Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Spinoff of Audible Mayhem's 305HP thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 PM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is warm milk still talking? Did you not read what we wrote? 380RS in japan runs on pump gas and has 395 n/a hp. It still retains factory intake manifold and TB's.

Jeremy doesnt have sick cams, or a crazy ITB setup except those RSX's do. It's cheaper to mod the hondas because the parts are easier to find and there is a market for it. Most folks supercharge/turbocharge a z, they don't run n/a.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:51 PM
da-masterbater
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
Is warm milk still talking? Did you not read what we wrote? 380RS in japan runs on pump gas and has 395 n/a hp. It still retains factory intake manifold and TB's.

Jeremy doesnt have sick cams, or a crazy ITB setup except those RSX's do. It's cheaper to mod the hondas because the parts are easier to find and there is a market for it. Most folks supercharge/turbocharge a z, they don't run n/a.
If only we could run k-pro.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by da-masterbater
If only we could run k-pro.
We have something better its called HKS F-con, AEM EMS, Motec.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:54 PM
da-masterbater
Banned

We have something better its called HKS F-con, AEM EMS, Motec.
I feel you.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:57 PM
97supratt

I feel you.
It's just too pricey. Owners would rather spend 10k to get 500whp f/i rather than 320whp n/a .
Old 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM
da-masterbater
Banned

It's just too pricey. Owners would rather spend 10k to get 500whp f/i rather than 320whp n/a .
500whp f/i is a dime a dozen, you get way more attention with 300+ na, at least with Z's.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

500whp f/i is a dime a dozen, you get way more attention with 300+ na, at least with Z's.
Maybe on the internet, but in real life, a 500whp f/i'd Z is nothing to scoff at.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 PM
warmmilk

i'll just shut up till i c results with wild cams and some real headers, cause otherwise this thing is never gonna end
Old 04-17-2007, 09:13 PM
97supratt

Yeah but 10k in N/A mods? Most people will laugh. Some of us do like the bragging rights therefore we still persue it.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:40 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
warmmilk,

I understand what you are saying, but you are comparing completed build to a half done test car. he is testing different combinations (some wild) to see what works... this isn't the end. it is the beginning. those guys in the K20s I am sure went through a couple engines before magically being able to pull out crazy hp/lt give it time.

be glad (I am sure you are) jeremy is keeping us in the loop of the parts he finds that work and the limits and diminishing of gains he sees... this is all just R&D...

R&D

: ) (tom)

well said, thats exactly right. here is why i did it. i wanted to hit 300 on a dynojet. i wanted to run 11s NA. it all happened or is happening pretty easily.

i also have shared EVERYthing i have done. its like public R and D. i am doing this to help other people not make costly mistakes that i can make for a lot less cause i own a shop and do all my own work.

cams will be next and will be sick, i will add in a few other things and get some more air in there. i have been talking with Lance Hayward about doing some ITBs for me and depending on cost, that might happen.

there are SO many stock parts still on the motor, i mean, i am running a stock computer with a utec in there right now. the utec doesnt even put the same timing figures in everytime for me. it has a bad habit of putting in either the value i have, OR something lower for timing. if i can get the greddy vmanage to work the VCT and ditch the DBW then i am only 1000-2000 away from a full standalone.

i think 400 is very possible. 350 is in the near future. i believe i could run 10s all motor as well one day. i just have short attention span.

i am just about ready to put my turbo 400 on with a 225 shot like i said and have the car go high 9s...

take this for me not braggin on what i am doing but helping push forward by sharing...
Old 04-18-2007, 04:55 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

You can't win. ANything you do isn't going to be good enough.

JT I think you have something going. And I would hate to see it stop. But I see what you mean with the attension span. This just brings the NA game to a whole new level. I just can't wait to see what happens with the cams your going to throw at it. Keep the journey going. And remeber I am intersted in the NA build
Old 04-18-2007, 06:46 AM
ke0ki2k

yeah. I say we start a "Jeremy's N/A build fund" on here. I wana see numbers with 272 profile cams, crawford heads/tests, full exhaust, etc etc etc !! GOGOGO!
Old 04-18-2007, 06:55 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Subscribed~ I, for one, am very interested in Jeremy's R&D efforts. Please keep up the great work! :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 04-18-2007 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2007, 07:27 AM
LHP

Originally Posted by warmmilk
i'll just shut up till i c results with wild cams and some real headers, cause otherwise this thing is never gonna end
The RSX / K engine that IPS put together was not equipped with ITB,s when making the 360+ hp.
I know, as I made the ITB systems and the plenum manifolds they played with to make those numbers.

The 52m/m RSX ITB system is capable of 300hp,
but it was a plenum manifold that was used to make the 360+,
And that was with very high compression and alcahol for fuel.

It's funny "someone" got a hold of me the other day,
to see about manifolding for the VQ35.
So I came on here to see what was going on in the VQ world,
and here are people talking about Honda K engines.

A completely different engine from the VQ35, which has no vtec or ivtec.
The VQ engine has fairly tight heads (small) compared to the Honda,
but the Honda only makes big ports work with the vtec cams etc.

To make big power out of the VQ35 N.A.,
you will have to open up the heads quite a bit and rev it up.

What intake system works the best to make good power in the VQ.
Time will tell.

LHP
www.haywardperformance.com
Old 04-18-2007, 10:22 AM
RBlover69

nice more techs to the NA party it can only help man
Old 04-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by warmmilk
color me not impressed, 305 whp from a fully built 3.5L V6 is pathetic when u see na k20's (which are 4 bangers for those that don't know) putting out 320+ whp. then u look at the cost to get 305 whp on the vq and it really gets ugly

btw, i just got the latest top of the line flame suit, and i'm wearing it
I would not call it fully built...it has cams that are not much different from stock

once cams go in and a proper set of headers, I think your opinion might very well change
Old 04-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
i trapped 111 with 290 to the wheels. i havent ran it with this final numbers.

it WILL go 11.99 at 113 without a doubt. thats almost a full second faster than my second fastest NA competition, i am not cocky at all, just want you to realize what i mean.

i trapped that 109 with 28 inch slicks on it.

dont believe numbers people put in their sigs, no one has over 280 on a dynojet that i have seen.
I've seen 1....ever
Old 04-18-2007, 11:51 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Prior to this, he highest DJ number I have seen was 280'something from the Crawford Z Car...and this was with a 290'ish duration camshaft setup. I am pretty sure this is the first undisputed 300whp DJ VQ35. The numbers from Japan are all BS BHP numbers, and are much higher.
Not quite all of em...just maybe the ones you've seen But I know what you mean

There are a couple of legit 300 + whp cars there....not many, but a few
Old 04-18-2007, 11:56 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Motormouth
warmmilk,

I understand what you are saying, but you are comparing completed build to a half done test car. he is testing different combinations (some wild) to see what works... this isn't the end. it is the beginning. those guys in the K20s I am sure went through a couple engines before magically being able to pull out crazy hp/lt give it time.

be glad (I am sure you are) jeremy is keeping us in the loop of the parts he finds that work and the limits and diminishing of gains he sees... this is all just R&D...

R&D

: ) (tom)
EXACTLY

He's tried out a whopping 1 set of cams and 1 set of half assed headers. The only thing I would have done differently to Jeremy is the compression, because, as I'm sure he'll agree with, that high CR is doing nothing for him as of now (could have likely been achieved with a far lower CR). Other than that though, he's sort of figured out in the past few months what many of us have been slowly learning over the past couple of years (which is how long some of us have been creating our NA cars behind the scenes). It's an experiment at this point for Jeremy as well as the rest of us. I think he deserves kudos to give this all a try and see what comes out the other end.

As for the K20 and its power potential...any way you slice it, it aint cheap to break 300 whp on one of those either.
Old 04-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is so much more room to grow with NA power. The first Nismo VQ35 put out 450 hp at the crank when it ran unrestricted for the Dakar Rally. Now RJN is racing a GT2 class 350Z making 510hp all motor @ 8,750 rpm, and 330lb/ft @ 6,500 rpm unrestricted. (check the new Nissan Sport magazine) The tuning and breathing options just aren't there yet for us mere mortals to make big NA numbers. The fact that Jeremy has done so well on his own with very minor mods in comparison is a huge testament to what can be done with this VQ engine. As he said, a better system to control the cam phasing and a lot of time to get it right would make some impressive gains- but he's only using a UTEC right now for crying out loud. Put some tuned headers on there and a better flowing intake design, more agressive cams to push the torque output higher in the rpm band... it's pretty amazing to think about. If he could get his torque up to 250 lb/ft at 7500 rpm, he'd have about 360 whp. He's really not that far away from being able to hit that.
Will

Quick Reply: Spinoff of Audible Mayhem's 305HP thread