Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Owners of VQ Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:00 AM
06CPV35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Owners of VQ Oil Consumption

Reason for this thread is to inform all members who had oil consumption issues or currently have this issue as a customer with Nissan/Infiniti, have the right to file a complaint with the NHTSA office of defects as a consumer.

The NHTSA stands for National Highway Traffic Safety Association. They have a department within their association known as ‘office of defects’. The purpose of this department is to investigate defective products that pose safety as well as, mechanical defects sold to consumers. This is usually how recalls are mandated against manufactures of products and equipment that are brought to their attention by many consumer complaints.
Here is a copy/paste from their web site. I have highlighted (red) the part that would pertain to our rev-up VQ issue:

About the Office of Defects Investigation (ODI)
The Office of Defects Investigation (ODI) is an office within the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). ODI conducts defect investigations and administers safety recalls to support the NHTSA’s mission to improve safety on our Nation's highways. NHTSA is authorized to order manufacturers to recall and repair vehicles or items of motor vehicle equipment when ODI investigations indicate that they contain serious safety defects in their design, construction, or performance. ODI also monitors the adequacy of manufacturers' recall campaigns. Before initiating an investigation, ODI carefully reviews the body of consumer complaints and other available data to determine whether a defect trend may exist.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/

NNA (Nissan North America) has not willingly addressed this known oil consumption issue on their VQ35DE with a volunteer recall concerning specifically, all 2005 thru 2007 rev-up VQ35DE’s. I feel it is important to inform the NHTSA of this defect whether you already have had your VQ replaced (some of you up to three warranty replacements) being it still was an occurrence of a defective VQ, or currently in an official oil consumption test, or just discovered you too have a defective VQ or best one yet; have been denied warranty replacement of this long known VQ issue due to not consuming 1qt/1000mi or worse. NNA feels it is acceptable consumption if you’re above that standard.

I disagree with that oil consumption standard set forth by NNA as their baseline for warranty replacements. There are revup VQ’s that never had oil consumption issues since day one bought and still do not. Then there’s some that have serious OC issues since day one or soon afterwards that fall within NNA’s replacement standard and have been replaced. Finely, there are VQ’s that have moderate OC issues from day one new or soon afterwards, but do not meet warranty replacement standards. Example: on average since new 1qt/2500mi. I find that consumption unacceptable in today’s engine standards for consumers, being it is possible to own a revup VQ with no consumption issues whatsoever. Be it a factory oem or latest Nissan/Infiniti replacement hand built in Japan.

If enough owners of these past or present defective VQ’s are brought to NHTSA office of defects attention, they may investigate this issue and hopefully tell NNA to address this defect to their customers with minimal hassle in the future. Also with a mandated higher 1qt/mi warranty replacement standard (my personal wish). I’ve heard so many stories of involving the BBB or going as far as retaining an Attorney to get NNA to fairly address their OC issue due to Dealer lip service and/or told it’s normal consumption for these engines and/or it’s how you drive your vehicle and/or denied warranty replacement, etc.

If members of post and current rev-up VQ’s with OC issues feel and agree with me, please file your complaint with the NHTSA. I feel it’s time for NNA to increase their replacement standard as well as, reduce the number of BBB cases along with less cost to their customers in privately retaining an Attorney for fair resolution. Not to mention the long drawn out hassle and inconvenience of the above mentioned measures. It’s bad enough with OC testing and warranty replacement(s) within itself.

IMO it’s time for Nissan/Infiniti to fully and fairly step up to the plate with their customers in this issue and have the government tell them to do so. I have lived with this OC issue for 23 months and see no light at the end of my tunnel with this defective VQ I own. My consumption is ~1qt/2500mi and feel I should not have to accept this from Nissan/Infiniti as well as no one else. Nor go as far as involving the BBB and I can’t afford to retain an Attorney to pursue this. NNA knows it's in their best interest to handle this on a case-by-case customer basis. I feel it's time they're to be mandated in resolving this issue in a timely and fair manner to their customers affected with this defect.

Link to start the complaint process:
-It is a somewhat long process, but it could be well worth it in the long run, imho-

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/

Appreciate your support and thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:01 AM
06CPV35

Admin and moderators...please make a sticky if you feel this is of enough importance.

Thank you
Old 11-20-2007, 12:59 AM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I do feel that it's an important issue, but in many ways this ship has sailed. There have been whole threads that attempted to compile user information on revup oil consumption, and most likely it won't be easy to attract the attention of everyone whom this pertains to.

I can sticky this for you to see if it helps, but be advised that usually sticky threads get even LESS attention than nonstuck threads

PM me in a day or two if you aren't getting any bumps I'll stick it

Last edited by Wired 24/7; 11-20-2007 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:05 AM
06CPV35

Thank you Sir. Appreciate your willingness to do so.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:49 PM
ZeeForce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

06CPV35,

+1 +1

I filed the complaint and the process was not long, about 5 min and very easy.

If all of the members on the Oil Consumption thread could file a complaint, then we could very well see some changes with NNA.

Thanks for providing us with another avenue of voicing our displeasure with the current 06 Rev Up oil consumption issue.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:31 PM
06CPV35

^ You're welcome. Hope people take this consumer right seriously and participate.
It certainly can't hurt and could help current and future Z/G owners with this ongoing consumption issue.
I for one am tired of this almost 2 year issue for me personally and feel it's time for NNA to be called-out publicly about this.

Thanks for your participation and the free BUMP.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:15 AM
06CPV35

Update...

Seems NNA has released a TSB on 2005-2006 350Z's with M/T.
It has fairly addressed the oil consumption issue with the revup VQ's, imo.

Nothing yet, to my knowledge, on the Infiniti G35's with same VQ and issues.

350Z owners got a win, G35 owners still at battle.

Thank you to all Z owners who filed.
G35 owners...keep filing your complaints. We don't have a win yet.

Thank you.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:08 PM
ZeeForce

G35 TSB will be coming shortly; they can not leave out the Infinity family.

Odd, I would have thought they would have taken care of Infinity first.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

anyone have a LINK to the TSB ?
Old 12-03-2007, 06:04 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
G35 TSB will be coming shortly; they can not leave out the Infinity family.

Odd, I would have thought they would have taken care of Infinity first.
Or had released the Infiniti TSB same date as the Nissan TSB. Same VQ, same OC issues, same years affected...
Wow...by the time Infiniti gives us ours, there'll be a huge back log and long wait for us on the V2 from the 350Z TSB :sigh:
Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
anyone have a LINK to the TSB ?
It's in the OC thread. ZeeForce posted it up.
Here's the post snapshots...

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2084
^ pgs 1-5

https://my350z.com/forum/showpost...postcount=2085
^pgs 6-8

Last edited by 06CPV35; 12-03-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 06:22 PM
cdoxp800

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is the Doc
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NTB07-088.pdf (113.9 KB, 96 views)
Old 12-05-2007, 05:49 AM
Reality350

^ty !!!!!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:09 PM
BabyZiLLa

TSB is useless when there just replacing it with another consuming engine. How bloody hard is it too fix that it takes two years. Cmon.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:53 AM
Reality350

^Where in canada, are you?
-how many engines have you gone through?

I should have my z back by next week, I am hoping I got a solid engine.
Old 01-08-2008, 08:15 AM
BabyZiLLa

Originally Posted by Reality350
^Where in canada, are you?
-how many engines have you gone through?

I should have my z back by next week, I am hoping I got a solid engine.
Im in Edmonton. This is only my second engine. ONLY i say. To go through 3-4 engines like some people is just insane. I know plenty of people that can build a reliable engine out of the VQ. Whats Nissan's excuse?
Old 01-08-2008, 09:57 AM
Reality350

^hey,
Your still loosing oil? was it worse then the first?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:19 AM
06CPV35

Well, just found out Infiniti jumped on the TSB bandwagon for us G35 folks.

Still with the V2 replacemnet, so no V3 as rumored.
It's interesting how Infiniti stresses the break-in proceedure. Something I didn't see on the 350Z TSB.

Here it is folks:

ITB08-002 G35 OC TSB.pdf

But with continual failures on the V2 (our V2 ends in M9) keep filing with every failure you experience.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:42 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Well, just found out Infiniti jumped on the TSB bandwagon for us G35 folks.

Still with the V2 replacemnet, so no V3 as rumored.
It's interesting how Infiniti stresses the break-in proceedure. Something I didn't see on the 350Z TSB.

Here it is folks:

Attachment 173915

But with continual failures on the V2 (our V2 ends in M9) keep filing with every failure you experience.
Congrats!

It’s about time!

Yeh that is the only difference I see in the two TSB’.

So far so good with my V2, only down 10 mm on 3350 mi oil change interval, but its still in the break in period so it’s expected, until the rings seat.

Great job, and good luck with your V2’s.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:36 PM
06CPV35

Originally Posted by ZeeForce
Congrats!

It’s about time!

Yeh that is the only difference I see in the two TSB’.

So far so good with my V2, only down 10 mm on 3350 mi oil change interval, but its still in the break in period so it’s expected, until the rings seat.

Great job, and good luck with your V2’s.
Thanks ZeeForce. Ironically, this TSB came out exact same day two years ago when I bought my G

Just posted my UOA results on UOA thread. In a nutshell, it proves blow-by with fuel dilution, ring/piston and cylinder wall wear, but have the TSB now

Not bad OC during break-in. Hope it improves more afterward.

Last edited by 06CPV35; 01-12-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM
ZeeForce

Originally Posted by 06CPV35
Thanks ZeeForce. Ironically, this TSB came out exact same day two years ago when I bought my G

Just posted my UOA results on UOA thread. In a nutshell, it proves blow-by with fuel dilution, ring/piston and cylinder wall wear, but have the TSB now

Not bad OC during break-in. Hope it improves more afterward.
Must be a good sign.

Very interesting, your’s is the first I have heard of, with a UOA. Just more ammo under your belt for Infiniti. I will check out the post on the thread.

I also hope it improves, thanks.

I noticed on the TSB, Infiniti has it for 07’s and it targets specific VIN’s and MFG dates. What’s with that?

Quick Reply: Owners of VQ Oil Consumption