Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Which Z's have AT /w Manual?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 10:44 AM
freemist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Z's have AT /w Manual?

Which 350z have an automatic transmission with the option to switch to 'manual mode', and does it work the same as a regular manual (pedal clutch etc.,) or is just a paddle that tells the auto to shift?

Thanks for the information

-FM
Old 07-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Zshazz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All AT Zs have a "manual mode" ... but you just press the stick forward to upshift and backward to downshift, and executes the up/down shift after a brief delay. Its not really a manual mode, but rather a sequential mode.

I would say its more of a gimmick (because it really isn't the same as a REAL stick shift), but it has some uses. For example, if you need to pass someone, you can downshift a couple of times for torque multiplication ... makes it easier when you have to find an opening to pass him, rather than hitting the gas when it's free and having to wait half a second for the car to automatically downshift.
The following users liked this post:
PiscesTv (02-10-2020)
Old 07-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by freemist
Which 350z have an automatic transmission with the option to switch to 'manual mode', and does it work the same as a regular manual (pedal clutch etc.,) or is just a paddle that tells the auto to shift?

Thanks for the information

-FM
in the Z, the auto is an auto, not even close to a standard manual tranny. It is all gimmick
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM
JMS71585

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the A/T and its not really that close to manual. Obviously there is not clutch and when you do "shift" to a new gear, there is a half second delay. Its not as fun as driving a 6MT Z, but its def more fun than driving it "true automatic"
Old 07-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Z MANIA
psychedelic one

Oh please. Is this thread for real?
Old 07-27-2007, 04:23 PM
dstheman

To be honest with you all...i race my Z a lot and i have found that the manuel Z's are suppose to be faster of course BUT no one can seem to master shifting them so i beat them everytime! raced at california Speedway, Perris Track, and everywhere...pretty much its what u want more then performance because i know first hand that the Tiptronic Works just as good
Old 07-27-2007, 08:04 PM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dstheman
To be honest with you all...i know first hand that the Tiptronic Works just as good

Last edited by jonnylaw; 07-27-2007 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:22 PM
Faboo

It has its uses..not advantages just uses....it will hold a gear until the revs get too low...so when u want to go canyon carving it will keep it in 2nd or 3rd until u want to change gears
Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zshazz
rather than hitting the gas when it's free and having to wait half a second for the car to automatically downshift.
Hmm, the whole manual v tiptronic again. Sigh.

Okay, I've driven 16 x 350's, both manual and tiptronic. Personally I have never had a problem quickly, putting the boot in and getting immediate response in a AT to pass. As long as it's a well tuned one there should be no hesitation. Like anything only as good as the reaction time of the driver.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:54 PM
BRONZEE
Club Moderator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Really it comes down to personal preference. Both types have their good and ba points.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:22 AM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by Z MANIA
Oh please. Is this thread for real?
I'm thinking the same thing... yup it's a gimmic

Can't remember the last MT (N/A) G or Z that beat me on the track... hmmm

Oh now I know... NEVER!
Old 07-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Vader007

Yeah, I get the same thing, funny, I never miss third!
Old 07-28-2007, 04:00 AM
Z04

Originally Posted by Zivman
in the Z, the auto is an auto, not even close to a standard manual tranny. It is all gimmick

yet i have not heard any problems coming from the AT trans. where the 6MT has had everything from gear problems to total failure. so in this case it seems the 5AT in the Z is more reliable than the 6MT (unless you like having grinding gears and replacing a faulty trans). just do a search on here and read about all the probems the 6MT has. yeah it is fun to drive a manual, but not in this case
Old 07-28-2007, 04:31 AM
Black Duck

Originally Posted by Zivman
Rubbish!

I have auto but I'm always in tiptronic mode. The shift is quick enough. Plus, as Z04 says, the AT is more reliable.

You will have just as much fun with the AT.

Do a search because this topic has been exhausted! You will find out that all the manual people think they are sebastian loeb and hate on the AT drivers.

I will say this......I grew up in a country where 90% of the vehicles are stick shift. I started driving stick when I was 13/14 and carried on until I left England. When I bought the Z I apprehensively went with the AT so the Mrs could drive the car as well. I have absolutely no problems with it, because there is the tiptronic so I can still "shift". It is just as much fun and less of a pain when I'm sat in traffic.

Last edited by Black Duck; 07-28-2007 at 04:36 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:12 AM
Suvlaki

The new Zs come with a CVT with super manual mode. It's really revolutionary technology because when the driver puts on a special helmit, he is able to shift just by thinking.

Oh, and the AT Zs have a third rear wheel for better traction. 6MTs are a waste of money.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 AM
freemist

I wasn't trying to debate AT vs. manual. I'm just looking at purchasing an AT 350z and I know the vortechs have had issues with upshifting if your in 'normal drive' with an AT.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Black Duck

Buy one....you'll be happy with it.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:13 AM
Zshazz

Originally Posted by BRONZEE
Hmm, the whole manual v tiptronic again. Sigh.

Okay, I've driven 16 x 350's, both manual and tiptronic. Personally I have never had a problem quickly, putting the boot in and getting immediate response in a AT to pass. As long as it's a well tuned one there should be no hesitation. Like anything only as good as the reaction time of the driver.
Um... this confuses me. It sounds like you read me saying "Manuals are better because autos take a second to downshift" but I actually said "the manual mode of the AT is useful because it allows you to downshift before trying to pass someone so you don't have to wait that half-a-second for the auto to automatically downshift"

Am I correct?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Black Duck

You don't need a "well tuned" AT. It has little hesistation in stock form.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:29 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GG_VQ
I'm thinking the same thing... yup it's a gimmic

Can't remember the last MT (N/A) G or Z that beat me on the track... hmmm

Oh now I know... NEVER!
It's all gimmick because it is no different than a standard auto that allows you to downshift without stopping or the use of the brake. standard autos have the sequence 1-2-3-D and you can upshift just like the slapstick autos on the Z.

I have owned cars with the slapstick and while marginally better than an standard auto, they fall far short of a true manual tranny in terms of control and fun factor. With the Z, the manuals are holding up considerably better than the autos when you start putting power down. I wouldn't call either of the tranny's more reliable than the other, but if you are looking for FI, you basically should have the manual as the autos just won't hold.

You are all free to buy and run whatever you want, but IMHO the true enthusiast chooses the manual.

Quick Reply: Which Z's have AT /w Manual?