Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

The 2007 Synthetic Oil Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 09:15 AM
prostreetonline

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To clarify and answer some questions...

Yes we do sell oil, and we sell just about every brand. No manufactures paid us to do this test, and no one is sponsoring it by providing free oil. We happened to want to know if oil does make a difference on the dyno, so we took what we currently had on the shelf, and used it for the test.

Every time the oil was changed, he car would get 2-3 pulls to "seat" the oil in the motor. (For lack of a better term).

Before each pull, the car was brought to the same operating temp.

The car will always vary in horsepower from pull to pull. Our goal was to try and see if there was a common gain or loss from switching oils, and leaving everything else as constant as possible.

Our test is not designed to help us sell more oil, it is designed just to show you guys the data we collected from different oils that were tested in as close conditions as possible, and let you make up your mind as to which oil you prefer.

The negative horsepower tests are the ones which will show the differences in oil viscosity between the brands. We will post these charts shortly. These are probably the most important tests. Some of the oils definately showed very interesting results with the negative horsepower tests as to their viscosity rating/break down.

Also keep in mind, the oil we drained was in need of replacing. The jump in horsepower could be attibuted to going from older oil, to a fresh flush. I would more look at some of the differences between the synthetics, as opposed to the jump between the stock oil and the first test.
Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by prostreetonline

Also keep in mind, the oil we drained was in need of replacing. The jump in horsepower could be attibuted to going from older oil, to a fresh flush. I would more look at some of the differences between the synthetics, as opposed to the jump between the stock oil and the first test.
I would say, go ahead and throw some fresh stock grade oil back in the car and see what it does.

But, i do enjoy tests like these. People can take it for what it is.

Looking forward to the differences in oil viscosity between the brands.

Later
Todd
Old 03-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could send out the used oil for analysis. there are alot of companies that can do this. and it's relatively cheap/
Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 PM
LG_z33

Despite the many variables, this was an interesting experiment. Ill stick with rp though just due to the fact that its easy to find (pep boys).
Old 03-30-2007, 04:28 PM
John

Originally Posted by Motormouth
you could send out the used oil for analysis. there are alot of companies that can do this. and it's relatively cheap/
There isn't going to be anything to really analyze in oil that's used for 5 total use cycles in the motor (<10 miles).
Old 03-30-2007, 05:49 PM
JonsilvZ

Mobil 1 and Castrol syntec all the way! The major gas companies make these oils. Exxon and BP.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:10 PM
03performz

My main concern is losing compression over the life of the engine. I couldn't give a fk if I get an extra 9hp from an oil only for immediate gain, while it's destroying my engine due to it's lack of protection. Anyone run Royal Purple for more than 70K miles and do a compression test? That would be some useful info.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:12 PM
IP05G35

Compression loss with high mileage has very little to do with what oil you run... unless you are low on oil.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:20 PM
03performz

Originally Posted by IP05G35
Compression loss with high mileage has very little to do with what oil you run... unless you are low on oil.
?? If your oil is total ish and doesn't protect for ish, you're telling me that you're compression won't eventually be compromised?
Old 03-30-2007, 10:38 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by 03performz
?? If your oil is total ish and doesn't protect for ish, you're telling me that you're compression won't eventually be compromised?
In the whole things these factors aren’t relevant. The reality is any and all current products are fine for our motors.

Flame all you want. I have my fav too (AmsOil)... but your car isn’t running any better with another oil, nor mine with AmsOil. And neither car is necessarily performing better.

Let's all talk about it when we have 200K miles.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:44 PM
corsair

Two words.

German Castrol!