Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery
View Poll Results: What is the Lightest Aftermarket Flywheel?
JWT Flywheel
58.90%
NISMO Lightened Flywheel
4.11%
RPS CYN-R-G Billet Flywheel
12.33%
Stillen Aluminum Flywheel
2.74%
Unorthodox Aluminum Flywheel
21.92%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Lightest Aftermarket Flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 11:38 PM
bbs350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tilton flywheel. 8 pounds.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 AM
Mamounas123

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are lightweight flywheels good for the track. I go to the track a good number of times. But will an aluminum flywheel hold up on the abuse when im heating up the tires? Im getting lightweight wheels for my z and also think of doing a flywheel also. Is the performance noticable with lighwieight wheels and flywheel?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:48 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes and yes. Just make sure to upgrade your clutch while ur at it. Organics are good for the street but ceramettalics are near indestructible, but are trannys aren't.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:47 AM
rbfd

On my light bolt on Z my tilton NEVER stalled! Stock idle and all, its actually easyer for the engine to maintain idle in my opinion, the whole car just felt relieved.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM
davidc81

i have the jwt flywheel/clutch and love it. the clutch pedal is a significantly lighter and i kinda like the way the flywheel sounds. mechanical sound, but definitely does not sound broken.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:21 AM
bbs350z

a heavier flywheel will give you more torque, but a lightr flywheel will make the engine rev faster, and easier.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:32 PM
toy4two

what does the stock flywheel weigh?
Old 10-22-2007, 07:23 PM
rbfd

The flywheel has no affect on how much torque the car generates, if anything, when I had my tilton my car got worse traction low down due to MORE torque from less drivetrain loss, but thats still a shot in the dark. A heavyer flywheel may have more intertia when spinning there for might be better for a good launch, but wont affect your rear wheel torque.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:29 AM
jonnylaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toy4two
what does the stock flywheel weigh?
at least 28 lbs if not more.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:58 PM
jdepe

can someone pm me where i can get the tilton flywheel? thanks
Old 01-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Gthang

i lighter flywheel isnt always better. you free up horsepower because you take weight of the engine. but you also lose torque because you dont have the inhertia on the flywheel anymore. its like rolling a steel ball and a aluminum ball. you throw both the same speed, how far will each go? the steel will roll farther because of the weight behind it.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

most people who install the tilton super light flywheel.... don't really like it

I'd go with something more intermediate.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:06 PM
rbfd

Originally Posted by Gthang
i lighter flywheel isnt always better. you free up horsepower because you take weight of the engine. but you also lose torque because you dont have the inhertia on the flywheel anymore. its like rolling a steel ball and a aluminum ball. you throw both the same speed, how far will each go? the steel will roll farther because of the weight behind it.
You dont lose torque , you lose inertia which may hurt your launch. The car is definately harder to drive and has a much more involved experience. I loved it in my first Z and will probably go with the same set up in my new Z.

Nick
Old 01-15-2008, 07:28 PM
vegaseric

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
most people who install the tilton super light flywheel.... don't really like it

I'd go with something more intermediate.
+1

I went with an ACT Streetlite/Exedy Stage 1 combination and I couldn't be happier. You get a little cement mixer-type rattle at idle and it's slightly harder to launch, but I love the way it revs now. I couldn't imagine an 8lb flywheel (half the weight of my Streetlite) in a DD.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Gthang

Originally Posted by rbfd
You dont lose torque , you lose inertia which may hurt your launch. The car is definately harder to drive and has a much more involved experience. I loved it in my first Z and will probably go with the same set up in my new Z.

Nick
u do lose torque at the wheels. you dont have as much inertia, as u stated.
i love my jwt setup..but i wouldnt go any lighter. a heavier rotating mass has more torque on it, inertia..

Last edited by Gthang; 01-16-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 AM
Reality350

What about the Clutchmasters flyhweel?
IIRC, its 10.5 lbs
Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 AM
rbfd

Originally Posted by Gthang
u do lose torque at the wheels. you dont have as much inertia, as u stated.
i love my jwt setup..but i wouldnt go any lighter. a heavier rotating mass has more torque on it, inertia..
Once your flywheel has contact with your clutch inertia plays NO ROLE in anything other than slowing your engine speed off throttle. It does not affect your torque unless you are revving the engine and dropping the clutch then it can affect the amount of inertia that the flywheel comes in contact with your clutch at and such cause you to either burn out, or stall out depending on how you do it. Dont confuse people with your ideals because they are wrong.

Nick
Old 01-16-2008, 07:46 AM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rbfd
Once your flywheel has contact with your clutch inertia plays NO ROLE in anything other than slowing your engine speed off throttle. It does not affect your torque unless you are revving the engine and dropping the clutch then it can affect the amount of inertia that the flywheel comes in contact with your clutch at and such cause you to either burn out, or stall out depending on how you do it. Dont confuse people with your ideals because they are wrong.

Nick
Iam in need for a clutch/flywheel.. and im stuck between the JWT and tilton. Since you have more experience with the tilton...Do you recomend it? is it that hard to drive over stock?.. Iam staying NA for now.. and I love the way the tilton revs.. but at the same time I dotn want it to loose performance somewhere else... like some people have said that it looses tq?

thnx a lot man
Old 01-16-2008, 08:45 AM
Reality350

Originally Posted by ZthirtyThr33
Iam in need for a clutch/flywheel.. and im stuck between the JWT and tilton. Since you have more experience with the tilton...Do you recomend it? is it that hard to drive over stock?.. Iam staying NA for now.. and I love the way the tilton revs.. but at the same time I dotn want it to loose performance somewhere else... like some people have said that it looses tq?

thnx a lot man
I was considering the Titon street setup.. After speaking with a few ppl who had it, I changed my mind.

The general consensus was that it was not suitable for DD, and would take some time to actually get used too. But excellent for track abuse.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:00 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Reality350
I was considering the Titon street setup.. After speaking with a few ppl who had it, I changed my mind.

The general consensus was that it was not suitable for DD, and would take some time to actually get used too. But excellent for track abuse.

hmm thnx for the respond... any1 else?

Quick Reply: Lightest Aftermarket Flywheel