Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Well MY V8 is in!!! (LS2)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:44 AM
wptrx7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BrazenZ
I found out today, that u can buy a crate LS2 with an ecu for $6700 and a T-56 tranmission for $2750. A race built sleeved 3.8 VQ35 is 10k or more. Add a maggie blower and this might be a cost effective alternative for those wanting in the 500 hp range
There is a lot more to it than that and when you figure everything else out, you will see the 3.8 is more cost effective and painless in comparison.

Luigi
Old 01-22-2008, 07:58 AM
BrazenZ

Hey Noah how about some more information? I been to Hinson supercars website (still no updates). Did you use the power steering pump from a LS2, did you adapt the LS2 air conditioner compressor? Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:43 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by wptrx7
There is a lot more to it than that and when you figure everything else out, you will see the 3.8 is more cost effective and painless in comparison.

Luigi

yeah, but u don't have to buy a "crate" ls2, u can buy a wrecked high mileage camaro or firechicken for 1-2k, get the engine rebuilt for about 3k (conservative build to keep the price down) and the tranny for about 1.5k, that puts u at about 6.5k

a tt build with a sleeved block will run u at the very least 15k, so u still got about 8k to play with for everything else required for the swap till u reach the 15k for the tt built vq. and u have instant torque and a bulletproof tranny and a sick *** exhaust note

*not trying to start any wars or anything about which is better, different strokes for different folks, just pointing out that this swap doesn't have to cost more than a built tt vq set up
Old 01-22-2008, 11:47 AM
wptrx7

your prices are really low, most LSx/T56 combos start at $3500. For more info on swaps/Hinson, check out v8rx7forums (just don't do a search on Hinsons weld quality).

Luigi
Old 01-22-2008, 12:15 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Also dont discount Hinsons R&D work and installation...they will be compareable in the end in my opinion. This is like buying a CD player in 1989...this is new shizzil! lol You have to pay to play. The engine is the only optional price thing you can shop for IMO. But installation, time, and new technology will and should cost you a bit.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:36 AM
nuckinfutz74

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
First off I would like to thank Brian Hinson and the team at Hinson Supercars. I am not an easy customer and created many, many delays in getting this done (more-so than anybody should have put up with). Not only did he put up with me he did an amazing job in creating the World's First Chevy Powered 350Z.

Pete from BC Racing helped me keep my sanity as well as my wheels planted on the ground.
GM provided me with the LSX block, work wheels with some wheels, Vredestein with the sticky tires, Jesse from J and J Vinyl CO who will be installing my vinyls at the convention center last minute and GTSPEC for helping me ship a million and one things to a million and one places.

This new thread should help to show where the car is today as well as provide detailed information regarding this swap w/o having to go thru 17pages of people asking for pictures.

To start you off I will post the new pictures Brian Hinson got for us today!

Link to video from SEMA : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7logkEhpJJQ

Another Video of it REVVING : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ7bB...eature=related
FU&KING SWEET MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by wptrx7
your prices are really low, most LSx/T56 combos start at $3500. For more info on swaps/Hinson, check out v8rx7forums (just don't do a search on Hinsons weld quality).

Luigi
im not saying to buy combo," im saying buy a whole car, I have seen wrecked f bodies (6spd, v8, I never paid attention to autos) sell for just over 1kat salvage auctions. I was going to build an LS1 swapped s14 but decided for a Z instead. I did my research on this subject and know my numbers. but even if someone does end up buying a combo for 3500, it will still come out less than a sleeved vq tt build
Old 01-23-2008, 09:18 PM
andypandy

Damn site will never be updated.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:10 AM
zyou8er

Default You are correct, or whe One could do is buy the GTO mtor

tranny, ecu exc for about 7k on ebay. Just like you mentioned above, that T-56 Tranny is nice and tough, not like the pos nissan 6spd.
Or what you can do is build a VG30dett and push about 800rwhp all for under 10k, but that does not include the custom work and install

Originally Posted by warmmilk
im not saying to buy combo," im saying buy a whole car, I have seen wrecked f bodies (6spd, v8, I never paid attention to autos) sell for just over 1kat salvage auctions. I was going to build an LS1 swapped s14 but decided for a Z instead. I did my research on this subject and know my numbers. but even if someone does end up buying a combo for 3500, it will still come out less than a sleeved vq tt build
Old 01-24-2008, 07:38 AM
warmmilk

Originally Posted by zyou8er
tranny, ecu exc for about 7k on ebay. Just like you mentioned above, that T-56 Tranny is nice and tough, not like the pos nissan 6spd.
Or what you can do is build a VG30dett and push about 800rwhp all for under 10k, but that does not include the custom work and install
u can, u could also build a civic to 800 whp for under 10k, but it wouldnt be a 350z. and if ur saying to do a vg swap into the z, it will cost more than 10k. if u wanna do a vg, u might as well just build the vq and figure out a way to mount a stouter tranny to it. in my mind, the vg is just a heavier lesser version of the vq with less displacement
Old 01-24-2008, 08:52 AM
Sk8fe

The built sleeved TT VQ vs. whatever argument is a "religious war" and has been beat to death IMHO. I, for one, subscribed to this thread because I am excited about this swap and I look forward to getting more information about it when it is available. I would *like* to think that most people who subscribe to the thread have similar interests and are just as excited about this possibility and look forward to getting more information about this swap and not re-hashing an old "religious war" that will never end (because in the end there is no right or wrong, it all boils down to personal preference and where you want to spend *your* own money).

Information like where and how to obtain salvage titled f-bodies or GTO's to get LS1's or LS2's and T56 trannies for cheap I find useful. Discussions on how to do that and what the newbie should look for when attempting to do that for the first time I would like to see/have so the buyer doesn't end up wasting their money on a pile of junk that they can't do anything with except to loose even more money by having to pay someone to tow it away to the junkyard (insult to injury).

Discussions on companies that rebuild T56 trannies and put in race gear ratios I also find very interesting and useful.

Discussions on other LS V8 engine swaps I find interesting and where people find the best deals on LS3 crate motors, or the new up-coming LS3 480, or LS2's with Maggies or any and all that.

If I want to read about sleeved TT VQ builds there are tons of threads I could go to I'm sure. Can we please check the religious war at the door and not **** on the OP's thread and keep to discussing V8s and this swap? We don't need to discuss sleeved TT VQ builds here. If we do then maybe I need to unsubscribe as that is not the information I am looking for from this thread.

Noah, what say you?...
Old 01-24-2008, 09:10 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by zyou8er
I thought our trannies were pretty good once you have a later version that doesn't grind gears. There are a number of people here running 700+whp on the stock 6sp.

Oh, and the comment about the VG30dett.. heh... not gonna go there!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:15 PM
warmmilk

in reply to Sk8fe:

wrecked f bodies (and any other car) can be found on the following sites

www.copart.com

but u need to be a member to even see whats on this one

then there is this one

www.iaai.com

click on "Auction Lists"
then on whatever city u want, prices of cars (for both sites) will vary with location. u can see what cars there are without a membership, but u need to be a member to see pics

if u don't wanna get a membership, u can look up a location near u and go there or call them and ask for a dealer. then the dealer can provide you with the list of cars and possibly get u into the yard to look at the cars (depending on how nice the dealer is). these aren't ur typical car dealership. usually they just have a small dealership, if at all, maybe just a dealers license, and what they do is bid on car for people, and if they get the car, then u pay a fee to him (the guy i used years ago charged $100).
Old 01-24-2008, 02:02 PM
Sk8fe

^^^ Thanks! Great info!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:04 PM
brianhinson

Noah's car has safely returned to our shop. The trip home from SEMA took an extraordinarily long time. We have finalized the exhaust system, and it is now at our factory for automated reproduction in stainless steel. This process will take 10-15 days.

While the exhaust is being finished, we will be take care of a few remaining tasks on the car and begin preparing it for life on the street.

Our website is taking longer than I had hoped. I am close to going live with it, but pricing information on this application will not be ready until early February. We appreciate your patience and share your excitement. We feel this package will be very popular due to how well it has been executed.

If you're interested in getting on an email mailing list, please email us at sales@hinsonsupercars.com with "350Z Mailing List" in the subject line.

We're looking forward to working with you guys soon. Stay tuned!
Old 01-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Sk8fe

Done!
Old 01-25-2008, 02:56 AM
BrazenZ

Have card will charge!
Old 01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
NoahzBurnt

Guys...i cannot comment enough about the amazing work brian hinson did....the motor fits and looks amazing. They integrated the T-56 shifter into the stock location perfectly. I would not hesitate to use them again. If you are serious about this swap you cannot go wrong with Hinson Supercars....

I mean it seriously looks AMAZING!!!!

Last edited by NoahzBurnt; 02-05-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:22 AM
Jeff92se

Received 1,073 Likes on 965 Posts

Any wiring insight?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:24 AM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoahzBurnt
Guys...i cannot comment on the amazing work brian hinson did....the motor fits and looks amazing. They integrated the T-56 shifter into the stock location perfectly. I would not hesitate to use them again. If you are serious about this swap you cannot go wrong with Hinson Supercars....

I mean it seriously looks AMAZING!!!!

Noah,

The car looks sick!!!! Did you ever think you would be driving something like that back when in M.S. 67???? HAHAHAHAHA

-Mike

Quick Reply: Well MY V8 is in!!! (LS2)