Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Base needs LSD

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 06:20 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yes you need stub axles - I'd also do new bearings too, doesn't pay to go in and do the job more than once

the stub axles with the NISMO diff are just OEM ones, so nothing special

What is so bad about the stock diff? Nothing if you are essentially just driving the car normally everyday. For spiritied driving, track days, auto-x, there is absolutely positively 0 comparison between the aftermarket diffs and the stock unit. Bang for the buck, there is no other mod that will make the car so much more enjoyable to drive.
Old 10-02-2007, 12:44 PM
cali Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, Z1! And thanks Nissan for making this soooo difficult!!!
You would think they would just swap out like an old chevy 12 bolt... but Noooooooooooooooo, they had to make unequal length stub axles.... oh well, gotta do what I gotta do....
Old 10-02-2007, 05:00 PM
VitViper

Originally Posted by cali Z
So I definitely need those? and bearings too? or can I use my existing? How much you wanna part with those stubs? Are the ones that come with the Nismo better or the same?
Like Z1 noted, the Nismo ones just OEM ones. I really don't know how much the VLSD stubs cost from Nissan. Probably $100 shipped for both? If that's outrageous cause you find out they only cost like $100 new from Nissan the price is obviously negotiable. lol
Old 10-03-2007, 01:26 PM
n1sm0r

VLSD is absolute garbage. You can find nismo lsd's from West Covina Nissan for under $900 shipped. It's the best mod I'll ever do to my base
Old 10-03-2007, 03:21 PM
cali Z

So should I just get an aftermarket LSD? I figured VLSD is better than open diff.... but now I also gotta get stub axles... $170. for VLSD + ?? for stubs = $$ compared to $$ for other LSD?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:35 AM
rkd350z

Originally Posted by Motormouth
dude, the Base is THE BEST model you can get, be happy about it. if you are planning on lightly or seriously modifying it, it is the best, lightest starting point. No VDC, TCS, thank GOD the newer base models even get the HIDs! (the only reason to get a higher model)
+1 I'm happy with my car and looking for Quify LSD..

how will LSD change my cornering ability?

will you feel more confident during the turn?

because I've never experienced the LSD on a Z, I'm very curious about how it will drive.

and about one wheel on the air and helplessly spinning the **** out of it in the Base.. I think LSD will be better if not worse..

Last edited by rkd350z; 01-16-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:18 AM
labelworkshop75

So the only LSD I could drop into my base dif. Would be the Nismo kit LSD. All others like the Quaife, Cusco, Carbonetics, require the VLSD pumkin that is found in all other models other than the base??????????
Old 01-16-2008, 12:08 PM
ke0ki2k

ive heard good things about the one I'm getting installed the Cusco MZ is a *****. if you wana go Cusco go RS. youre gonna need axle stubs amongst other things. message Adam at Z1 auto, he can help ya out.

Edit: he posted. talk to him. lol

Last edited by ke0ki2k; 01-16-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Originally Posted by labelworkshop75
So the only LSD I could drop into my base dif. Would be the Nismo kit LSD. All others like the Quaife, Cusco, Carbonetics, require the VLSD pumkin that is found in all other models other than the base??????????
No, the Quaife is the only one that you can just drop in. Nismoo, Cusco exc you will need stub axles.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by gsxrjohn
No, the Quaife is the only one that you can just drop in. Nismoo, Cusco exc you will need stub axles.
no, you are wrong

this has already been answered in this thread, as well as in about 50 others
Old 01-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by VitViper
Like Z1 noted, the Nismo ones just OEM ones. I really don't know how much the VLSD stubs cost from Nissan. Probably $100 shipped for both? If that's outrageous cause you find out they only cost like $100 new from Nissan the price is obviously negotiable. lol
They cost alot more than $100....per side, and they don't include bearings

the packages we list on our website for the various LSD's have everything listed for each respective diff to be installed into each respective car
Old 01-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

Sharif just told me yesterday that the Quaife would drop in and didn't need axles?!?

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
For base model, lets do the Quaife....as you won't need extra parts to make it work.

Last edited by Blwn_By_Twins; 01-16-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Sharif is right...but you said its the only one that drops in and that is absolutely not the case

None of the diffs need axles - all manual transmission Z's use the same axles. The output shafts differ is what is different between base models and all other models
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM
Blwn_By_Twins

So I was wrong about the axles, but I was saying "No" too him needing a VLSD pumpkin. Is that correct?
Old 01-20-2008, 06:34 AM
finalfantasy316

Ok so I just want to get this correct. If what I have been reading is correct I will go and buy the quaife right now. Im going to summarize.

First off I have a base 07 z and want a diff really bad.
This not an everyday driver but could be and it is for street use, it might see the track one or two times a year. I do like to take tight turns and I also want something that will hold up really well when they decide to come out with a Twin Turbo Kit

The only downside to this from what I am reading is that it is a helical type but I don’t really see that playing any sort of negative affect on me personally. I haven’t heard anybody say anything else negatively about it besides that and yes I understand it plays a big role.
If im not misunderstanding here either it looks like this will just bolt right up and I don’t have to buy stub axles. Correct? I have also read that the life time warranty sells a lot of people as it should.

So with price not being an issue, is this the right diff for me?

And just as a little side note (question). Is the NISMO Differential cooler something that I should get? Is it worth it and will it bolt up to any diff? Thanks
Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 AM
ke0ki2k

i probably wouldve bought a Quaife if I had the cash. the internals apparently never wear out, just need oil changes.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Z1NONLY

Received 95 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by finalfantasy316
The only downside to this from what I am reading is that it is a helical type but I don’t really see that playing any sort of negative affect on me personally. I haven’t heard anybody say anything else negatively about it besides that and yes I understand it plays a big role.
If im not misunderstanding here either it looks like this will just bolt right up and I don’t have to buy stub axles. Correct? I have also read that the life time warranty sells a lot of people as it should.

So with price not being an issue, is this the right diff for me?

And just as a little side note (question). Is the NISMO Differential cooler something that I should get? Is it worth it and will it bolt up to any diff? Thanks
I went from an open diff to the Quaife on my 05 base. I autocross at least two days a month and can personally vouch for the Quaife's effectiveness.

I can't remember the exact numbers but, IIRC, the Quaife shaved well over a second off of our 40 sec "test & tune" course. The helical design is really a big plus for turns. Having the outside rear tire get most of the power in a turn is almost like four wheel steering. It actually helps the car turn, when you learn to use the throttle with it.

Worth every penny!
Old 01-20-2008, 07:50 AM
finalfantasy316

Ok great. its sounds like its a no brainer to me. i really cant think of a reason why i would or could possibly want to go with something else. thank you very much.

if anbody has any objections please feel free to express yourself. but like i said as far as im concerned this is right for me.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Flee0588

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone who goes from open diff to LSD will certainly praise their LSD. It doesnt matter, any LSD compared to the open diff will seem like it's God in your differential case.

Go with whatever you want. I personally bought my Kaaz on the forum for $450. I paid an extra $20 dollars to get the clutchplates restacked to 60% and I put it in myself with jackstands. So...I paid under $500 for an installed perfectly working diff. I strongly suggest you buy used since there really is no way of fukking up these strong diffs (unless you dont change the oil for a really really long time). I can even send you a DYI on changing the LSD if you want. Because if you think about it, a new diff costs over $1000 plus labor is around $250 if you want them to change the locking as well.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:08 AM
TheProfessional

Quaife is the best option RIGHT NOW, but if you don't mind waiting, you could get the Torvec Iso-Torque differential.

If they ever come out with it...........

Quick Reply: Base needs LSD