Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

HELP! Rear end issues, pinion bearing!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007 | 11:40 AM
Axelerate

Default HELP! Rear end issues, pinion bearing!

Yesterday I noticed a LOUD metallic rubbing sound coming from the rear of the car. Almost sounds like something rubbing on a rotor. I took both breaks apart found nothing. I then assumed it was a wheel bearing and drop it off at my usual dealer last night.

I stop by today and they tell me I am getting a new rear end and that the problem is not the wheel bearings. Normally that would be great, but I have a Cusco RS LSD in there and I dont want to loose it!

I then talked to the tech working on my car and he "thinks" it's a pinion bearing because the drive shaft has alot of play in it. He also says the gears might need to be replaced since they could be damaged. I told them to tear it apart and fix it. Then the foreman refused to work on my car becuase of the aftermarket LSD.

I've contacted another dealer and explained everything to them and they assured me they will work on it, but they will need to take it apart to diagnose it. Fine with me!

Now, I do track my car and normally this wouldnt be a big deal, but I am instructing this weekend and need the car!

So, I wanted to ask those who have done rear end work what they think of this diagnosis and if they feel the gears will be damaged. The diff has NOT been drained yet. I seriously just found all of this out!

thanks for any help!
Old 10-08-2007 | 11:59 AM
Billhyco

that is kind of an open ended question. until the bearing is removed or atleast able to inspect it...to hard to tell if there will be any metal floating around in the pig. if its just a noisey bearing and no metal then i don't see why it would need gears. but i'm not a tech either.

was it low on fluid?

good luck

Last edited by Billhyco; 10-08-2007 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-08-2007 | 12:03 PM
Axelerate

Yeah, I'm hoping they were BSing me with that part.

I called my freind that installed the LSD, and he said that gear damage is possible, but I have only put maybe 20 miles on it since I heard the sound, so he doubts it. I would take it to him, but he is booked up all week.

Also, I change the diff fluid before every track event. I do take care of it!

It hasnt leaked any fluid and I just changed it a couple of weeks ago, so I'm not sure if it low, but I doubt it. I dont have the car now, it's still at the dealer. I have to pick it up tonight and take it to the dealer that will work on it.

Last edited by Axelerate; 10-08-2007 at 12:06 PM.
Old 10-08-2007 | 03:30 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat
Premier Member

If a pinion bearing has gone bad... and the play is enough to notice it by wiggling the driveshaft... I'd say that it is highly likely that the gears are not in great shape.

The gears might not be broken, but I'll bet they at least cracked pretty bad or worn heavily. Sorry... Unless it turns out to be something else, I'd probably put a new set of gears in.