Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Viscous-Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 01:27 PM
ThreeFiftyZoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viscous-Limited Slip Differential

I read that all Zs have Viscous-Limited Slip Differentials except for the Base model. Does that mean that the base model doesnt have limited slip at all or just some other type? Will it spin both tires or just one?
Old 04-03-2003, 01:30 PM
johnlotusboy

Just one tire will spin and it will do it a lot since the base model has no form of traction control. The base model is a one legged wonder.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:31 PM
ThreeFiftyZoom

Do you mean it will do a lot as in a lot of traction or a lot of spinning?
Old 04-03-2003, 01:38 PM
johnlotusboy

A lot of one tire spinning and the car not going anywhere.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:14 PM
Traffic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by ThreeFiftyZoom
Do you mean it will do a lot as in a lot of traction or a lot of spinning?
If you mash the throttle in corners, then the inside wheel will spin. In everyday driving, you don't really notice the lack of a LSD. Are you trying to decide between models?
Old 04-03-2003, 08:43 PM
350z4steve

Also "How Differentials work"

The open differential always applies the same amount of torque to each wheel. There are two factors that determine how much torque can be applied to the wheels: equipment and traction. In dry conditions, when there is plenty of traction, the amount of torque applied to the wheels is limited by the engine and gearing; in a low traction situation, such as when driving on ice, the amount of torque is limited to the greatest amount that will not cause a wheel to slip under those conditions. So, even though a car may be able to produce more torque, there needs to be enough traction to transmit that torque to the ground. If you give the car more gas after the wheels start to slip, the wheels will just spin faster.
Old 04-04-2003, 01:21 PM
dr_gallup

Actually, if you want to heavily mod the car or race it the base model is the way to go. The stock LSD is not up to serious racing and you are not going to want all the electronic controls in a racing situation either. But for street use in stock form the base model is a poor choice. I have not driven one but I think that you would be spinning one tire all over the place, limiting the amount of torque available to accelerate the car. I know I have despised other one wheel drive wonders with a lot less power than the Z!
Old 04-04-2003, 01:33 PM
webcarconnection

Oh my God.... Any of you drive a Base yet? The Base model is no different that others models in any street circuntances, theres no gonna be a LOT more wheel spin, but if you have the extra money go w the Enthusiast that have all the others goodies!

P.S. "The stock LSD is not up to serious racing and you are not going to want all the electronic controls in a racing situation either. " ... thats true!
Old 04-05-2003, 01:15 AM
Jason

Uhm, a lot of the most serious racecars have way more electronic controls than our cars have.
Old 04-06-2003, 02:55 PM
Traffic

The Z should've come with a helical setup from the factory. They have that option on the new Maximas. Maybe it's something they'll do on the future model years.
Old 04-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Zrated

In agressive street driving you will be able to tell the difference between an open rear and one with a LSD. There is nothing more aggravating then not being able to hook up through a turn because the weight shifts and the inside wheel breaks loose. A little sand, water, whatever, even on dry pavement its going to happen.
Old 04-06-2003, 04:27 PM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by Zrated
In agressive street driving you will be able to tell the difference between an open rear and one with a LSD. There is nothing more aggravating then not being able to hook up through a turn because the weight shifts and the inside wheel breaks loose. A little sand, water, whatever, even on dry pavement its going to happen.
In theory thats true, but in my case I did not have any of that problems yet.... and I drive very agressive, trust me!

I believe that the LSD is a good option for the Z, but in my opinion the car (stock) don't need it. If you want to do high mod. to the car, then you have to put a GOOD LSD!
Old 04-06-2003, 07:00 PM
350z4steve

ever wonder when on tv or movies they have a car on its 2 side wheels whther thats a open or semi-locked differential? Hmmm
yeeeeeee ha!( dukes of hazard style!) thats where you will really notice you need a lsd on a base model
Old 04-07-2003, 07:45 AM
webcarconnection

Originally posted by 350z4steve
ever wonder when on tv or movies they have a car on its 2 side wheels whther thats a open or semi-locked differential? Hmmm
yeeeeeee ha!( dukes of hazard style!) thats where you will really notice you need a lsd on a base model
Or in the movie "My Cousin Vinny"
Old 09-23-2003, 09:59 AM
03redlineZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does anyone have a stock lsd that was replaced with an aftermarket that they are willing to sell pm me please
Old 09-23-2003, 01:27 PM
DIGItonium

Isn't the car easy to fish tail with an Open Diff?

I found that the hard way when I was 16-17. I drove my '87 200SX SEV6 made a left turn on wet pavement and had a little too much gas. The tires slipped and the car started to fish tail badly. I lost control and hit the curb. No other damage besides my car. So I was never fond of open diff.

This car is still alive and well through my college years. I take the Z33 out once in awhile and park far. Next to me is my friend's RX-7, and next to him is a white RSX Type-S. I only take it out on nice days when I only have a couple 1hr classes back to back. -And yes... the Z has a limited slip. :-D
Old 09-23-2003, 05:54 PM
TheBigShow

would an aftermarket lsd help at the drag strip? thanks.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:08 PM
Traffic

Originally posted by TheBigShow
would an aftermarket lsd help at the drag strip? thanks.
Hell yeah, especially over the stock open differential. That's about the worst thing you could have when dragging. The good part about the clutch type LSD is that it responds very, very quickly so you get very good traction off the line. It's the next best thing to a solid differential if you ask me.
Old 09-24-2003, 04:40 AM
TheBigShow

which manu makes clutch type lsd's?
Old 09-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Slib77

KAAZ and Cusco.

Go with the KAAZ, it comes with the oil and bearings press fitted.

Quick Reply: Viscous-Limited Slip Differential