Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Mobil 1 Oil Users - Motor oil discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shushikiary
LOL I like how the guys down the thread immediately try to show it might not be true.... stating that a guy used to take valvoline bottles and fill them with amsoil so the competition didnt know what he was really using... and the one guy "I agree that is a Mobil1 bottle. That is as far as I will go. " lol
That site is always entertaining with the conspiracy theories about some companies. I just figure, take it for what it is. Staged? probably not. There's no logical reason when there's no sponsor money involved and no one watching but a passing few in the pits after practice. They also make a good point that since Honda provides the engines, the crew runs whatever weight Honda specifies and whatever brand of oil Honda approves, as part of the engine contract.
Over on the Rennlist forums, (M1 0W-40 is the factory fill for the GT2, GT3, and 911 TT Porches) they always talk about how they see factory GT3RSR Cup teams use this stuff, but on another car forum, the owners might be loyal to a different brand and proclaim how they hate this stuff. I figure oil chemists and tribologists must browse auto forums for a good laugh sometimes with all the different conspiracy theories and bickering that take place over what is a product with very limited differences in the home consumer market.
Will
Old 05-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can we use 0w-40 in the Z?
Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 AM
thawk408

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochem7
I believe you can, but its probably more benefitial to built motor TT guys.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:32 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Biochem7
Absolutely. Check the Oil Analysis sticky right below this one. M1 0W-40 is one of the best performing oils so far in the VQ. In that same thread, there is a list of manufacturer specs for various oil's viscosities. M1 0W-40 is included, and from that you can see it is a thin 40 weight, or a really thick 30 weight depending on how you look at it. Either way, it is not so thick as to be overkill or have adverse affects for NA use if that's your concern. Besides being one of the few oils to meet Porsche's standards for the GT cars, it is also one of the few to meet GM 4718M certification- the unique spec created by General Motors for Corvette oil. It’s a high-temperature requirement that tolerates less oxidation (thickening) and volatility (boil-off) on a standard engine test called Sequence 111E according to engineer Bob Olree of GM Powertrain. It is voluntary for oil companies to let their oil be tested for approval, so there are other oils not certified that would probably qualify, but M1 0W-40 is one of the few that sought the certification and that alone is a good sign of the quality of this oil for NA use.
Will
Old 06-09-2007, 03:34 PM
6894kevin

thinking about amsoil for my 07's first change any info on what i should use for the 07?
And what weight?

I was going for the greman castrol but i heard it's being pulled although i checked my local auto parts place and they had plenty but said they never sold that stuff. One guy said those bottles have been on the shelf for the last four years.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by 6894kevin
thinking about amsoil for my 07's first change any info on what i should use for the 07?
And what weight?

I was going for the greman castrol but i heard it's being pulled although i checked my local auto parts place and they had plenty but said they never sold that stuff. One guy said those bottles have been on the shelf for the last four years.
If you can get Castrol Syntec 0W-30, and on the back of the bottle it says, "Made in Germany", then buy it. That is a very good oil and very hard to find anymore. If it is four years old, then the oil will probably be green and smell like gummy bears when you open the bottle up. That's a good thing, as it means you have some of the best oil ever sold to the regular joe on auto parts shelves.
Will
Old 06-11-2007, 03:57 PM
6894kevin

Originally Posted by Resolute
If you can get Castrol Syntec 0W-30, and on the back of the bottle it says, "Made in Germany", then buy it. That is a very good oil and very hard to find anymore. If it is four years old, then the oil will probably be green and smell like gummy bears when you open the bottle up. That's a good thing, as it means you have some of the best oil ever sold to the regular joe on auto parts shelves.
Will
Ok good info, but when it becomes a pain to find and i have to switch will it matter if i use amsoil after the Castrol Syntec "german"

Cheers

Kevin
Old 06-11-2007, 05:23 PM
IslandZavage

What do you guys reccommend (weight/brand) for hot florida weather on a tt stock block z? im favoring Amsoil though.. but weight?

Last edited by IslandZavage; 06-12-2007 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:24 AM
Resolute

Originally Posted by 6894kevin
Ok good info, but when it becomes a pain to find and i have to switch will it matter if i use amsoil after the Castrol Syntec "german"

Cheers

Kevin
No, you can switch to the Amsoil any time, with no issues at all with any oil type used previously. Same rule applies for any synthetic you might want to switch to later.
Will
Old 07-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Spoiled Z

Ok Im convinced to use Amsoil TSO 0W-30 on my next oil change. My question is how often do I need to change my oil and what oil filter to use. Im using dyno oil and I change it every 3k miles. Since Im switching to synthetic I don't expect to change my oil/oil filter every 3k.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Spoiled Z

If I use amsoil eao12 oil filter I dont have to change it til 15k? Thats scary.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 AM
RedBullRR

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, after reading this I'm saying to myself wish I would have found this earlier. I did my oil change this weekend myself for the first time in the Z since I have owned her (4 months). Changed the Oil filter for a Mobil 1. And used Mobil 1 5W30. As per our manual it states to use 5W30. Really wanted to use Royal Purple but they did not have it in 5W30. Well the oil change went pretty smooth with the exception that some used oil spilled on the Undertray. Didnt really notice it until I took off and I smelled Oil Burning. Anyhow the change went good, and now I have good oil pressure. I'm concerned though because of this thread. Anything I should be worried about?
Old 07-02-2007, 04:09 PM
lightner22

Originally Posted by RedBullRR
Well, after reading this I'm saying to myself wish I would have found this earlier. I did my oil change this weekend myself for the first time in the Z since I have owned her (4 months). Changed the Oil filter for a Mobil 1. And used Mobil 1 5W30. As per our manual it states to use 5W30. Really wanted to use Royal Purple but they did not have it in 5W30. Well the oil change went pretty smooth with the exception that some used oil spilled on the Undertray. Didnt really notice it until I took off and I smelled Oil Burning. Anyhow the change went good, and now I have good oil pressure. I'm concerned though because of this thread. Anything I should be worried about?
No. I've had good results with M1 5w30 and I still haven't seen "bad" charts for it. It's just not as good as 0w40 for the money, but its not bad oil. Don't buy into the whole "they changed their formula" until someone provides proof...I've kept asking for it and no one can provide it because its an internet rumor that keeps making the rounds.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:15 PM
Bevo

Originally Posted by lightner22
No. I've had good results with M1 5w30 and I still haven't seen "bad" charts for it. It's just not as good as 0w40 for the money, but its not bad oil. Don't buy into the whole "they changed their formula" until someone provides proof...I've kept asking for it and no one can provide it because its an internet rumor that keeps making the rounds.
Ya i've been using Mobil 1 5W-30 since the very first oil change, so far so good.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:24 PM
Lenski

Ok there is a ton of great content on this thread, but can I switch it up a bit?
Here is my scenario:

I did my first oil change in my '07 this weekend w/ M1 5w30. I am now observing higher oil pressure all all engine temps. It is idling around 25 psi when warmed up, and under accelaration it is pegged at 120 psi by 4,000 rpm.

Is this something other people have observed? Oil level looks fine, although it is hard to read with such new oil on the dipstick. I used a little over 5 quarts, motor sounds fine, drives fine, but the higher pressure is concerning me. Apologies if this has been discussed previously in the thread, I couldn't locate much info specific to my scenario.

Thoghts from those with more experience than myself are appreciated!
Old 08-01-2007, 08:32 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your oil pressure will increase severly from the regular oil to synthetic switch. Oil pressure isn't necessarly bad, but over the overfill (slightly over 5 quarts) could be the cause of it. I wouldn't go over 5 quarts ever... not even a half of quart.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 AM
Lenski

Thanks for the feedback - that makes me feel better about it. I used a tad over 5 quarts as the manual stated to do when replacing the filter...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 PM
SniperHunter

I just bought Mobil 1 0w40 Euro Formula. I know you guys are saying 0W40 is good, but is the Euro Formula good stuff?
Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Resolute

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
I just bought Mobil 1 0w40 Euro Formula. I know you guys are saying 0W40 is good, but is the Euro Formula good stuff?
It's the same.

Will
Old 08-08-2007, 12:35 PM
SniperHunter

Awesome. Was looking forward to a response from you, Resolute.

Thanks man!

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 Oil Users - Motor oil discussion thread