Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Anybody have ABS issues when the Cusco RS is installed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 AM
dnguyent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody have ABS issues when the Cusco RS is installed?

I had my Cusco RS LSD plus the Nismo Finned Diff cover installed last Friday. After driving a few minutes, the ABS and SLIP lights go on.

I get home, jack up the rear end, then inspect the speed sensors. Sure enough, the sensors don't line up with the teeth on the stub axle. The sensors are mounted to the diff cover, and there is no way to adjust them. So, it appears that the stub axles are not lined up relative to the pumpkin as they were before.

I talked to the installer, and he said there is nothing he can do. He stated that either the Cusco RS LSD or the finned diff cover
has fitment issues because he cannot adjust the stub axle alignment.

Any opinions on this?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Axelerate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the RS diff and the finned cover and I dont have any issues. This is the first time I have heard of this problem.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:15 PM
dnguyent

The installer went back into the pumpkin, and found out that the clip ring that holds the axle stub in place was worn. So, it was essentially coming loose allowing the axle stub to shift.
Old 11-08-2007, 12:16 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

no issues at all, I have had the cover + RS diff for several years
Old 11-08-2007, 06:49 PM
XIceDragonX

sorry, but shouldn't the install had seen that it was loose when he put it back together?
Old 11-09-2007, 07:43 AM
dnguyent

Originally Posted by XIceDragonX
sorry, but shouldn't the install had seen that it was loose when he put it back together?
Well, my ABS lights didn't go on for a few miles (5-10 minutes of driving). Although the installer may have "clicked" the axle stub in, there may not have been enough force to pull them out until the car was driven. Without having done the install myself, I wouldn't know whether it's neglect on their part or just a clip ring that has worn and wasn't pronounced until the new LSD went in.

The installer went back in, and charged me for an hour's worth of work. I didn't really fight this, as they were actually really pleasant to work with. Initially, I thought I had mistakenly swapped one of the components inside the LSD when I reconfigured the plates to 80% locking, so I was REALLY worried that it would cost me another $350 to go in there, tear apart the LSD, the do the whole install again.

This is certainly not the first thing I've (or someone else) worked on the Z that didn't go perfect the first time. It seems that this car is cursed with irritating problems here and there....