Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Re: 2006 350Z Engine Recall

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:40 PM
bofa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I'll chime in what I've got from my experience.

The chatter from the engine does sound like it's coming from the exhaust and is likely the exhaust valves ticking due to an extremely low oil level.. one of the same factors that caused me to first understand there was a problem with my car.

The oil pressure guage itself does not indicate oil level. However consistenly low and non-fluctuating pressure can be a possible indicator of a consumption problem.

I seriously doubt Nissan will approve your dealership on giving you a new engine right now. Nissan is aware of the issue and they thoroughly believe that it's an engine management issue. Until they have a fix for it they will probably not even consider giving you a new engine just to replace it again whenever they do get around to coming up with a permanent fix. The reason quite a few people got their engines replaced to begin with is because Nissan was collecting the engines for analysis but they supposedly have enough "specimen" now.

No, there is no recall yet and NNA will pretty much tell you to deal with it until there is a fix. I don't know about you but I'm not waiting for an undetermined period for a fix that they haven't even developed yet.

Check the oil consumption thread and I would suggest closing this one because there is no recall yet and the title is a little misleading.

Last edited by bofa; 02-15-2007 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:43 PM
bofa

Originally Posted by kmyung128
They will just replace your engine with the 06 engine but brand new without the oil problem.
Not true because they haven't even figured out how to stop the consumption yet.

And no, likely you will not get an 07 engine. I can tell you that in my lemon law paperwork I gave them the option to give me a new 07 Z (hoping the HR motor doesn't have this issue.. but that' not necessarily a given yet) or to purchase back my car at full retail (then I'll get an 07 myself). We'll see what happens.

Last edited by bofa; 02-15-2007 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:47 PM
StewartZ

LUCKY!!!!!

If I were you i would be celebrating...
Old 02-15-2007, 05:52 PM
wldkatz03

I just had the same issue as the OP...Corner3 Garage here in So cal is monitoring my oil right now...I've never had the stealership do any of my work but we'll see if it comes down to an oil consumption issue.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:58 PM
bofa

^Hold off on your motordyne install for now.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:08 PM
captj3

Originally Posted by bofa
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I'll chime in what I've got from my experience.

The chatter from the engine does sound like it's coming form the exhaust and is likely the exhaust valves ticking due to an extremely low oil level.. one of the same factors that caused me to first understand there was a problem with my car.

The oil pressure guage itself does not indicate oil level. However consistenly low and non-fluctuating pressure can be a possible indicator of a consumption problem.

I seriously doubt Nissan will approve your dealership on giving you a new engine right now. Nissan is aware of the issue and they thoroughly believe that it's an engine management issue. Until they have a fix for it they will probably not even consider giving you a new engine just to replace it again whenever they do get around to coming up with a permanent fix. The reason quite a few people got their engines replaced to begin with is because Nissan was colleting the engines for analysis but they supposedly have enough "specimen" now.

No, there is no recall yet and NNA will pretty much tell you to deal with it until there is a fix. I don't know about you but I'm not waiting for an undetermined period for a fix that they haven't even developed yet.

Check the oil consumption thread and I would suggest closing this one because there is no recall yet and the title is a little misleading.

You are 100% right. I spoke with a friend today who is a nissan tech, he said they are collecting oil sample for nissan from the engines and sending them out to get analized. Then they are sending the info to nissan. As of now they are not replacing any more engines until they have a fix.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:11 PM
kmyung128

By the way. My wheels did get stained. Does anyone know what they use to clean the wheels??

Having a hard time getting it cleaned off.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:19 PM
bofa

Stained with what? I use Meguires Hot Rims on my wheels.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:52 PM
kmyung128

I use that too. But after i got my car back from the dealer, and they washed my car. I noticed it stained. From the heat and i dont know what they used. Any idea on how i can get it cleaned off??
Old 02-15-2007, 07:54 PM
bofa

I'd take it back to them and have them clean it off.. no telling what it is and if something like Hot Rims doesn't do the trick they need to be responsible for cleaning it (especially if they did some kind of permanent damage).
Old 02-15-2007, 08:13 PM
InSaNeZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to listen and see if mine does that as soon as I pull her out of storage.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:20 PM
kmyung128

Thanks. I am going to go stop by the dealer during my lunch hour.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:14 AM
Spoiled Z

I changed my oil last weeked and I lost about 500ml of oil ... I change my oil 3k or every 3 months which ever comes first.... but this time it only put on 2k+ miles and I lost 500ml.... Should I be worried about oil comsumption? The only thing that I'm having trouble is my notchy shifter. I just have to learn to bring it straight down when shifting to second. I tend to push it to the left/straight down. I only have 7k miles.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:43 AM
CNT350Z

Originally Posted by Spoiled Z
I changed my oil last weeked and I lost about 500ml of oil ... I change my oil 3k or every 3 months which ever comes first.... but this time it only put on 2k+ miles and I lost 500ml.... Should I be worried about oil comsumption? The only thing that I'm having trouble is my notchy shifter. I just have to learn to bring it straight down when shifting to second. I tend to push it to the left/straight down. I only have 7k miles.
You might want to get your dealership to do an oil consumption test. I just dropped mine off to get that done and to have my oil analyzied for the metal shavings I found on my dipstick. Has anyone else had to do the oil consumption test? What can I expect from the dealership if my Z is consuming too much oil?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:25 AM
MasterRacer

Originally Posted by CNT350Z
You might want to get your dealership to do an oil consumption test. I just dropped mine off to get that done and to have my oil analyzied for the metal shavings I found on my dipstick. Has anyone else had to do the oil consumption test? What can I expect from the dealership if my Z is consuming too much oil?

1st off make sure u take it back to the same dealer that has been consistantly changing your oil, although they may have not noticed that
the level was low to begin with.........yes they can miss that. You will
need to inform them as of when you noticed the problem and when your last oil change was. My guess is that they will do a consumption test at your next oil change and then have you drive it 1000 miles before bringing it back.
Old 02-16-2007, 08:52 AM
carlitoss2000

I took my 06 to the O'side dealership the other day to try to get that damn window motor reprogramed and I asked about any recalls on the 06 models. He the put in my VIN number into his computer and gave print out I guess saying that there weren't any recalls on my car. I too feel like my car is burning alot of oil too...............I stopped taking it to the shops to do the oil change and started doing it myself to make sure it was correctly and it still feels, not 100% sure, but it feels like it's burning more oil than it's supposed to.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:27 AM
kmyung128

Well part of what you said was right. When you take your car to get the oil change, they will note it in their system that your oil level is low. So they will tell you to bring the car back on your next oil change to see if its low again.

The service advisor told me that if the car comes back with to low oil, she will submit the issue to nissan and for nissan to send over a new motor.

THats just what she told me. I dont think any service advisor would tell a customer that they would get a new engine if they werent planning on doing so. If the problem re occurs.

I also asked her if they swapped out any engines because of this. She said they did. The engine swap was complete in 2 days.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:29 AM
kmyung128

If your car is low on oil or buning alot, i really suggest you take it to your local dealer and explain to them the situation and have them note it in their system. Better get it taken care of now while your car is still new with low miles.

Thats just my 2 cents.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:31 AM
CNT350Z

Well I hope I have your luck but never can tell. I am waiting on Danny (service advisor) from Regal to give me a call and let me know the verdict. Regal Nissan has been very good to me in the past so I am sure they will take care of me on this issue as well.

Originally Posted by kmyung128
Well part of what you said was right. When you take your car to get the oil change, they will note it in their system that your oil level is low. So they will tell you to bring the car back on your next oil change to see if its low again.

The service advisor told me that if the car comes back with to low oil, she will submit the issue to nissan and for nissan to send over a new motor.

THats just what she told me. I dont think any service advisor would tell a customer that they would get a new engine if they werent planning on doing so. If the problem re occurs.

I also asked her if they swapped out any engines because of this. She said they did. The engine swap was complete in 2 days.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:39 AM
ZPHILE

Default Thanks Ichigo & Coolblue830 for the TSB/Recall links!

These are good links!

Quick Reply: Re: 2006 350Z Engine Recall