Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Another "Got my Borla" Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 10:45 AM
DrCold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Another "Got my Borla" Thread.

Yep. I got it in on tuesday and put it on that night. The install was sweet and simple. I think the hardest part was taking off the stock exhaust. Being that i dont have any air tools i had to just keep trying till it the nuts finally broke loose. The stock muffler was also a pain in the ***. I didnt want to take off to much stuff, so i just sprayed some WD40 on the rubber mount and started wiggling the muffler off. It took a bit of work and a whole lot of cussing, but it came off.

The Borla slipped on with out any problems. Each of the pipes are the exact length, they fit over each other perfectly, and the clamps are top quality. I probably did it the hard way by not take off the rubber mounts and just putting the hooks thru while it was still on the car, but i got it done in about 2 hours (total start to finish). Pretty easy stuffs.

So how does it sound? Its exactly what i was looking for. I cruise around alot with JmanZ, and he has the Stillen exhaust. All though it does sound good, its not what I like. The Borla is just what the Doctor ordered. It is a little bit too quiet, but the tone is spot on. It sounds like im driving an exotic. I'd be curious to hear what it sounds like with out the resonators. If anyone gets any clips of that, let me know, i might pull them off.

I did start the car and rev it a few times with just the cats on. It sounds MEAN! Much to raspy for my tastes tho.

Everything about this exhaust is top quality. I love it. I was to eager to hear it so i didnt line the tips up perfectly (well, i guess the whole muffler), so im going to have to fix that this weekend. But other wise i couldnt be happier with it (well, maybe if it was a bit louder).

I hope to get some vidoes of it soon with Jay's new video camera, so we'll have some more vid clips out there for those that want to hear it.

-DrCold

P.S.
Big thanks to Labree Motorsports for getting me this exhaust. It came much faster than i was expecting, and they are deffinatly a top quality shop. Thanks guys!
Old 06-19-2003, 12:02 PM
ajk4

im hopefully gonna do my borla install on sat., are there any problems that you ran into during the install (other than the ones you listed). also, did you need any special tools or just a wrench, wd40, and jacks stands?
Old 06-19-2003, 12:09 PM
DrCold

Originally posted by ajk4
im hopefully gonna do my borla install on sat., are there any problems that you ran into during the install (other than the ones you listed). also, did you need any special tools or just a wrench, wd40, and jacks stands?
All you need is a 14mm socket, a 15mm socket, a floor jack, a couple jack stands, a can of WD40, and a bit of determination. Geting the stock one off is really the hardest part. Besure to double check how the tips look before you tighten down the two clamps closest to the muffler. I wasnt thinking and tightened it down. Then when i noticed the tips didnt look right, it was to hard to move the muffler around. I'm going to play with it this weekend when i have time. All in all, you shouldnt have any trouble. And if ya do, just pm me or post on the forums. I or somebody will be able to help you.

Have fun!

Last edited by DrCold; 06-19-2003 at 12:13 PM.
Old 06-19-2003, 05:43 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

DrCold, did you hear any hissing sound when revving? I had this sound, not sure where it come from.. maybe there's a leak? I am suspecting the clamp on the h-pipe.

The install was 2 1/2hrs for me.. just like DrCold said, all you need is (I use open/box end wrench) 14mm, 15mm, wd40 and jackstand. I bought my jackstand from Walmart for $8.88, pretty good price.

The trick is to mount the muffler LAST. after you line up the pipes from cat-back, don't tighten the clamps just yet. put the muffler last and make sure you line up the tips before tighten down the clamps. also don't forget the ground cable.

here is the rear view..

Old 06-19-2003, 06:47 PM
DrCold

yes, i do hear a hissing sound. I figure this weekend when i try to align the tips up right i'll check where its comming from. It sounds like a leak, but im not quite sure. You can really hear it if you park next to a wall, or even a curb and rev the engine. As the engine rev's down you can hear it better.

I cant get enough of this exhaust tho. It just sounds so good!
Old 06-19-2003, 07:09 PM
guerojo

Im spoiled I got it today and I own a shop so I'll have one of my guiys put it on while I am at the auction or something. I told him today to start taking the fac exhaust off when my daughter told me that i had received a box. Cant wait, I will let you guys know what I think of it.