Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Why is a lightweight flywheel and clutch better??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007 | 05:36 AM
06MagneticZ

Default Why is a lightweight flywheel and clutch better??

This is such a noob question....but here it goes:
Oh and yes I searched with no luck.

Since my car was stolen and the idiot fried my clutch, insurance will probably be fixing the car soon. WCN said its cheaper installing the Nismo clutch and JWT flywheel. Its a win for me and a win for the insurance because stock parts are actually more expensive, but....exactly how does a lightweight flywheel and aftermarket clutch help out? Does it really make such a big difference?? I feel dumb asking this because I should know the answer, but I dont so help out. Thanks
Old 07-19-2007 | 05:38 AM
THE TECH

The lighter flywheel allows the engine to spin easier which will allow you to have less parasitic power loss. The stronger clutch allows you to run more power without the clutch slipping.
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:11 AM
MUZZY

Originally Posted by THE TECH
The lighter flywheel allows the engine to spin easier which will allow you to have less parasitic power loss. The stronger clutch allows you to run more power without the clutch slipping.
+1 what els can I say......
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:14 AM
OffsetZ33

Isnt there some extra noise produced by a lightened flywheel? And some disadvantages, say on hills?
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:24 AM
savvy

lightweight flywheels can produce what some refer to as the cement mixer sound when idling below a certain rpm.
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:56 AM
BabyZiLLa

Theres less rotating mass.. When you let off the gas your RPM's will drop quicker. You often also (depending how light you go) need to give a little more gas when taking off.

It takes some getting used to.. Like a short shifter... But once you do its all for the better imo
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:56 AM
THE TECH

Originally Posted by savvy
lightweight flywheels can produce what some refer to as the cement mixer sound when idling below a certain rpm.
Yeah but usually this can be cured by raising the RPMs via the CONSULT or Cipher.
Old 07-19-2007 | 06:58 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by savvy
the noise is not when idling, but rather when engaging first gear, at the lower end of the rpm scale, from around 1000 rpm to approx 2400 rpm.
Old 07-19-2007 | 10:21 AM
97supratt

In certain situations I recommend lightweight flywheels and in certain situations I don't. In your situation, since they are paying for it I suggest you go for it. I had the ACT combo and it was great. Even though the clutch was a little aggressive for some people, it was a nice workout for my left foot. The nismo setup is more streetable.
Old 07-19-2007 | 11:24 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by 97supratt
In certain situations I recommend lightweight flywheels and in certain situations I don't. In your situation, since they are paying for it I suggest you go for it. I had the ACT combo and it was great. Even though the clutch was a little aggressive for some people, it was a nice workout for my left foot. The nismo setup is more streetable.
Coming from a Supra i woulda thought you'd like the heavier clutch.. My last fun car as a GTR and i cant stand this woman of a clutch in the Z... Its way to light.
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:01 PM
97supratt

Originally Posted by BabyZiLLa
Coming from a Supra i woulda thought you'd like the heavier clutch.. My last fun car as a GTR and i cant stand this woman of a clutch in the Z... Its way to light.

Man in a supra, anything that's one piece will chatter like a ****. In the Z, it's a different story, since it's a V6 and the crank pulley absorbs most of the vibrations chatter is kept to a minimum.
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:02 PM
97supratt

My supra was auto unfortunately.
Old 07-19-2007 | 01:18 PM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by 97supratt
My supra was auto unfortunately.
ouch.. Thats like buying your girl implants but not being able to play with them..

Does look like a nice car though.
Old 07-19-2007 | 02:39 PM
97supratt

ouch.. Thats like buying your girl implants but not being able to play with them..

Does look like a nice car though.

LMAO So true. I did beat on c5 z06's like they were toys though.
Old 07-20-2007 | 07:36 AM
simonfencer

Originally Posted by THE TECH
I don't think parasitic loss is the exactly the right term but I understand what you are getting at.

the purpose of a heavier flywheel is, to put it very simply, to store momentum. What this means is if your engine is cold and has any misfires (think back to the old days of carburated engines and manual chokes) the momentum of the flywheel allows it to keep spinning. If you had a flywheel with zero mass the engine would stall since the act of compression the fuel mixture would slow the pistons down. A lighter flywheel stores less momentum, but can be more quickly accelerated.

I have no idea how much weight you could take out of a flywheel before it might have a detrimental effect on idle quality, but any rotational weight lost from the drive train is a good thing.

Sorry to ramble so early on a Friday morning...if your eyes glazed over at all reading this, just have another cup of coffee...that is what I am going to do.
Old 07-22-2007 | 10:15 AM
Dmorrisjr350z

The noise isn't to bad in previous cars i have owned. Have yet to start modding the Z. In my WRX the noise would come between 2-3000 rpms when i would get off the gas.. a little "rattle"

Other than that, i have had no problems with an upgraded clutch and light flywheel, like people say it will be really different to drive for about the first day.... the point of engagement will change and the car will rev a little quicker in most cases.

Dave
Old 07-22-2007 | 10:19 AM
jonnylaw

better acceleration. Less stress on the crankshaft
Old 07-22-2007 | 10:55 AM
IIQuickSilverII

IMO RPS MAX 6-puck with fly
Old 07-22-2007 | 12:00 PM
Mazinger Z

I've never had a lightweight flywheel but according to GT4 (hahha yeaa baby) a lightweight flywheel may let your car lose speed on inclines due to less rotational mass. Is that true?
Old 07-22-2007 | 01:16 PM
Fletch69z

I love my lightweight flywheel (JWT) and it does chatter but I think it's funny to watch people's reactions to it. They think something's wrong with the car until it takes off, .

Quick Reply: Why is a lightweight flywheel and clutch better??