Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Non-rev ups redlining at 7000+RPM, talk to me.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:30 AM
first350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I raised my rev limiter to 7,100 last year ('05 enthusiast, non-RevUp).

I mainly bumped the rev limiter for autoX...there's many times where I'm at redline in 2nd gear just moments before a braking zone, so it'd not worth shifting to 3rd and back down...the extra few 100 rpms lets me not waste those precious tenths of seconds!

here's the dyno...you can see the before AAM tune and after (the after goes to the new 7,100 rpm redline). You can see that power drops off a little after the OE redline...and this is with headers, pullies, flywheel, intake, plenum, and ECU tune.

here's the post I made regarding the ECU tune/dyno:
https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/246942-aam-flash-o-dyno-pics-and-vid.html

**so far I've had no issues w/ the higher redline...but I rarely go into that range.

Last edited by first350; 03-05-2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:28 AM
ACEMAN
Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running my car for over 3 years with the reflash to 7200rpm with no known issues. For me i like to rev out first and second gear to 7200rpm and then third i will change around peak power and so on. No use to rev higher in those gears ( no power )

Here is my dyno chart.. I need some cams

Todd
Attached Thumbnails Non-rev ups redlining at 7000+RPM, talk to me.-uncorrecteddyno.jpg  
Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM
baby_ruiner

Originally Posted by aceman
I have been running my car for over 3 years with the reflash to 7200rpm with no known issues. For me i like to rev out first and second gear to 7200rpm and then third i will change around peak power and so on. No use to rev higher in those gears ( no power )

Todd
makes sense. i think IMO and what i have seen the DE likes the lowend as compared to the newer models. i just installed the jwt valvetrain when i did cams but havent done any tuning and the dyno hated life when i went to dyno untuned. thats dynojet for you. aceman, ill send you that dyno when it happens sometime next week. i really havent come accross and de cammed dynos other then Z1, wish there were some out with some less built motors.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 AM
rbfd

I am getting tuned with cams saturday at forged with a haltech on a stock motor and will be posting my dyno results. Watch for the thread if your interested.

Nick
Old 03-06-2008, 02:25 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by first350
I raised my rev limiter to 7,100 last year ('05 enthusiast, non-RevUp).

I mainly bumped the rev limiter for autoX...there's many times where I'm at redline in 2nd gear just moments before a braking zone, so it'd not worth shifting to 3rd and back down...the extra few 100 rpms lets me not waste those precious tenths of seconds!

here's the dyno...you can see the before AAM tune and after (the after goes to the new 7,100 rpm redline). You can see that power drops off a little after the OE redline...and this is with headers, pullies, flywheel, intake, plenum, and ECU tune.

here's the post I made regarding the ECU tune/dyno:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246942

**so far I've had no issues w/ the higher redline...but I rarely go into that range.
Hmmm...since you did the AAM Flash, in theory I could do the same since I'm looking at the Osiris. I can just have UpRev send me a custom map for my mods and such. Makes sense.

Damn, your drop off in power doesn't seem very bad at all. And neither does Acemans. So I suppose a proper tune/map should suffice for avoiding a large power decline past 6600RPM?
Old 03-06-2008, 02:34 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

both sheets show roughly a 20 whp drop in about 650 rpm...that's pretty significant and just emphasizes what's been posted. Both cars also have headers and test pipes, so the drop off on a car without those will likely be more substantial
Old 03-06-2008, 03:44 PM
baby_ruiner

Originally Posted by rbfd
I am getting tuned with cams saturday at forged with a haltech on a stock motor and will be posting my dyno results. Watch for the thread if your interested.

Nick
good deal and good luck, your running the r cams? they look comperable to mine. are you increasing your red line and did you upgrade the valve train?

Last edited by baby_ruiner; 03-06-2008 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:05 PM
OCG35
Banned

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
I am convinced that some of these people obsessed with revving to 7k+ are those that stepped up to the Z from a civic or prelude.

There is nothing up there for you! Let it go.
1 less shift in 1/4 mile when you have shorter gears... that's one reason I have it...
Old 03-06-2008, 05:04 PM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
both sheets show roughly a 20 whp drop in about 650 rpm...that's pretty significant and just emphasizes what's been posted. Both cars also have headers and test pipes, so the drop off on a car without those will likely be more substantial
20WHP? Look closer. I just examined First 350's in photoshop and it's about a 8-9WHP drop 6400RPM vs. 7100RPM. Not bad at all, if you ask me. I'll take a look at Aceman's now too.

Edit: Aceman's does fall 20WHP, though. No arguments there.

Last edited by SniperHunter; 03-06-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:45 PM
rbfd

Originally Posted by baby_ruiner
good deal and good luck, your running the r cams? they look comperable to mine. are you increasing your red line and did you upgrade the valve train?
Thanks, Yeah im running the R's. I am planning on increasing the redline to 7200 but as far as I know I am on the stock valve train. The cams were installed by the first owner of my car at a Nissan dealership. I'll hopefully be able to post up a thread saturday night, and then dyno's monday when I get back.

Nick
Old 03-06-2008, 07:28 PM
baby_ruiner

Thanks, Yeah im running the R's. I am planning on increasing the redline to 7200 but as far as I know I am on the stock valve train. The cams were installed by the first owner of my car at a Nissan dealership. I'll hopefully be able to post up a thread saturday night, and then dyno's monday when I get back.

Nick
nice i ended up doing the JWT vavle train while i was in there (as well as another grand in misc parts and such), i didnt want to take chances with float and such (im running tomei 264s). ill pm you the link to my info when i get tuned (hopefully next week, my shop has a 20grand lsX job he needs to finish and has been putting off for two months so his wife wont let him do anything else till its done. i use a corvette shop in atl). im really intrested in the before and after dynos and to see if the gains were as stout as they were when i was tuned with bolt ons (31whp gain after tuning). best of luck and harass ceaser for me.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:20 AM
rbfd

nice i ended up doing the JWT vavle train while i was in there (as well as another grand in misc parts and such), i didnt want to take chances with float and such (im running tomei 264s). ill pm you the link to my info when i get tuned (hopefully next week, my shop has a 20grand lsX job he needs to finish and has been putting off for two months so his wife wont let him do anything else till its done. i use a corvette shop in atl). im really intrested in the before and after dynos and to see if the gains were as stout as they were when i was tuned with bolt ons (31whp gain after tuning). best of luck and harass ceaser for me.

Sounds good, I am concerned with float but with a few notable people on here revving to 7200 alot and seeing no issues I feel better about it. Is there a reason why you arent having your car tuned at Forged? I too am interested in my before and after dyno's , I am expecting to see some big gains from completely untuned with cams to a full "Sharif Tune". Thanks for the info and I'm sure I will harass everyone at Forged while I'm there

Nick
Old 03-07-2008, 09:49 AM
first350

Originally Posted by Arnold K.
20WHP? Look closer. I just examined First 350's in photoshop and it's about a 8-9WHP drop 6400RPM vs. 7100RPM. Not bad at all, if you ask me. I'll take a look at Aceman's now too.

Edit: Aceman's does fall 20WHP, though. No arguments there.
IMO even a 50 wHP drop is worth the extra revs...I think it's obvious that without much more internal work, just reving higher won't produce more peak power - but a few more 100 RPMs in some situations (autoX, drag racing,...) can really come in useful!
Old 03-07-2008, 09:55 AM
baby_ruiner

Sounds good, I am concerned with float but with a few notable people on here revving to 7200 alot and seeing no issues I feel better about it. Is there a reason why you arent having your car tuned at Forged? I too am interested in my before and after dyno's , I am expecting to see some big gains from completely untuned with cams to a full "Sharif Tune". Thanks for the info and I'm sure I will harass everyone at Forged while I'm there

Nick
they seem like a decent shop for boosted cars. I had a bad experience with a BIG name import shop tuning the Z the first time around and have only seen decent results out of forged with n/a cars. The shop i go to now has been more then accomidating correcting the first shops errors. The owner is a GM master tech, with no experince on utec, had a 21whp and 30 tq gain his first time on it(lets just say the first shop ripped a tune of the net and didnt put a wideband in while tuning). ill pm the link to my dynos from the first shop and the most recent. good luck. any idea where your car sits now?
Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 AM
SniperHunter

Originally Posted by first350
IMO even a 50 wHP drop is worth the extra revs...I think it's obvious that without much more internal work, just reving higher won't produce more peak power - but a few more 100 RPMs in some situations (autoX, drag racing,...) can really come in useful!
Yeah, hopefully UpRev can put together something for me when I decide to order. =)

Last edited by SniperHunter; 03-07-2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 AM
rbfd

they seem like a decent shop for boosted cars. I had a bad experience with a BIG name import shop tuning the Z the first time around and have only seen decent results out of forged with n/a cars. The shop i go to now has been more then accomidating correcting the first shops errors. The owner is a GM master tech, with no experince on utec, had a 21whp and 30 tq gain his first time on it(lets just say the first shop ripped a tune of the net and didnt put a wideband in while tuning). ill pm the link to my dynos from the first shop and the most recent. good luck. any idea where your car sits now?
Interesting. I'll look forward to looking at your dyno's to see where the improvements were made and how. I have no clue where the car is as far as whp goes, but I should have baseline #'s tomorrow!

Nick
Old 03-08-2008, 10:25 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Interesting. I'll look forward to looking at your dyno's to see where the improvements were made and how. I have no clue where the car is as far as whp goes, but I should have baseline #'s tomorrow!

Nick
Looking forward to your results. Hopefully things are going well at Forged today and we'll read your results tonight!

You're going to love the Haltech, too.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by aceman

Todd
See where the power drops off after 6200 rpms? There is no point to rev you motor out to 7200 RPM's.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:01 PM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nick
Tell me how forged is, I plan on getting my UTEC tuned there next month. How hard was it to set up an appointment?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:47 PM
GrayG35

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
See where the power drops off after 6200 rpms? There is no point to rev you motor out to 7200 RPM's.
just because the power drops off at 6200 doesnt mean that thats the best place to shift at. why would you shift right after getting the peak hp???? i shift my non revup at 7100-7200 so that i can land in a better place in my next gear. for example if you shift at 6500rpm out of 2nd gear into 3rd, lets say you land at 5k, that leaves 1.3k worth of rpms to climb before getting to peak again. instead if you shift out of 2nd at 7200 you can land at about 5500rpm in third leaving you only 800 rpm away from your peak. that means you will get the topend power faster. and according to my chart i have more power at 7k-7.2krpm than i do at 5krpm. Ive tried shifting at many different points to try and achieve a better 1/4mile and this by far is the best.

Quick Reply: Non-rev ups redlining at 7000+RPM, talk to me.