Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Improving throttle response

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 03:38 PM
Z-T

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Improving throttle response

As the title says, what is the best method for improving throttle response on a '07 350Z without voiding the warranty or doing questionable modifications?
Chips often provide much better response and fuel delivery. CAI's are sometimes effective, but I'm trying to keep things looking and running as stock as possible. I'd consider a chip if it has a stealth mode like some of the APR units that can not be detected by dealer coputer systems.
Primarily I'm asking this because I just purchased my Z and find the throttle response (drive-by) to be very slow or innacurate to respond to driver input. I know this doesn't have individual throttle bodies like the M3, but I'd like to improve upon this issue if possible.
Thanks.
T.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Technosquare reflash would be the cheapest and easiest way to do it IMO
Old 05-23-2007, 06:28 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

To some extent, the "response" is programmed into the ECU. I doubt that the TS reflash affects that though.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Improved throttle response? Put a pulley on there. Spray paint it black like the OEM one... But I wouldn't leave it on too long for fear of accelerated bearing wear. The pulley might be balanced, but the belt's mass/ elasticity isn't. Dampening = good thing. Grounding kits also reportedly help with throttle response too. I think mine made a difference.

Last edited by gothchick; 05-23-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:55 PM
DVFlyer
Speed of White

To some extent, the "response" is programmed into the ECU. I doubt that the TS reflash affects that though.
I don't know for sure that it's the reflash, but my '05 has a TS reflash and two people have asked whether or not it has a lightened flywheel because it revs so fast.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:06 PM
DavesZ#3
350Z-holic

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The OP isn't talking about the engine response. He's talking about the delay between pressing the gas pedal and the response of the engine to that input. Unlike the hardwired throttle plates of the past.

"Primarily I'm asking this because I just purchased my Z and find the throttle response (drive-by) to be very slow or innacurate to respond to driver input. "
Old 05-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Billhyco

lightweight flywheel would have to help!

i think
Old 05-23-2007, 07:08 PM
gothchick

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
The OP isn't talking about the engine response. He's talking about the delay between pressing the gas pedal and the response of the engine to that input. Unlike the hardwired throttle plates of the past.

"Primarily I'm asking this because I just purchased my Z and find the throttle response (drive-by) to be very slow or innacurate to respond to driver input. "
I actually thought that too when I bought my first Z in '04 (coming from an '01 prelude type-sh). On my second Z now, and I guess I'm just used to the fly-by-wire split second throttle delay. He'll get used to it and not even notice it in time.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:42 PM
Z-T

Lol. Possibly, but I thought there must be software or chips that might improve this issue. It's not the first time I've actually heard of lagging throttle response with the 3.5L engine. The new 3-series is apprently prone to the same issue, but a chip (not sure which) helps.
Yes, I was referring to the poor response between driver input (stepping on the gas) and getting a response (a linear link between pedal depress and engine speed). There seems to be considerable lack of control to me.
It's not as apparent while going through gears, but from still/roll to 1st it is very noticable.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:39 AM
Z-T

So does Nismo or Stillen, someone make a chip? I can't find any info on it...
Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The 07' HR motor isn't laggy at all, i'm not quite sure what you mean by throttle response. You can gain a lot more response with various products such as a reflash, lightweight flywheel, and test pipes.

There isn't much of a gap when you mash on the pedal, just make sure you are in its efficiency range in rpms.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:57 AM
TheProfessional

I had someone look at my ECU with Cipher this weekend. He cleared the learned fuel settings, bumped idle to 750rpm, and bumped the timing +2 degrees. The only noticible difference was engine response seems much better, a lot less shift drag.

All of this is well within factory specs.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:06 AM
KPierson
Banned

The ECU reads in driver input from the accelerator pedal and then it decides where and how fast to move the throttle body. With a DBW car just because you have the accelrator down 50% doesn't mean your throttle body will be open 50%. The DBW computer is designed to maximize efficiency and to actually create smoother accelration. If you were to modify the system chances are you may accelerate faster but there is a good chance that the ride will lose the smoothness of the ride.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 AM
plumpzz

I remember BeeR making a system that cut down the lag between driver input and car action. Converting to a mechanical system will eliminate all lag maybe?
Old 05-24-2007, 11:44 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bore your throttle body and intake

and also flash your ECU and grounding kit.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:08 PM
dmroberson

Grounds will help some. That's the cheapest "upgrade" for throttle response. If you don't add any ground wires, at least take a dremmel to your stock grounds, and remove the paint around them, so you get better contact.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:23 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by gothchick
Improved throttle response? Put a pulley on there. Spray paint it black like the OEM one... But I wouldn't leave it on too long for fear of accelerated bearing wear. The pulley might be balanced, but the belt's mass/ elasticity isn't. Dampening = good thing. Grounding kits also reportedly help with throttle response too. I think mine made a difference.
A pulley does not affect throttle responce at all; nothing.

This is a common misconception. What it does is it allows your engine to "rev quicker", which has nothing to do with the throttle responce.

As far as throttle responce, the only thing I can think of is an EMS / Reflash, although im not certain it will help.

But all of this has already been covered here...

Old 05-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Z-T

Thanks guys. This has actually helped clear up a few misconceptions I had, as well as sheding light on the issue of "learned" DBW. The car has 130 miles and I drive it tenderly. Maybe it will improve once I drive it more to my liking. I know the flywheel (if heavy) can keep the revs up longer than desired (another symptom I'm experiencing).
Like Dinan, is there a Nissan version (I assumed Stillen) that might also provide a chip/improved engine management/response?
Thanks again, this is good info.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:50 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt
The 07' HR motor isn't laggy at all, i'm not quite sure what you mean by throttle response. You can gain a lot more response with various products such as a reflash, lightweight flywheel, and test pipes.

There isn't much of a gap when you mash on the pedal, just make sure you are in its efficiency range in rpms.

That's true, best throttle response is around peak Torque range...
Old 05-24-2007, 04:51 PM
ACEMAN
Master

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Z-T
As the title says, what is the best method for improving throttle response on a '07 350Z without voiding the warranty or doing questionable modifications?
Chips often provide much better response and fuel delivery. CAI's are sometimes effective, but I'm trying to keep things looking and running as stock as possible. I'd consider a chip if it has a stealth mode like some of the APR units that can not be detected by dealer coputer systems.
Primarily I'm asking this because I just purchased my Z and find the throttle response (drive-by) to be very slow or innacurate to respond to driver input. I know this doesn't have individual throttle bodies like the M3, but I'd like to improve upon this issue if possible.
Thanks.
T.
If you purchased a new 07, you do have 2 throttle bodies ( have you looked under the hood? )

I agree with what people have said below with reflashing the ECU, but to your disadvantage, this is not available yet. There is not alot known about the new HR engine. In time there will be alot out that will look stealth and help with performance. Just give it some time.

Later
Todd

Quick Reply: Improving throttle response