Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

VQ Oil Analysis and Info

Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Steve-O Z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I'm not interested in reading 51 pages which mostly consist of people blabbering like they know everything or where people say what oil they use is best. Is there any way we can compile some USEFUL and PROVEN info in a concise thread somewhere? I'm not happy with my oil and I would like to know what is great. What I don't want to do is read 51 pages of ******** for less than 1 page of useful facts.

Currently, I'm using Rotella TSyn 5w40 and it burns off worse than anything else I've ever used (I put in 5 qts and I've added 2), including that water thin 5w30 Royal Purple. I'm debating between Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum or Mobil 1 but I'm open to others if they have proven and consistent UOAs for the VQ.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:18 PM
tquill

The OP is working on an updated list that includes all the relevant data.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve-O Z33
So I'm not interested in reading 51 pages which mostly consist of people blabbering like they know everything or where people say what oil they use is best. Is there any way we can compile some USEFUL and PROVEN info in a concise thread somewhere? I'm not happy with my oil and I would like to know what is great. What I don't want to do is read 51 pages of ******** for less than 1 page of useful facts.

Currently, I'm using Rotella TSyn 5w40 and it burns off worse than anything else I've ever used (I put in 5 qts and I've added 2), including that water thin 5w30 Royal Purple. I'm debating between Pennzoil Ultra or Platinum or Mobil 1 but I'm open to others if they have proven and consistent UOAs for the VQ.
Amsoil 5-40 , used to run Amsoil 0w30 but my car drank a lot of it. I switched over and changed my PCV valve and only sip oil now. 126k with heavy track abuse.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't say "working on" it, but it is still in my pile of stuff to do. As much as I'd like to just bust out some new stuff and re-write the first page with a ton of new info, it doesn't take precedence over anything else in my life. With spring break coming up in March, I hope to set aside some time to just start typing some new material.

Will
Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
tquill

Originally Posted by Resolute
I wouldn't say "working on" it, but it is still in my pile of stuff to do. As much as I'd like to just bust out some new stuff and re-write the first page with a ton of new info, it doesn't take precedence over anything else in my life. With spring break coming up in March, I hope to set aside some time to just start typing some new material.

Will
I figured as much, and I completely understand priorities.

Anyway, I worded it that way so it didn't seem like I was pushing you to finish it up like "he is supposed to be posting here soon" or something of that nature.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 PM
VQdriver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What's your service interval for the 2 qts you added? Are you sure your VQ doesn't have a consumption issue that is serviceable under the TSB for your model year? It is to my understanding the VQ will drink any type of oil under all viscosities. I have not yet found a post where someone said they used x type of oil with x viscosity and their consumption has gone to ZERO. Has anyone here found something that cures it? Just wondering...
Old 01-27-2011, 01:02 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

Originally Posted by VQdriver
What's your service interval for the 2 qts you added? Are you sure your VQ doesn't have a consumption issue that is serviceable under the TSB for your model year? It is to my understanding the VQ will drink any type of oil under all viscosities. I have not yet found a post where someone said they used x type of oil with x viscosity and their consumption has gone to ZERO. Has anyone here found something that cures it? Just wondering...
Supertech synthetic 10w30 (walmart brand) on my 05 , no oil burned during the 5k interval. My 03 has burned oil since the day i bought it.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:36 PM
VQdriver

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Supertech synthetic 10w30 (walmart brand) on my 05 , no oil burned during the 5k interval. My 03 has burned oil since the day i bought it.
Supertech synthetic 10W-30 huh? No kidding...I've used their 5W-30 to top off one time...I guess in the long run you can't go wrong with whatever oil as long as it's changed in a timely fashion.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 AM
2000atlanticgt

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a UOA from Blackstone on my wife's G35x running Schaeffer Supreme 9000 5w30. I was impressed with the results considering the mileage (6,473) and that she does a lot of short drives to work or to the grocery store. Only time the car ever sees any highway miles is when I drive it which is at most once a week.

Edit: This oil was ran with a Firestone branded filter. My brother owns an independent Bridgestone/Firestone store in MO and stocks the Schaeffer brand oils.

2005G35XUOA.jpg?t=1296399763

Last edited by 2000atlanticgt; 01-30-2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM
Steve-O Z33

Honestly, I suspect that my neighbor stole some of my oil but I'm not sure. I filled a 1qt. RP bottle with TSyn to top off more accurately with. Then I drove home with the oil jug and the 1 qt. bottle. No way in hell I'd leave a lid loose on an oil jug that is in my front floorboard. And the cap was loose the 1st time I tried to use any from the jug. Also, some of my expensive microfiber towels were stolen from my supplies. But I only have a couple thousand miles since switching. =/

But recently, I was about 1/4" low on the stick after a 200 mile commute.

I'm going to change back to Castrol. When I used Syntec, I never had consumption issues. I didn't want to support BP but it's ridiculous. RP is thin as hell and the Rotella just burns off. This time, I'm going to use the German Castrol. At this point, I don't have any warranty left, so the dealer couldn't care less if I have developed consumption. The car has nearly 30k on it and this is the 1st time I've had an issue. Maybe it's the PCV as mentioned above?

Last edited by Steve-O Z33; 02-02-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:44 PM
350zx6r

Originally Posted by terrasmak
is ur '05 a rev-up engine and what filter? cause im thinking it could be either filter or oil combo. im gonna give it a try. thx
Old 02-03-2011, 09:49 AM
tquill

Blackstone sent me 12 new testing kits for some reason. I only asked for 2.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:35 PM
VQdriver

Just top it off and check again after it's been parked for a few hours. Check again in 1,000mi.

Honestly, I suspect that my neighbor stole some of my oil but I'm not sure. I filled a 1qt. RP bottle with TSyn to top off more accurately with. Then I drove home with the oil jug and the 1 qt. bottle. No way in hell I'd leave a lid loose on an oil jug that is in my front floorboard. And the cap was loose the 1st time I tried to use any from the jug. Also, some of my expensive microfiber towels were stolen from my supplies. But I only have a couple thousand miles since switching. =/

But recently, I was about 1/4" low on the stick after a 200 mile commute.

I'm going to change back to Castrol. When I used Syntec, I never had consumption issues. I didn't want to support BP but it's ridiculous. RP is thin as hell and the Rotella just burns off. This time, I'm going to use the German Castrol. At this point, I don't have any warranty left, so the dealer couldn't care less if I have developed consumption. The car has nearly 30k on it and this is the 1st time I've had an issue. Maybe it's the PCV as mentioned above?
Old 02-06-2011, 07:38 PM
omsin523

Originally Posted by tquill
Blackstone sent me 12 new testing kits for some reason. I only asked for 2.
after I sent in my first sample, I received 4 in the mail and ive never asked for one back lol
Old 02-07-2011, 08:11 PM
Steve-O Z33

Just top it off and check again after it's been parked for a few hours. Check again in 1,000mi.
I installed a catch can a while back. One day, with the engine running (for whatever reason), I decided to check my level in the can. When I pulled the drain plug, I realized there was a good deal of vacuum in there and thought, "having this extra volume in line with a vac. hose is probably not good." So I removed it. Since installing that catch can, I had inconsistent performance from the car and low dyno #s that indicate misfiring, etc. Everything was indicative of a faulty PCV. At times, I had rough idle. The car just wouldn't run as strong.

I ordered a new PCV valve and I bought German Castrol. I'll post back if anything changes.

I actually heard a vacuum leak a few weeks ago as well and realized that one of my hose clamps was faulty. It wasn't holding. I replaced that and now the car seems to run a little better but I'll still feel better once I have a new PCV, since I obviously obstructed its function for quite a while.

Last edited by Steve-O Z33; 02-07-2011 at 08:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:02 AM
tquill

I'm just about to do my third UOA on Castrol GTX 5w-30. Next up is green Syntec 0w-30. The one after that will be the gold. I would do more greens, but my local autozone doesn't have anymore it seems like.

Anyway, I'll try and find out if there's any substantial difference between green and gold.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:20 AM
omsin523

pepboys has the GC, ill be doing my UOA on the castrol edge in the next month or two ill be posting my results soon as i get them.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:50 PM
thescreensavers

^ Edge shows good UOA's but I used it last OCI. It made a ticking sound every time. I just changed back to Syntec and its quiet again. Same with my Dads LS430, but his ticking was a lot louder.

So I probably will not be going back to Edge.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:58 AM
Ace07

Originally Posted by omsin523
pepboys has the GC, ill be doing my UOA on the castrol edge in the next month or two ill be posting my results soon as i get them.
Is everyone referring to the Castrol Edge with Syntec Technology (black container) or the Castrol Edge with Titanium Fluid Strength Technology (gold container)??
Old 02-23-2011, 09:06 PM
omsin523

i used the gold one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VQ Oil Analysis and Info