Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

*My JWT CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL INSTALL **PICS**

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 10:48 AM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default *My JWT CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL INSTALL **PICS**

So, this second time around, i went with the same JWT clutch/flywheel kit. I've always done clutches on FWD but i figure i'd try to do a RWD since you don't have to mess with the suspension/axles and working in the engine bay. I thought it was going to be easier but it was basically the same and have it fair shares of headaches as well.

I read the DIY install guide and i really don't know how some of you guys did it on jack stands. This was a PAIN doing it on my lift and i can't imagine doing it on my back. I had every tool imaginable besides the pilot bearing pully remover which i rented.

Here is a list of problems you might run into doing this yourself :

*Removing pilot bearing
*taking tranny out
*putting tranny back on right..it was a bit*h, it really was.
*taking out the top tranny bolts, i had to use long extentions, almost impossible if you are on jackstands. These bolts were on tight.
*make sure you lube all the proper parts that needs to be
*when putting the tranny back on, it wont' go in all the way. Dont' hammer or bang it in. use a socket to turn the crank bolt to see if the driveshaft moves before you try to push it all the way in. Make sure the car is in gear.
*align the flywheel right or you will get a check engine light and have to do the whole install over.

I really advise the people who are thinking of doing this yourself to just pay a shop to do it. I put over 18 hours on this doing it by myself, my best friend helped me with uninstall and putting the tranny back on. This was also on my personal lift and it wasn't a walk in the park. I also took my time and didn't scratch up anything even under my car because i'm that picky which is a big reason why i took so long.

If you are doing it on jackstand, please just forget about it. You will need a lot of tools including air tools. The flywheel bolts need a good, strong gun to break off. You will get scrapes and bruises, you will have headaches and frustrations. You will def run into some type of problem if this is your first time. If you haven't done this stuff or mechanically inclined, please don't attempt. You will scare yourself with how much parts will be lying around (parts, nuts and bolts). This is somethign you dont' want to get half way there and go back because once the tranny is off, no turning back. You have to get that thing back on the right way.

I thought RWD was going to be a bit more easy but it's the same procedure as FWD, just in a diff manner. One thing i liked about doing RWD is you wont' scratch up anythign in the engine bay or front bumper and fenders reaching over it. Strictly working from underneath the car.

Here are some of the pics. Sorry about the lighting in my shop. It's like bright flouresent yellow or something.

Product:

install:

Sorry i don't have pics of the car fully apart. I don't want to scare some of you guys. Installation went perfect though, i bought nice lithium grease, nice tranny fluid, rebled the whole system with good fluid.

Review: Great clutch, great flywheel. I couldn't go with anything else. i love this thing. Main reason is that is so user friendly. One thing i dislike is that i love how my stock clutch pedal was so stiff, the JWT is so soft, kinda loses that sporty feel when i test drove the porsche 911. The pedal is so soft where it doesn't push back at your feet like how 2003 z's do. Chatter is not as bad as people say it is. Def does not sound broken. Out of the ordinary sound, yes, broken, no. Revs faster. Clutch is really strong right now to it being new. I can let out the clutch with no gas and it will catch and go on its own.

Would i do this for someone for money, hell no. LOL, that's the truth.

I will have bigger hp stuff coming up so i thought i'd get ready for it.

Enjoy and good luck if you choose this clutch/flywheel combo.

Last edited by SuperBlack350z; 09-15-2007 at 12:18 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Matt at PF
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is the tranny strapped to the engine hoist?
Old 09-15-2007, 12:01 PM
tranceformer95

I hate threads like these, makes me want to get the lightweight flywheel with clutch combo. Great work, and nice write up.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:10 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Matt at PF
is the tranny strapped to the engine hoist?

There is a piece of thick board that is bolted on really good on one of my extra engine hoists. We use that hoist when working inside of the tranny. I had a different tranny jack to get the tranny down though. I put a strap around it because i left my car there over night for a couple of nights and wanted to make sure that it didn't fall off accidently or anything of that matter.

Originally Posted by tranceformer95
I hate threads like these, makes me want to get the lightweight flywheel with clutch combo. Great work, and nice write up.
lol, thanks. You really need to get one. It's up there in my fav mods. I like how it's good with stock engine, bolt ons, and FI(soon enough). I really missed a lot of extra info but i don't know if anyone really wanted to read my long thread
Old 09-15-2007, 12:21 PM
ssnake86

How much hp to the wheels does the JWT flywheel usually free up?
Old 09-15-2007, 12:25 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by ssnake86
How much hp to the wheels does the JWT flywheel usually free up?
not sure, not that much. I can definately tell you that the car feels lighter with it though and you can rip through the gears fast oppose to the stock clutch/flywheel. Also, the clutch grabs harder which makes the car feel faster but i doubt there is a huge difference.

I bought this combo more because it can hold more torque capacity i will be needing later down the road.
Old 09-15-2007, 10:16 PM
SuperBlack350z

I let a friend drive my car tonight and me standing outside. You can't even hear the chatter. its mostly inside the car so that's a plus. I'm going to make a video of pretty soon. Trying to let it break in a bit more until i take it hard.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great write up!
Old 09-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Twan79

How different was the install to a mustang? The person I am getting to help with my clutch install has done alot on mustangs.
Old 09-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Twan79
How different was the install to a mustang? The person I am getting to help with my clutch install has done alot on mustangs.
I have seen first timers spend 10+ hours installing clutches. I have a mechanic friend of mine that helps me with my car whip out a clutch replacement on the Z in about 2.5 hrs.

IMHO, there isn't too much too it, just need the right tools
Old 09-29-2007, 06:37 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*align the flywheel right or you will get a check engine light and have to do the whole install over.
Thats all that happens is a check engine light?
Old 09-29-2007, 06:50 PM
bacalhau16

I cant believe you have a lift, and you still feel the install is so difficult. I have done numerous clutches on jackstands, both front and RWD cars, and they are really not that hard. Its just a long process.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Twan79

Is there any adjustments that is needed to be done to the clutch besides just aligning the fly wheel
Old 09-29-2007, 11:22 PM
SuperBlack350z

well, to me, i go by FWD, RWD, AWD. Most vehicles use the same steps but some are easier, and some are harder. For example. Clutch job on a 99 FWD corolla is easy because of a lot of engine room. Clutch job on a 97-99 FWD eclipse turbo 4g63t, engine space is very limited which makes you have to take out most of the stuff up on the engein out to even get to the tranny and tranny bolts.

So if your friend have done it on a mustang, the z shouldn't be that diff. Couple of advices. Once the clutch slave cylinder is out, dont' depress the clutch or you will have to bleed teh clutch system completely.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:29 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by bacalhau16
I cant believe you have a lift, and you still feel the install is so difficult. I have done numerous clutches on jackstands, both front and RWD cars, and they are really not that hard. Its just a long process.
I wouldn't say hard..i would say frustating at times. If you have no patience and you have a certain time limit because you need the car for work or something, frustration will build up especially if you have a time limit. Problems can occur anytime.

I had all the tools in the world besides teh pilot bearing puller. The steps are long and basically, the more you do clutches, the faster it usually goes. I tried to take my time, not mess up any fragile parts, make sure i lube correctly, make sure every bolt is torqued...just everything had to be right or you will be doign the whole thing over once you start the car and find out something is wrong.

There are a lot of problems that can occur. Not aligning the flywheel correctly. Not torquing the flywheel and pressure plate bolts. Not greasing up the throw out bearing and will cause excessive noise and premature failure. Not tightening the drive shaft bolts enough because a lot of tq is transfered there..just a bunch of things. You will learn tricks or easier ways of doign certain steps if you are actually under there.

About the lift, yes, i really would never attempt it on jack stands. Like oyu said, it can take moer than 10 hours doing this..upwards to a coupel of days with each day having about 8 hours even. You can pay a shop to do it for 250-350 dollars and save yourself a headache and have a warranty if anything messes up. If you think you are capable, go right ahead, but if you have problems installing smaller engine mods on the car, i wouldn't even touch it.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:32 PM
SuperBlack350z

Is there any adjustments that is needed to be done to the clutch besides just aligning the fly wheel
well, not sure about your question, you do have to make sure you torque the pressure plate to specs from nissan. It's a two step deal with the bolts. Also, add soem red loctite to the flywheel bolts. you don't want teh flywheel to come off. that woudl be bad. ALso, when torquing down the flywheel bolts, if you dont' have any type of loctite(lube), you can easily break the bolt. My JWT flywheel had to be bolted down to 92 ft lbs. That's a lot of a small bolt like that.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What would happen other than a CEL if the flywheel wasn't aligned? would the car even run?

I was able to install my transmission on jackstands in about 5 hours but I have done it a number of times.
Old 09-30-2007, 04:50 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

18 hours for install? rofl, now you're ready for a header install.
Old 09-30-2007, 07:40 PM
SuperBlack350z

Originally Posted by Nexx
18 hours for install? rofl, now you're ready for a header install.
actually, that's easy. I've done both headers on the z in 4 hours. Just need long extentions.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:16 AM
kupogrey

my god

i helped my dad when we replaced my clutch on jack stands in our garage, NEVER AGAIN.

It was so grueling getting the transmission to line up perfectly without having a engine hoist. I literally remembering holding up much of the transmission weight for periods trying to align it to go in.

oh and my dad is close to retired mechanic so I was utterly amazed on how many bolts were off and then every bolt he magically knew where it went.

Quick Reply: *My JWT CLUTCH/FLYWHEEL INSTALL **PICS**