Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Losing Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 07:16 PM
Das350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Losing Oil

I have a 2004 350z and for some reason I have been losing oil. The first time I noticed the the oil light would come one every once in a while for a second but fortunately it was right near my 3500 mile oil change. When I drained my oil I noticed that it was very low around 2 quarts or so. I never really check my my oil via dipstick until now. So I am like WTF there had been no visible leaks, smoking, or smell of oil leaking or burning. so tonight about 1 to 2000 miles later the light flashed on in the same manner as before and I checked the oil with the dipstick. There was like no oil covering it and the little bit that covered it was scattered everywhere. Does anyone have any idea whats going on or suggestions on what to do.

Thanks
Old 07-21-2007, 08:31 PM
blastoff99

Your oil pressure light would come on "every once in awhile" -- which I take to mean "more than once" -- and you didn't bother to check the dipstick? When you drained the oil you found it to be seriously low. Then after you knew you had an oil consumption problem you didn't bother to check it again until the light came on again? I'm confused by your lack of attention to this. I'm new to Z ownership, so I can't say for sure, but on most engines, by the time the light comes on it's too late. You're screwed. For your sake I hope that's not the case here.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:43 AM
SpeedRcr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Das350z
I have a 2004 350z and for some reason I have been losing oil. The first time I noticed the the oil light would come one every once in a while for a second but fortunately it was right near my 3500 mile oil change. When I drained my oil I noticed that it was very low around 2 quarts or so. I never really check my my oil via dipstick until now. So I am like WTF there had been no visible leaks, smoking, or smell of oil leaking or burning. so tonight about 1 to 2000 miles later the light flashed on in the same manner as before and I checked the oil with the dipstick. There was like no oil covering it and the little bit that covered it was scattered everywhere. Does anyone have any idea whats going on or suggestions on what to do.

Thanks
you are burning oil
Old 07-22-2007, 07:40 AM
fklentz

When I bought my roadster last year, an 04 with 35K miles, I changed my oil a month later. I was shocked when only 3 quarts came out. 3K miles later same thing. I always carry a quart of oil with me now and check it regularly at every other fill up.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:21 AM
Das350z

Yes at first I was neglectful but after the first instance I have been pretty much checking my oil level weekly. That is a good idea I guess I am going to have to carry extra oil with me. fklentz was you oil leak/burning visible at all when you were driving or could you smell it?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:57 PM
05Z33

Well if you're under 60,000 miles I would take the car in to the dealer and get a compression test. Tell them what is happening and they'll run a consumption test. I hope you keeped recipts to all your oil changes this will just show them that you have been keeping up with your maintenance. Once they go through all the proper steps they will probably come back to you with the bad news that your compression is low in one of your cylinders. The next step will be to replace your long block under warranty if you're still under 60,000 miles but first a nissan engineer will come to the dealer and inspect the inside of your oil pan. This is to determine if you have been maintaining your vehicle properly. If all goes well then you'll have a new motor in about 2 weeks turn around time. Get ready for a tough battle, just try not to **** them off to much you catch more flys with honey. Trust me on this I speak from experiance. My new motor runs great now.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:56 PM
Blazemaster

what if you have a few bolt-on mods such as test pipes and plenum spacers? will they use that against you?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:02 PM
fklentz

Originally Posted by Das350z
Yes at first I was neglectful but after the first instance I have been pretty much checking my oil level weekly. That is a good idea I guess I am going to have to carry extra oil with me. fklentz was you oil leak/burning visible at all when you were driving or could you smell it?
Not a drop leaked, no smoke car ran perfect. For some reason these engines just use oil. One quart in 1500 miles is not really excessive but I've never had a car that used oil like this.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Das350z

ahh alright thanks so much for all of the replies
Old 07-22-2007, 09:50 PM
go-fast
Banned

a while back they were recalling altima's off the showroom floor for the same problem.low tension oil rings imroved fuel economy but engines were running out of oil before their first oil change!!!!!alot of o.e.engines are doing this,i've seen g.m. vehicles using a quart every 400 miles!makes me want to scream
Old 07-23-2007, 07:10 AM
05Z33

Originally Posted by Blazemaster
what if you have a few bolt-on mods such as test pipes and plenum spacers? will they use that against you?
Yes. I had to take test pipes off. Lucky for me the dealer was cool about me bringing it back like I was never there before.