Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

350Z Fuel Level Sending Unit???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:58 AM
Kuneff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z Fuel Level Sending Unit???

Does anyone know if the Fuel Sending Unit on a (03-04) 350Z will work on a G35???? I have G35, and mine is bad. I am trying to avoid ordering one thru Infiniti. They are 2 hours away so I would have to pay for shipping. I pass the local Nissan garage every day so it would just be a lot easier.

IF anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. The Infiniti Part number is 25060cd000. I am hoping someone out there can cross reference the part numbers and see if they will interchange.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 AM
HondaKiller
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure about where you are at, but the Nissan/Infiniti dealers down here are on the same lot. Spread out fairly well, but the same tech center. They may send it over to the Nissan dealership so you can pick it up there?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:41 AM
Kuneff

Originally Posted by HondaKiller
not sure about where you are at, but the Nissan/Infiniti dealers down here are on the same lot. Spread out fairly well, but the same tech center. They may send it over to the Nissan dealership so you can pick it up there?

Nissan is right on my way home from work, Infiniti is 2 hours away. They will not even cross reference parts/part numbers.

When my clock light bulbs burned out, I had more in shipping than I did in the 2 bulbs.

Old 03-06-2008, 07:19 AM
Kuneff

Name:  redneck_road_warning.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  16.3 KB

Can someone help??? Anyone????
Old 03-06-2008, 08:51 AM
SpoilsofWar

We are talking about the small black sensor that fits onto the fuel pump basket, and is within the tank, yes?

If so, I will bet dollars to donuts a Z one will work just fine on the G, the fuel baskets are the same IIRC.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM
Kuneff

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
We are talking about the small black sensor that fits onto the fuel pump basket, and is within the tank, yes?

If so, I will bet dollars to donuts a Z one will work just fine on the G, the fuel baskets are the same IIRC.
I honestly don't know what the piece looks like... I just know its my sending unit that is messing up cause the car is showing the gas tanks as empty with low fuel light on, nad I still have a half a tank of gas.

Is the fuel level sending unit just a black box????? I know its in with the fuel pump...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:30 AM
raycs7

hope this helps= superceded part number.....

25060CD00A $0.00 $0.00 $0.00
Electrical - Chassis electrical - Senders - Fuel gauge sending unit
Fuel gauge sending unit, 350z, right 2003 - 2006

25060CD00A $95.27 $0.00 $73.36
Electrical - Chassis electrical - Senders - Fuel gauge sending unit
Fuel gauge sending unit, g35, coupe, right, part of fuel pump 2005 - 2007

Note there is another sending unit on the left side of the tank..
Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by Kuneff
I honestly don't know what the piece looks like... I just know its my sending unit that is messing up cause the car is showing the gas tanks as empty with low fuel light on, nad I still have a half a tank of gas.

Is the fuel level sending unit just a black box????? I know its in with the fuel pump...
Okay, first off the black sensor thats on the outside of the fuel basket is the fuel temp sensor and has nothing to do with fuel level, so disregard that.

Have you (or anyone else) removed your fuel basket at all? If so you may have snared the fuel level float on the siphon hose. This will cause the float arm to get stuck in the down position and screw up level readings.

If thats not the issue then the fuel level sending unit is the cause. Both the G and Z use the same fuel basket assembly, and since the sending unit is on that basket, the parts will be interchangable.

Ignore the red arrows, they are part of CJM's fuel pump install instructions:

See that part on the assembly that has the metal arm (the float itself is removed in this pic) sticking out of it, and has two wires, one white and one black, coming up out of it? That is the fuel level sender. Fuel basket is the same in G & Z, so that part is the same. Feel free to get it from the Nissan dealership.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 AM
Kuneff

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
Okay, first off the black sensor thats on the outside of the fuel basket is the fuel temp sensor and has nothing to do with fuel level, so disregard that.

Have you (or anyone else) removed your fuel basket at all? If so you may have snared the fuel level float on the siphon hose. This will cause the float arm to get stuck in the down position and screw up level readings.

If thats not the issue then the fuel level sending unit is the cause. Both the G and Z use the same fuel basket assembly, and since the sending unit is on that basket, the parts will be interchangable.

Ignore the red arrows, they are part of CJM's fuel pump install instructions:

See that part on the assembly that has the metal arm (the float itself is removed in this pic) sticking out of it, and has two wires, one white and one black, coming up out of it? That is the fuel level sender. Fuel basket is the same in G & Z, so that part is the same. Feel free to get it from the Nissan dealership.

To my knowledge the fuel pump has never been out of the car. I have had it since 41k miles, and it now has 76k and is starting to have issues... The car was back at the Infiniti dealer for the fuel line recal, but they said the part they had to replace was accessed from the under side of the car. AND, it was nto in the tank. I never checked... I dynamated my entire car, so if I pop the rear seat up I will be able to see if the dynamat has been cut to get to the fuel pump.

Do you know if the fuel level sending unit comes with a new foam float?? I would hate to go thru the work to change JUST the float to find out the sending unit is the problem, OR to change the unit and find out it was the float...
Old 03-07-2008, 06:12 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

also, what does the basket on the non-pump side do? On the G its on the drivers side, and on the Z its on the passenger side.

Does that also sense fuel level? If so, is there a way to tell which sender is bad?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:08 AM
SpoilsofWar

I have no idea what is on the non-pump side (drivers side on the Z), I have never had that side of the tank opened up. I doubt anything on that side senses level, given that the fuel basket w/ the float sensor is positioned in such a way that even though the basket itself is on one side of the tank, the float is more or less in the middle of the tank.

You could ask Kevinapex, as he was running a dual pump setup using one fuel basket on each side of the tank. so he should know if there is any level sensors on that side. Like I said though, I highly doubt it.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:14 AM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by Kuneff
Do you know if the fuel level sending unit comes with a new foam float?? I would hate to go thru the work to change JUST the float to find out the sending unit is the problem, OR to change the unit and find out it was the float...
I dont know what is included in a new level sensor/sender from the dealer. It could be just the electronic sender, or it could be the sender and arm/float assembly. If it is just the electronics, you can reuse your old float arm and float.

I highly, highly doubt the float itself is your problem, as it is made of plastic (not foam), and I cant think of a single reason it would fail unless it became snared by the siphon hose (which is impossible unless the fuel basket was removed and reinstalled improperly).
Old 03-07-2008, 11:17 AM
raycs7

My gauge is not working.
I changed the one on the driver's side,there is a float..
The problem remains so I will change the whole assy on the passenger side.
I have it but my tank is full and I cannot see properly in there to remove the assy.
Will replace it and know for sure.
I already tried switching out the gauge..
Old 03-07-2008, 11:21 AM
raycs7

the float is integrated with a potentiometer which gives the level.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by raycs7
My gauge is not working.
I changed the one on the driver's side,there is a float..
The problem remains so I will change the whole assy on the passenger side.
I have it but my tank is full and I cannot see properly in there to remove the assy.
Will replace it and know for sure.
I already tried switching out the gauge..
You have a Z, correct? And there is a level float in the tank behind the driver's seat as well?
Old 03-07-2008, 12:33 PM
raycs7

Yes there is one...I tried changing that one first.
I had talked to another driver... that had solved his problem.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:47 PM
str8dum1

thats why I asked, there are 2 floats. one on each side. my fuel gauge doesnt top off anymore and drop to empty unexpectedly (esp if I havent been payin attention to my Odometer)

I have had the basket out to do my RFS, so i have to check it again. But I also wanted to know what the other float was for bc i had that one out by accident (didnt realize that G and Z's had opposite sides for the fuel pump)
Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Kuneff

OK, so now I am really stumped.... There is a fuel level sending unit/float on BOTH sides of the tank?????

How do/can I tell which one is working improperly???
Old 03-10-2008, 10:37 AM
raycs7

Option one...dealer, should find it with consult 2 or 3.
Option 2 .. I replaced the easy one first.. had bought both sides used.
I have not got to the other side yet.the car is not yet in use.
I will replace the whole basket.
Maybe you can take it out and test the resistance while moving the arm..
They do look similar..maybe interchangable.. got to look into that
Attached Thumbnails 350Z Fuel Level Sending Unit???-intank.jpg  

Last edited by raycs7; 03-10-2008 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:48 AM
str8dum1

if you use a multimeter, you can check the resistance. On my pump side basket I was seeing between 3 and 80 ohms. Standard sender is 0-100 ohms. Without knowing what other members see, its hard to say if mine is workign properly or not.

Quick Reply: 350Z Fuel Level Sending Unit???