Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

6 Free and Cheap ways to add a little more HP

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:15 PM
Nsane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6 Free and Cheap ways to add a little more HP

what up fellas, came across this a few minutes ago and thought it might help out some of the guys that just started learning about mods like me. VETS- pick this apart for us so we know if they work or not. diagrams not included.
the only one i knew was #4-still in the complete idiot stage of engine mods
GAIN 5 HORSEPOWER THIS WEEKEND
For Almost No Money Spent

by Nathan Morris

If you're looking for free & cheap ways to increase the horsepower output of your engine - I've got just the thing for you.

I want to share with you 6 cheap or in some cases, even free ways that you can gain horsepower.

I hope that you will enjoy these 6 awesome modifications for your car, and without further delay - let's get started!

Modification Number One: Index Your Plugs

The next time you are doing a tune-up on your ride, be sure to take note of this modification. By simply installing your plugs in a particular way, you will pick up roughly 1 whp, dyno proven time and time again.

As illustrated above, in order to perform this mod, mark the side on which the "open end" of the spark plug faces. Proceed to install them as you normally would, except when the plug is hand-tight (that is, you've screwed it in without a ratchet as far as it'll go), use your ratchet to tighten the plug until the open end of the plug, faces the intake side of your cylinder head. That's it!

Modification Number Two: Insulate Fuel Lines

Under-hood engine heat is a serious performance robber in almost all cars. Not only does the under-hood heat cause performance loss by heating up the intake air, but it also causes performance loss by heating up the fuel lines. Cooler fuel will help cool the intake charge, as well as provide for a better overall mixture.

In order to get this stolen power back, simply go down to your local hardware store and purchase a roll of refrigerator and air conditioning insulation. Wrap all of your under-hood fuel lines with the insulation to keep the cool in, and the hot out.

Modification Number Three: Relocate IAT Sensor

In most fuel injected vehicles you will find a sensor that measures intake air temperature. You will need to refer to your factory service manual to find its location.

At any rate, it is very typical to find the IAT sensor mounted inside the intake plenum that is very often heated heavily by coolant and the cylinder head. This is fine of course, since the original equipment manufacturer designed it to work this way. However, there is a way to "trick" the engine computer into thinking that the incoming air is a little cooler than it really is, and therefore get the ECU to advance the timing a small amount and increase fuel supply at the same time.

In most mildly modified vehicles, this will create a more desirable fuel and ignition map and create a few extra horsepower.

In order to perform this mod, simply locate the sensor and remove it from the intake manifold. Fill in the hole with JB weld and proceed to remount the sensor somewhere in the intake arm. Seal everything up well, and you're done.

Modification Number Four: Synthetic Oil

In the past 3 years I have been running various types of oils through my engines and have found that for the most part - all oils are the same, power wise. However, Synthetic oils definitely make more power over standard "dino" oils. In fact, I have consistently seen anywhere from 2-3hp across the rev range from using a true synthetic versus a standard oil.

Therefore, next time you change oils, switch to synthetic. Even on a high mileage engine, it works wonders. It is also a far better lubricant and protector of your engine.

Modification Number Five: Increase H2O Ratio In Coolant

If it weren't for corrosion and freezing concerns, automotive makers would use pure water to cool your vehicle. Straight water cools better than coolant any day of the week, and a cooler engine is always going to produce more horsepower.

Instead of a typical half and half ratio, try 40/60. However, NEVER use pure water, as this may cause premature corrosion which will cause a costly repair bill. You may also try water wetter to further enhance the effect, but be cautioned that water wetter should only be used for track purposes.

Modification Number Six: Throttle Body Coolant Bypass

This one I saved for last, and for good reason. This is perhaps one of the best modifications that you can do for basically nothing. As you'll see in the dyno below, which is of my Integra LS motor in a 92 Civic hatchback, before and after: I got back almost 10ft-lbs of torque over the entire rev range. 10ft-lbs that was present in the engine when completely cool, but once at operating temperature was no longer available. This is good for about 0.2 seconds in the quarter mile in my particular vehicle - needless to say I'm very pleased with this modification.

Above you see a diagram of how coolant normally flows through a throttle body (illustration is from an Accord). All you need to do on any vehicle is to take those two coolant lines, disconnect them from the throttle body and connect them with a coupler available in the vacuum hose section of your auto parts store. It's basically two nipples connected to each other that allow you to connect two pieces of coolant hose.

If you have problems with erratic idle afterwards. You will need to find your fast idle (or idle air control valve), and disable it by blocking it off or somehow keeping it closed. This occurs mostly in Hondas to my knowledge, and it's pretty hard to explain in a "universal" manor.

Want more low-buck modifications like these? Check out The Definitive Guide to Low-Buck Performance

Gain 5 Horsepower This Weekend, Free Mods for your Nissan 350Z, Cheap Horsepower
© 2004-2006 by Mad Science Industries. All Rights Reserved. Duplication Requires Authors Permision

Welcome to Free & Cheap Mods for Your 350Z
Old 09-02-2007, 07:19 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could use a Cypher and advance your timing for sure also.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:46 PM
RichinAz

I would like to clarify a few things.
1.) Indexing your spark plugs does work if you have the older style side electrodes on your plugs I'm not sure if the Z does or not and you have to figure out what position to index them too. Or you could loose horse power at the wrong index postion.
2.) Wrapping your fuel lines might give you a little more power but not sure how much.
3.)Moving your IAT sensor does work well, they do that on all the aftermarket air intake systems. But I wouldn't use JB weld to plug the hole it tends to crack and come off. Use a tap and buy a plug to fill it.
4.) Synthetic oils reduce friction some, but not sure it would show up with a 2-3 hp gain I've used mobile one for many years and it is a superior motor oil. I think you gain as much with lighter oils such as 20w versus 50w. I use it in turbo motors so the oil doesn't coke up.
5.) More H2O mixed in with the antifreeze. Water is a much more efficient thermal conductor I'm not so sure I'd try it though because of corrosion
6.)Throttle Body Coolant Bypass I'm afraid once the intake system is up to operating temperature taking the coolant away might cause the throttle body to get hotter than it would have been. You would have to do some temperature readings to really know for sure.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Archbishop
Banned

Originally Posted by RichinAz
6.)Throttle Body Coolant Bypass I'm afraid once the intake system is up to operating temperature taking the coolant away might cause the throttle body to get hotter than it would have been. You would have to do some temperature readings to really know for sure.
No.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:48 PM
Motormouth
Banned

2) I agree, it would be minimal!
4) this one is a joke!
6) this is available from motordyne as part of thier kit. it is effective.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Archbishop
Banned

Originally Posted by Motormouth
2) I agree, it would be minimal!
4) this one is a joke!
I think I saw a test were they changed to full sythetic royal Purple, and actually gained a few hp...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:55 PM
Motormouth
Banned

yeah, everyone says you can gain HP with royal purple, yet any analyses I have seen show it to be an inferior 'synthetic' oil.

remember as well, simply cooling a car off more can net 3-5hp on a dyno, not to mention icing the plenum, etc... I don't trust it!
Old 09-02-2007, 07:56 PM
HDPDZO6

With naturally occurring variances, I'm really curious how the OP can make the claim of a "dyno proven" 1 rwhp gain. I say it's impossible, considering error percentages.

Plus, on a civic, 5rwhp might actually make a difference in life. It really isn't going to do squat on a 350Z.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:30 PM
RichinAz

Motormouth would you have any specs on the motordyne conversion you could post? And is it available for the 07 Z?
Old 09-02-2007, 08:54 PM
Motormouth
Banned

I have it installed

and it's on thier website. basically there are two.

1 - is a throttle body copper spacer that has a coolant tube built in that reroutes it from flowing through the plenum to just this peice and back to the engine

2 - a valve in the line that you can turn on/off to allow coolant to flow.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 PM
RichinAz

Thanks MotorMouth I'll be checking it out. I keep telling myself I'm not going to go nuts on this car 07 ZR but you guys sure may it hard. My first plan was no mods now its tires and wheels intake and exhaust sytem brakes and wheel spacers. And now I must keep telling myself no FI no FI cuz if I do the motor has to come out and drop the compression life starts at around 20psi boost
Old 09-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Motormouth

yeah, at making them money
Old 09-02-2007, 09:26 PM
RichinAz

Z04 I take it you don't like the motordyne kit or is it just too expensive for the return?
Old 09-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Z04

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichinAz
Z04 I take it you don't like the motordyne kit or is it just too expensive for the return?

no, it was a joke. hence the at the end. and to answer the other question for you, no mod like that exists for the 07 so you got nothing to worry about
Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 PM
RichinAz

Thanks Z04 I'm alot better off with less being available for the 07's. If I don't know about the upgrades I don't want them. I've been looking for rims for about two months and still haven't found exactly what I want. I found some MOMO rims I kinda like 19x10.5 rear and 19x9.5 front but they are really pricey and I'm not sure if they weigh more than the Volks. And so far it looks like Yokohamas are my best bet for tires.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:13 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Question

Did you do these mods for your 350Z? Photos please.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:18 AM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by davidv
Did you do these mods for your 350Z? Photos please.
+1 i wanna laugh
Old 09-03-2007, 03:39 PM
Billhyco

that is a BUTT LOAD of stuff to do for only 5hp. Who is really going to literally feel a 5hp gain??? I was raised in a garage and bleed motor oil and I don't believe I would ever feel 5hp.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:40 PM
jonahlw

turbonator + nos
Old 09-03-2007, 05:16 PM
bandoon122

lol

Quick Reply: 6 Free and Cheap ways to add a little more HP