Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Stroked Out

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 04:53 PM
deisel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not really shocked just wondering what went wrong thats all. Its a big blower thats for sure build will soon begin let you guys know how it goes thanks for knowledge people
Old 10-14-2007, 04:55 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well we're all going to be interested in seeing what you come up with deisel.

Ignore the naysayers who don't think you should get a stroker kit. A stroker kit will benefit everyone with every setup if they're willing to spend the extra cash - it's a classic performance mod. Are you doing headwork too? Are you going thinking you'll go for a 3.8 or sleeved 4.2 kit?
Old 10-14-2007, 05:08 PM
deisel

headwork of course and more boost headers and meth injection dont know on displacement . wait and see
Old 10-14-2007, 05:21 PM
LaoSiFu

Originally Posted by deisel
yes that was me at willow in early laps key word (early laps) The car seemed faster but got no details I was told to bring car back for street tune and when i got there they said it was completed. next time i will build this thing better and faster no doubt about it. laosifu what car where you out here. 60,000 miles is not even its first serious tune up. engines have been built for at least 85 yrs motors are not old at 60k now a days.
I was driving the SS Nismo ver 1. with the CF hatch.

~Robert
Old 10-14-2007, 05:21 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

deisel, i feel for you but this unfortunate event is not uncommon with the stock rods in the DE engine, as has been pointed out. I know there are those that say that "it's all in the tune". Yes, a good tune can help minimize stress on the engine but it's just not practical to think it can prevent metal fatigue entirely. And taking the car to the track puts the rods under continuous high rpm stress. In all likelihood, the rods were fatigued already - it was just a matter of time. In fact for every engine out there, stock or built, it's JUST a matter of time. Stress will cause failure, eventually...

I know based on the series of events that occurred it's hard not to at least consider faulting the tune, but I wouldn't doubt Sam or GTM for a second. It's not your fault either. It's just the way it is. Have GTM build it back for you stronger than ever - good luck and looking forward to seeing a Vortech beast here in the near future!
Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure if I'd pick the 3.8 or 4.2 either. Pros and cons

the 3.8 will be cheaper and run cooler and have the ability to rev higher which may or may not turn out to be useful with a vortech setup. I suppose at the very least if you ever were to miss a shift and shift into a lower gear instead of the next higher gear, that it'd have slightly more safety margin with handling the extreme revs, but it probably won't really matter anyway

The 4.2 will gain more overall torque, but cost more and heat up the coolant more because of the sleeves. Also from what I understand, with bigger bored stroker kits, you're not able to run quite as much timing from something having to do with the flame front surface area being bigger.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by sentry65
I'm saying that you can't control boost with a tune. All you can do is control timing and A/F. Deisel knew what he was doing when he wanted a 2.87 pulley with a T-trim on a stock block that already had 64k miles of wear on it.

64k miles would probably have ran just fine on the street. But at 13 psi and then tracking it without all the extra safety stuff that he could have ran etc, it's sad but is anyone really shocked it blew?

it was a risk and it just didn't turn out so well this time. Because of it, we have a better idea of what the stock block will and won't do
+1 just checking
Old 10-14-2007, 08:09 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by deisel
yes that was me at willow in early laps key word (early laps) The car seemed faster but got no details I was told to bring car back for street tune and when i got there they said it was completed. next time i will build this thing better and faster no doubt about it. laosifu what car where you out here. 60,000 miles is not even its first serious tune up. engines have been built for at least 85 yrs motors are not old at 60k now a days.
stock on the street i agree,turbo on the track that's an old man on life support.go bc 3.8 you will never miss the squirters,it allows priority oiling and helps with windage.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by go-fast
stock on the street i agree,turbo on the track that's an old man on life support.go bc 3.8 you will never miss the squirters,it allows priority oiling and helps with windage.
On both our stroker kits the 4.2L and 3.8L we do not remove the oil squirters, infact with our stroker kits oiling is further enhanced by the high speed oiling system incorporated into our stroker crankshafts (more info here: https://my350z.com/forum/product-announcements/280423-gt-motorsports-hi-rev-3-8l-stroker-kit-upgrade.html)

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 10-15-2007, 08:02 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by George@GTM
On both our stroker kits the 4.2L and 3.8L we do not remove the oil squirters, infact with our stroker kits oiling is further enhanced by the high speed oiling system incorporated into our stroker crankshafts (more info here: https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280423)

-George
GT Motorsports
thats a nice crank,but you should close up those squirters anyway.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Someguy350

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast
thats a nice crank,but you should close up those squirters anyway.
why would you close the squirters?? they are proven method of longevity on engines. if your oil pump is sized accordingly, you wont run out of oil pressure, if that is your concern.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:26 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Someguy350
why would you close the squirters?? they are proven method of longevity on engines. if your oil pump is sized accordingly, you wont run out of oil pressure, if that is your concern.
all that oil dropping on the crank creates windage and robs power.it's like an anti rpm device.vq oil pumps are well designed but the system can be improved by using the oil to to feed the rods and mains instead of throwing it in the way of the crank.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:37 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

everyone stresses about some pretty weird things. Plenty of engines don't have oil squirters, and machinists have MANY ways to supplement for oil squirters when they require removal (as many stroker motors of all types call for). It's really not that big of a deal if you're engine is being built by the right type of place. What gofast describes (an oil through rod design) is one such way, and there are many others.

When you get into a build this sophisticated, there are lots of little things you can do to improve the way the internals interact with the oil in terms of producing reliability and also producing power.

Now, I am not equipped to say if the factory squirters present a benefit or problem for the above strokers - I am not knowledgeable enough to make that assesment. But I do know that losing the squirters in and of itself really should not be problematic at all, again, provided the right machine shop is doing the engine build in the first place
Old 10-17-2007, 07:34 PM
Someguy350

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
everyone stresses about some pretty weird things. Plenty of engines don't have oil squirters, and machinists have MANY ways to supplement for oil squirters when they require removal (as many stroker motors of all types call for). It's really not that big of a deal if you're engine is being built by the right type of place. What gofast describes (an oil through rod design) is one such way, and there are many others.

When you get into a build this sophisticated, there are lots of little things you can do to improve the way the internals interact with the oil in terms of producing reliability and also producing power.

Now, I am not equipped to say if the factory squirters present a benefit or problem for the above strokers - I am not knowledgeable enough to make that assesment. But I do know that losing the squirters in and of itself really should not be problematic at all, again, provided the right machine shop is doing the engine build in the first place
i suppose it is all debateable. but i know on the supra engines. the normal turbo engine lasts much longer than the ones that are NA-T. and the only real difference is the oil squirters.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 PM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by Someguy350
i suppose it is all debateable. but i know on the supra engines. the normal turbo engine lasts much longer than the ones that are NA-T. and the only real difference is the oil squirters.
how much longer did they last?
Old 10-19-2007, 03:48 PM
deisel

look just leave engine building to engine builders and let them have the say in what works there the ones doing it for a living. GTM will be doing my build they just dont know it yet .lol projected time will be 6 months from start to finish with some suspension and chassis stiffening welds and goodies.