Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

$90 for oil consumption test???

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:33 PM
SeinZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $90 for oil consumption test???

Hello all,
I have an 06 Base Z and am scheduled to get an oil change and oil consumption test done tomorrow (4-24). The dealership is trying to charge me $90 for the oil consumption test and is saying that they have to do some sort of pressure test.

Should I allow the shop to do this test? What is involved in the pressure test? Should I have to pay the $90 even though it's Nissan's trashy design that is causing problems.

This whole situation with the oil consumption is depressing and makes me regret getting this car So Unfortunate...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:38 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would go to another dealership, tell them you are losing a quart a week, and you need to have it fixed under warrenty. See what they say.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:44 PM
I1DER

Find out what part of the bill is for the oil consumption test and what part is for changing oil and filter. When you posted $90 for an oil consumption test I thought it was one of these fake idiot threads.

Tell them to forget the test. Your car is burning too much oil and you demand a new engine under warranty. They have to do the test for their own sake.

Then go to the thread about "Dealerships to Avoid" and report what they tried to do.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 AM
Q45tech

Dealerships don't have to do anything as they are independent businesses and have nothing to do with Warranty EXCEPT trying to find work they can charge Nissan to do.

A business needs revenue and if Nissan WON'T PAY you are next in the chain.

Paying $90 would be cheap if it got you a new engine!

Giving someone $500 in cash would be cheap if it got you a new engine!

Giving someone $1000 would be cheap if it got you a new engine!
Old 04-24-2007, 05:47 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I believe that you are looking at a compression check: the cylinder is pressurized to see if the piston ring seals the cylinder. The test costs about $90.
If the Z passes the test, you pay $90.
If the Z fails, it’s a warranty problem: Nissan pays.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:30 AM
TheGest

Originally Posted by Q45tech
Dealerships don't have to do anything as they are independent businesses and have nothing to do with Warranty EXCEPT trying to find work they can charge Nissan to do.

sssahhhhhaddddduuuupppp!!!!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:37 AM
jdifolco

Do you own a dealership?? I wouldn't pay a dime if there was something wrong with the engine when its under warranty still. Sounds like you would just give your money away for no reason. Idiot
Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 AM
Q45tech

Not involved with Nissan or a dealership in any manner, but we do replace lots of engines after the warranty expires from abusive owners not changing oil or maintaining oil levels at full causing premature wear. We tend to replace more 4 and V6 than V8 in Nissan and Lexus because the V8 hold more oil, are built better, and thus the reserve for abuse is higher.

A fragile V6 compared to years ago when peak HP didn't matter.

My point was do what you must to avoid spending $4-$8,000 on your own nickel for an engine replacement.

If you believe you have an engine problem sometimes it is necessary to agree to pay dealers for testing in advance that only costs you money if you pass and there is no legitimate problem found upon testing.

After all Nissan knows how many engines they have replaced and the results of testing [dealer and in the lab] vs numbers sold in US........they can estimate things pretty accurately by now.

Strangely younger drivers [under 35] seem to have more failing engines than middle aged owners?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 AM
Theatrix
Professional

It's an 06'! You should not have to pay one dime if you are legitimatley having a problem.
Are you? Or are you just checking if you have a problem?
If you are burning oil, then you have a problem, and no matter what the dealership has to do to diagnose the problem, its their problem.
Find another dealership.

Having said that, you have to be able to state your case. And don't let people take advantage of you!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 AM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,446 Likes on 1,768 Posts

Not involved with Nissan or a dealership in any manner, but we do replace lots of engines after the warranty expires from abusive owners not changing oil or maintaining oil levels at full causing premature wear. We tend to replace more 4 and V6 than V8 in Nissan and Lexus because the V8 hold more oil, are built better, and thus the reserve for abuse is higher.

A fragile V6 compared to years ago when peak HP didn't matter.

My point was do what you must to avoid spending $4-$8,000 on your own nickel for an engine replacement.

If you believe you have an engine problem sometimes it is necessary to agree to pay dealers for testing in advance that only costs you money if you pass and there is no legitimate problem found upon testing.

After all Nissan knows how many engines they have replaced and the results of testing [dealer and in the lab] vs numbers sold in US........they can estimate things pretty accurately by now.

Strangely younger drivers [under 35] seem to have more failing engines than middle aged owners?
The '06's are KNOWN to have oil consumption problems... it has nothing to do with how the car is driven or how old the driver is.

I wouldn't pay a dime if my car was burning up oil like it was going out of style.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Q45tech

As a side note over the past 22 years I have willingly paid a bonus to dealership techs/service managers who found SUDDENLY bad transmissions,engines, expensive ABS and other components that needed replacement 5,000 miles before a warranty or entended warranty expired.

The general public nor a technican not properly motivated to go the extra mile in testing surely would have missed the first signs of the impending failure 50,000 miles later way past the warranty.

Your FSM has hundreds of tests and specifications that are never MEASURED by the dealership.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:13 AM
Q45tech

The '06's are KNOWN to have oil consumption problems... it has nothing to do with how the car is driven or how old the driver is.

Unfortunately not every engine in every 06 G/Z RWD has an oil problem, not even the majority not even 10%...................but it is early we will have to wait 4 years to get the final count.............of 350z +G35 with same engine.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:20 AM
MasterRacer

According to Nissan it says in the manual that adding engine oil between changes is normal. They do not say however what "normal" is or how much.
I add oil now in betweeners around 1500 miles or so to top it off and make sure it stays full, unless your buring up 2 qts or something then there's an issue. Its a fact of life or so it seems and battling the dealers with a modified Z only gives them the upper hand soooooooo unless you wanna spend thousands of dollars in court battling it out just keep an eye on your engine oil level and fill as necessary unless its a rediculi amt.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:49 PM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeinZ
Hello all,
I have an 06 Base Z and am scheduled to get an oil change and oil consumption test done tomorrow (4-24). The dealership is trying to charge me $90 for the oil consumption test and is saying that they have to do some sort of pressure test.

Should I allow the shop to do this test? What is involved in the pressure test? Should I have to pay the $90 even though it's Nissan's trashy design that is causing problems.

This whole situation with the oil consumption is depressing and makes me regret getting this car So Unfortunate...
its a warranty issue, just remind them that they are getting paid by nissan for FREE WORK and you can take your business to another dealer that likes free money
Old 04-25-2007, 07:33 PM
bofa

Unfortunately not every engine in every 06 G/Z RWD has an oil problem, not even the majority not even 10%...................but it is early we will have to wait 4 years to get the final count.............of 350z +G35 with same engine.
Uhhh... where are you getting you 10% number? Honestly. Even by Nissan's own admittance it affect most 06s/35th Ann. with 6MTs.

Don't pay a goddamned dime for this test.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Q45tech

They had 2 different piston ring suppliers per my friends in Japan unfortunately they don't know which engines by VIN got which rings............some set properly and some don't depending on the individual driver break in proceedure. AND LUCK.

The local fuel sulfur compound % and ethanol content may prove a big differential factor.

The change in consumption vs oil types is a clue.

Try 10w40 >15w50 to increase the ring film now that it is warm.

Time will tell and like Toyota [V6 sludge problem] they will eventually figure it out and provide relief.

Just buy a case of oil and ride it out...........keep good legal records and don't **** off every dealer because someone will eventually have to replace an engine or 2 in your vehicle.

50 defects x 10 zones is only 500 units.

Think kind thoughts of those G35 owners with their 70k warranty.