Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Pop Pop Noise at idle. Knocking?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 10:02 AM
jolt3500

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Pop Pop Noise at idle. Knocking?!

So ever since I have purchased my 05 touring Z with 6500 miles on it I have heard this Pop Pop noise at engine idle. Almost like its knocking. You can also hear it if you listen through the tail pipes. It occurs around every 5-10 sec possibily. But then sometimes I don't hear it at all. Pretty much ONLY when the engine is warm.

Its so annoying and every person that hears it say wtf was that. I took it to the dealer and they scanned it and said everything was fine. Then they reset it to "re-learn" I guess, but still same problem. He said that I could take any Z I wanted for a test drive and once it was warmed up it would make the same sound. I dont believe it.

I have found a few threads on this before but now I cant seem to locate them. They said try cleaning the throddle body. Doesn't sound valid but did it anyways because I am tired of this sound!!

Next step is to change out the spark plugs. I have 17,000 miles on it now and its been 4 months lol.

But seriously someone Please help me on this ASAP!!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:08 AM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through this a couple of days ago with my Z. I washed my car but forgot that I had took off the passenger side lower trim piece that goes around the bottom of the windshield, and water got all inside the battery/fuse box area. When I started it up, it barely ran, had multiple CEL's, and a weird popping noise coming from the engine. The noise sounded like someone was tapping on my air intake tube from the inside.

I solved it by letting it sit overnight with the hood up, and battery and ECU harness disconnected. The next day, I hooked everything back up, cleared the CEL's with my code scanner, and it started right up and has ran fine ever since. Scared the bejebus out of me though!
Old 09-09-2007, 10:14 AM
jolt3500

Hmm. Idk it thats the problem, but I hope so. This has been happening ever since I bought the car 4 months ago. And I the dealership scan it and clear it to re learn as he called it. I never had a check engine light and he said there where no codes or problems of any sort when he scanned it. Im so lost. I have seen a big thread on this here but I cant seem to find it. But as I remember on that post they still didnt come up with a fix. Now what??!!
Old 09-10-2007, 10:27 PM
HitLines

Can you get a video with some sound of the noise? It would help diagnose the knocking sound.