Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Powershifting Funny

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 07:37 PM
MulhollandDrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powershifting Funny

Well since I am certainly one of the older drivers here, the idea of abusing my Z by powershifting seemed silly. BUT, what the heck. I tried it basically shifting as fast as I could without lifting off the throttle uisng half **ssed clutching (literally using about half the clutch travel). It was fun and yes the sound of revs going up between shifts was really weird and yes it seemed a bit faster, but short of drag racing I don't think it is worth the abuse to the machinery. Then I found this on the Internet:

"And double-clutching? It's like granny shifting except that you actually let the clutch out when you're in neutral, bring up the engine RPMs again, then push in the clutch and go into the next gear. And you do it all VERY fast. This was especially necessary on older cars before synchro gears smoothed the processes of changing gears in the gearbox. It is also a way to avoid grinding gears on transmissions that have been damaged by _powershifting_ too much."

Too funny. So I now I can go from double clutching my dad's flathead 6 dodge power wagon with no synchros to double clutching my supercharged Z with no synchros
Old 03-18-2007, 07:42 PM
iceagetlc

Double-clutching really only makes sense for downshifting. Otherwise you can do it without a clutch. I've shifted in my Z without the clutch plenty of times. Certainly not faster though. Just neat.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:04 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by iceagetlc
Double-clutching really only makes sense for downshifting. Otherwise you can do it without a clutch. I've shifted in my Z without the clutch plenty of times. Certainly not faster though. Just neat.
iceagetlc... If you do this without lifting your foot off the throttle, keeping the accelerator pedal to the floor (AKA Powershifting), I _think_ it is a bit faster, like by .1 seconds or so in the 1/4 mile

DISCLAIMER: If any noob wants to try this, don't... unless you have enough money for a new transmission!
Old 03-18-2007, 08:15 PM
alann

When I got my first "Muscle" car I learned to powershift. It was a brand new 1967 GTO with a Muncie "rock crusher" trans and a HEAVY clutch. Got it when I was a sophmore in high school. I dropped several tannies out of it and lost the rear end at least once a season. It was a real knee slapper! This 350Z is alot easier to shift while my right foot is pushing on the left headlight! For serious Drag Racing I have always used an auto trans and always will.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:27 PM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by alann
When I got my first "Muscle" car I learned to powershift. It was a brand new 1967 GTO with a Muncie "rock crusher" trans and a HEAVY clutch. Got it when I was a sophmore in high school. I dropped several tannies out of it and lost the rear end at least once a season. It was a real knee slapper! This 350Z is alot easier to shift while my right foot is pushing on the left headlight! For serious Drag Racing I have always used an auto trans and always will.
Funny, I had a 1967 Cougar GT, 390 V8 3 speed auto, lived near Van Nuys Blvd. Would spin the wheels going from 1 to 2. BUT WORTHLESS BRAKES.

I think it is silly that you cannot hold down the brakes _and_ gas on an auto Z, preloading the Z autos, without taking out the brake light fuse.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:28 PM
moflow

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

I always double clutch my downshifts. It's just a habit. Plus i think it's fun.

I've also downshifted without using the clutch, which was hard and would frequently result in a grind. Havn't done this with the Z though...and don't intend to.