Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Transmission Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 12:16 PM
deprived...Not

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Noise

I have a 2006 Coupe MT with about 1900 miles on it. How much of a transmission whine should I be hearing? If I let off the gas a little at 75 or 80 there is a definite high pitch whine. I used to think it was the differential, but it seems to be coming from under the gear shift or maybe a little more forward.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:32 PM
gabez33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deprived...Not
I have a 2006 Coupe MT with about 1900 miles on it. How much of a transmission whine should I be hearing? If I let off the gas a little at 75 or 80 there is a definite high pitch whine. I used to think it was the differential, but it seems to be coming from under the gear shift or maybe a little more forward.

I have an 03 and it does the same ...am curious too............anyone?
Old 04-01-2007, 08:52 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

normal...performance cars make lots of fun noises. Even more so after you start to mod them.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:49 AM
deprived...Not

I've occasionaly gotten a popping noise when I push the clutch all the way in. Now it seems more common. It's usually on the first couple of shifts of the day, but it can also be when I push the clutch in while exiting off the hiway and no downshifting. It's obvious enough that my wife noticed it, and for her to comment, it's got to be real obvious.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:58 PM
showtypeZ

Originally Posted by deprived...Not
I've occasionaly gotten a popping noise when I push the clutch all the way in. Now it seems more common. It's usually on the first couple of shifts of the day, but it can also be when I push the clutch in while exiting off the hiway and no downshifting. It's obvious enough that my wife noticed it, and for her to comment, it's got to be real obvious.

Yes, my car started doing that with about 400 miles on it. I'm up to 2200 miles now and its subsided some now, but still concerns me. I have an 06 base. And of course when I go to the dealer...they can't reproduce it, so they don't bother looking at it. There needs to be a recall for this as this is an obvious problem for quite a few people. That and the oil consumption problem. 2117 miles on the car and I had to add 2 full quarts of oil to fill it up. I shouldn't have to do that on a brand new car!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:38 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am on Transmission number 2. Had the original replaced after 5000 miles because it would grind gears on a normal shift.

My tranny dose a lot of rattleing out of gear. Whines a bit when going into first gear from a downgear. It's always rattled so not sure if thats normal or not. It sounds liek the clutch is not happy.

Will know next week when I get a new JWT clutch and JWT flywheel installed.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by showtypeZ
Yes, my car started doing that with about 400 miles on it. I'm up to 2200 miles now and its subsided some now, but still concerns me. I have an 06 base. And of course when I go to the dealer...they can't reproduce it, so they don't bother looking at it. There needs to be a recall for this as this is an obvious problem for quite a few people. That and the oil consumption problem. 2117 miles on the car and I had to add 2 full quarts of oil to fill it up. I shouldn't have to do that on a brand new car!

So you want nissan to issue a recall because of a noise your transmission makes? Unless your car is malfunctioning, I don't see any reason to be alarmed with the drivetrain noise. You're driving a sports car and sports cars use heavier duty parts that tend to make more noise when they operate.

As for the oil consumption, I can't help you there, but I do know that Nissan is well aware of the issue.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:09 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by Mukrat
My tranny dose a lot of rattleing out of gear.
Completely normal. All 350Z transmissions rattle when not under load to a certain extent.

Whines a bit when going into first gear from a downgear.
That's your synchronizers doing their job.

It's always rattled so not sure if thats normal or not. It sounds liek the clutch is not happy.
The clutch has nothing to do with transmission noise.

Will know next week when I get a new JWT clutch and JWT flywheel installed.
You think your car rattles now. Just wait til you get that single mass JWT flywheel in there. It'll sound like a cement mixer at idle and it'll be very loud under low rpm acceleration. The stock flywheel is a dual-mass unit that dampens lots of the vibrations from the motor to the rest of the drivetrain.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
You think your car rattles now. Just wait til you get that single mass JWT flywheel in there. It'll sound like a cement mixer at idle and it'll be very loud under low rpm acceleration. The stock flywheel is a dual-mass unit that dampens lots of the vibrations from the motor to the rest of the drivetrain.
Thanks for the info BriGuyMax.

I never worried too much about the rattleing, figured it was normal since it did it from day one. But there was always this inclination to worry in the back of my head... it's gone now
Old 04-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
normal...performance cars make lots of fun noises. Even more so after you start to mod them.
+1 it's normal, just get used to the sounds your car makes and start to love them
Old 04-13-2007, 07:57 PM
autotrix04

i was hearing a clicking/clunking noise in neutral coming from underneath my Z that when i would push the clutch in it would go away. i took my car to service to figure out what the problem was, turns out i needed a new tranny, pressure plate, flywheel and clutch. it was nice to have all $8,500 of it covered under warranty and felt/sounded good for about 4 hours, its just ****ty that after all of that, the problem has now gotten worse. any suggestions what it could be?
Old 04-14-2007, 07:31 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by autotrix04
i was hearing a clicking/clunking noise in neutral coming from underneath my Z that when i would push the clutch in it would go away. i took my car to service to figure out what the problem was, turns out i needed a new tranny, pressure plate, flywheel and clutch. it was nice to have all $8,500 of it covered under warranty and felt/sounded good for about 4 hours, its just ****ty that after all of that, the problem has now gotten worse. any suggestions what it could be?

That sound you're hearing is completely normal heavy duty bearing noise from the 350Z transmission. EVERY 350Z does it. I have no idea why a nissan dealer would replace all that stuff when there wasn't any part operating incorrectly or failing. I could see if you had clutch engagement or excessive slipping issues and/or grinding into gears, but if everything WORKED properly then there was nothing wrong with your car.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:34 PM
MeZ

Default Whining after letting off gas at 70mph

I also have noticed a whine when I let off the gas after about 70 mph. The car only has 8100 miles on it and it does not do it all the time. It does worry me, since the same noise would indicate a bad tranny on older American cars. I am still going to take it to Nissan to get it checked out this Friday. I am going on a trip soon and I don't want to be surprised.

I am hoping that it is just like what you guys said - that this is a sports car and that is a typical sound.