Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

2007 touring might need new tranny.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 02:52 PM
evolved326

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 touring might need new tranny.

After replacing the master clutch cylinder, the tech guy says my car might need a new tranny. The clutch loses pressure and at times sticks to the floor. For you guys with an 07 go on the freeway anf try to acelerate hard in 6th. Then after a while feel your clouch and see if it sinks.

Corporate made him and me go in another 07 on the lot to reproduce the problem and the tech guy said it was kinda doin it but not as much. So maybe its on all 07's, maybe not.

Ill let you guys know what happens...
Old 03-22-2007, 03:02 PM
DriftMyRide

My 06 has done this a couple times but when i was in a lower gear. The tech told me when the clutch heats up to much, the pedal sticks to the floor.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:06 PM
evolved326

Originally Posted by DriftMyRide
My 06 has done this a couple times but when i was in a lower gear. The tech told me when the clutch heats up to much, the pedal sticks to the floor.

And this is ok with you? Definately get something done. Thats not even safe.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:37 PM
foochdawg

My '05 did that sometimes. It would be accelerating hard. I back out of my driveway onto a highway and a couple times I had to be quick with it and I back up put it in first and launch it and sometime after I released the clutch pedal it would "pop" up like a second later. It never really did anything like cause the clutch to slip or anything. I just never really thought of it. I have upgraded to an '07 and while I am still in the wear in period(330 miles) I have moderatly accelerated on the highway on the way home(5 hour trip back from the dealer where I had to get the car) many times with no issues yet.
Old 03-22-2007, 03:44 PM
shanki456

that sucks man, I feel for you ;/
Old 03-22-2007, 04:08 PM
aren21

The pedal on my 06 would not come up all the way, but it would stuck about 3/4 of the way up, only for a few seconds. And thats after a hard take off, or taking a standing start from a really steep incline. I took it in, the guy said there was too much freeplay, and fixed it. What your describing makes me think there might be air in the lines or something. Make them fix it, its not even safe!!
Old 03-22-2007, 04:10 PM
TheGest

yea not good, im about to buy a 07, ill be on the look out, my friends altima did that
Old 03-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Three50zeee

my 07 was doing that the first week i got it but i thought it was just because it was really cold out and it needed to warm up and when it did it still felt a little sticky and now when you shut the car off it sounds like a throw out bearing is loose and i haven't even beat the car so i might have the same problem as you
Old 03-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Blacryan

Yep mine did that 1ce the first few 100 miles, but now its golden. Tried that today and it doesnt do it.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:16 PM
evolved326

YEah corporate seems pretty concerned. In the test drive of the car off the lot I said "if this car does it too, recall time!" jokeingly. And he said "yeah, these systems are new on the Z" in a pretty serious tone. I dont know what he meant but all I remember is someone saying the 07 Z's clutch is much lighter.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:18 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow I hope whatever it is you 07 guys get it figured out, that sounds like a huge safety issue too!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:27 PM
evolved326

I am so surprise so many have these sticking issues and dont try to fix it. To clarify, my sticking is obviously due to lack of hydrolic pressure. Ever had a bad break master cylinder? Like you step down and there's no pressure for like 50% of the way down.

Are you guys descriding alot of pressure against your foot but the clutch jsut sticking for no obvious reason?

Either way, get it checked out. The clutch/stick to me in jsut as important as motor/suspension in a "true" 2-seater sports car. Plus, doesnt sound safe!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:29 PM
plumpzz

If you gun it in 6th at a low speed, ofcourse the clutch is going to heat up..
Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 PM
Starchecker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You've got to be kidding me. They release this new system and right away they are having serious problems with it. How did they not catch this BEFORE they released it, don't they test their systems anymore.

They must be taking notes from Microsoft!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:32 PM
myZter
PREMIER MEM.FTW

my 06 never got stuck? does it matter on built date?
Old 03-22-2007, 06:38 PM
evolved326

Originally Posted by plumpzz
If you gun it in 6th at a low speed, ofcourse the clutch is going to heat up..

Im not running it at low speeds more like 80-90. You never accelerate on the freeway in 6th gear? I does it alot just cruising too. The clutch stuck to the floor while the tech was driving it 35mph on the in road. I jsut figured out how to reproduce it for the techs to see. Driven sticks for years never had a problem.

Plus, if this was normal, wouldnt it be on the manual somewhere so 1 million Joe-Drivers dont come back the the dealership complaining?

If it was normal, if all Z's did this, 10% of drivers would have panicked when their clutch was not responsivee and stuck to the floor coming off an offramp and ran into a tree. Ive driven beaters most my life and know how to pump =)

Last edited by evolved326; 03-22-2007 at 06:40 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:43 PM
foochdawg

I think you're problem might be different than what I had in my '05. mine snapped back hard with a thump. It never stayed all the way down and never felt...lethargic I guess you could call it. On my trip home I accelerated pretty hard in 6th a lot and it never felt any different or unresponsive. Does this happen to you alot? How do you recreate it, so that I can try to do it.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:49 PM
plumpzz

No im not doubting you, i had my transmission chagned on my O5, but it was for a different issue. But before it was replaced, it would sink to the floor if i tried to launch the car. I dont think they mated the clutch with the car right. It would slip on launches. With the new flywheel and clutch and tranny (all part of the CD009 swap), the car bites hard and it actually has never sunk to the floor,, even after countless launches at the drag strip and then messing around later that night. I think i got around 15 launches that day and the clutch never felt funny.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 PM
evolved326

Well let me tell you my story.

Drove home from work wednesday and the clutch felt weird. Alsmot stalled from a red light. Fine, whatever...

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=evolved326

Then the next day, I kmew something was wrong. Felt like my Integra did when it's master break cylinder was goin out., Step on the pedal and the only tension I feel was prolly some spring. No hydrolic pressure for a good 1/2 way down the travel. Then, It stuck to the floor. I was like "**** this". Called the dealer but they werent taking more customers. (5:30pm)

Next day, drove it there at 7:30am thursday. On the way there, it stuck again! They say leave it I said fine. Called them at 11am and 2pm. They said they could not reproduce it. They called back and said they reproduced it and I need a new master Cylinder. I say fine. (I mention it on the above post)

Got it back monday and drive it normally. Feels not 100% but *** it, it's in my head .

Tuesday, no hydrolic pressure until 50% travel. Called about it asking for my rep who wasnt there. They said take it in.

Wednesday, took it in but was too late in the day again. (4:30pm)

Thursday!!! Took it in. I demanded a rental because last time, they had it for 4 days and never offered me one. Its a brand new car! Anyways, got to work and got a call from them 2-3 hours later. They cannot reproduce it. **** ( i was totally cool with them tohugh we shot the breeze and I found out mechs work on commision) I drive of saying "**** it, its a sports car, theres alot of wierd noises, and its not smooth, and theres the over heating clutch", DEAL WITH IT! Hop on the free way doin 70, loss of hydrolic pressure!! I go back to the dealership. " I need to drive you in it man!" He calls Bob (no joke) the chief mechanic who goes with me. He sees my foot, and he sees the clutch, not good. HE drives it and says, "yeah, its stuck". Exited the freeway on Trask, still stuck doing only 35! He says "you might need a new tranny" =(

Well thats my story. Sucks to be me.

Last edited by evolved326; 03-22-2007 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:07 PM
infamous350

Dam this suks i was just in process of trading my 03 for a 07. Only because i wanted a z thats solid and wont havce anyt issues. Even though my 03 never had a issue yet. I think it grinded once since i had it in 3rd when it was 10degrees and i onyl warmed up for 2 min hasnt dont it since. How are the trannies on the 07 is it the same as in 03-06 models or is it improved so it doesnt grind or have synchro failure. I mean i guess im one of the luky ones my 2003 db touring has 54000 miles i bought it with 17k no problems at all so far. Orignal trannie, clutch and engine. All i have done is change the oil and tune ups of course. But i was really hoping these 07 were bullet proof whiel everyone was worried with wut it gets to the wheels i was just hoping all the bugs are out. i would have rathered they didnt even improve performance without gettin that trannie right first. And for godsakes it better not burn any oil

Quick Reply: 2007 touring might need new tranny.