stronger than stock shifter with stock or longer throws?

I'm considering the possability of going back to the stock shifter, but am wondering if anyone makes a solid single piece shifter that's stronger than stock

I drove my stock one for a month, then switched to rogue for a year and a half, then 350EVO for 8 months and am now considering the stock one again of all things

I'm actually wondering if a longer throw shifter would shift smoother at this point

the only shifters on the market I know of are B&M, 350EVO, rogue (if you can find them), stillen, and some sorta adjustable nismo one I think
Old 02-08-2007, 01:03 PM
plumpzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the adjustable nismo one can be put to 66% longer.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:04 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The longer throw of the stock unit would def. be less effort. I've read heavy weighted ***** can reduce effort as well, but some say, at the risk of premature wear on the synchros or shift forks.

Why do you need a stronger one, did you break or bend yours somehow?
Old 02-08-2007, 01:12 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i've read about people actually breaking the stock shifter when shifting hard - might be the 03 stock shifter, which is what my car is

I dunno, I might try the stock one and then possibly give the stillen a try. My 350EVO rev 3 is actually decent, but I grind 3rd a bunch with it way more than the rogue or stock. Also it rattles like hell in 3rd and 4th gear because of the bearings not having pressure on them. The stillen one seems pretty much the same, but is 1/4 inch lower and a delrin bushing so no rattle

the thing with the adjustable nismo one is I've heard is sucks because it's always coming loose or changing settings or something

Last edited by sentry65; 02-08-2007 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:19 PM
350Zenophile

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Meh, I would think the shift fork would bend before the shifter would break.

I like my Rogue once the tranny warms up...need to try me some Royal Purple to see if that helps smooth out the shifts a bit when cold.
Old 02-08-2007, 01:24 PM
sentry65
the burninator

yeah come to think of it, the only issue I have with my 350EVO shifter is the occasional 3rd gear grind, which is probably tranny related, but started right after the new shifter. It might just be I'm not being precise enough with the clutch, but why always 3rd gear then?

I sometimes feel like the shift is too short and I have to slow down my shifting to make sure I don't misshift because of how quick it can be to go in the wrong gear. After driving my celica on a daily basis for a couple weeks, I'm just sad my Z doesn't shift like it does

the rattle is tollerable and I can deal with it.

I've been using redline oil. I suppose I could try royal purple though sometime
Old 02-08-2007, 02:29 PM
THE TECH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't wait to try my Rogue.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:34 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It rattles due to the worthless spacer on the shifters shaft, its under the **** you can take it out it does nothing. Until you actually see somebody physically break a shifter on any 6MT Z, I wouldnt worry about it. Ive chucked off many a shift **** on many cars but Ive never broken a shifter and you know Im not easy on them....Ive also tried weighted ***** and they help a tiny bit, what would get you the best leverage per shift would be a taller shifter not a longer one, unless thats what you meant....btw no issues with my Nismo ****, if you cant tighten down a shift **** and keep it tight you have palsy.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:59 PM
sentry65
the burninator

i already took the spacer out a long time ago, never understood its purpose

the rattle is from the 350EVO shifter's bearings rattling. I can get it to stop by pulling the shifter slightly left or right when in 3rd or 4th gear. Absolutely silent in 1, 2, 5, and 6th gear

yeah I meant taller as in longer. I really never thought a shorter shifter makes you shift faster. I mean, I've shifted trucks and jeeps about the same speed as I can shift anything else. I'd rather have the shifter glide into gear instead of chu-chuck into gear if that makes sense, but at the same time I know not many high powered cars have smooth shifting. It's really not a huge issue, my car shifts ok. I just want to make it better

I've been reading there is an actual difference between an 03 and 2004.5 shifter. I wonder what was changed

Last edited by sentry65; 02-08-2007 at 04:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:49 PM
Phantom Menace

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sentry65
I'm considering the possability of going back to the stock shifter, but am wondering if anyone makes a solid single piece shifter that's stronger than stock

I drove my stock one for a month, then switched to rogue for a year and a half, then 350EVO for 8 months and am now considering the stock one again of all things

I'm actually wondering if a longer throw shifter would shift smoother at this point

the only shifters on the market I know of are B&M, 350EVO, rogue (if you can find them), stillen, and some sorta adjustable nismo one I think
I think Fidanza makes a good SS too.