Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

The ECU lowdown

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 10:17 PM
DMONTE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will technosquares ECU program be customized per application depending upon modifications of each vehicle?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:24 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

unless there is some major problem with your car that they need to pull the codes via consult or something... they shouldnt be reflashing your ecu. they shouldnt be reflashing the ecu for anything except for firmware updates, and even then, they need a good reason to do so... i dont forsee that as any type of problem in the future.

Dmonte:
please read the ECU threads (short or long) listed in my sig.

thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 01:20 AM
12SecZ

Chest

Don't diss Hypertech now. Got me into 12.1 and it does waaay more than anything on the market.

Nissan could only hope to have such a unit.

hence why i think the ecu is the way to adequately make the power your mods are supposed to do...
But headers venting out the hot exhaust is gonna give you a better E/T and improve your gas mileage no matter what ECU you have,

Some things never change.

Cold air in, A.F tuned right and hot gas out. ECU will help but it won't do much as a stand alone.

That's how it's done.

an ECU alone will not put your car in the 12's. I am still waiting for the plug and play version, I know it can be done just time that's all. Time and Time again

Last edited by 12SecZ; 07-02-2003 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:38 AM
syf0n

Max,

I am assuming Hypertech is the computer you used to tune your car...?

How much are they, and do you know of any sites that explain ECU tuning? I am very new to this but would like to et maximum gains out of the mods I have been doing to my car.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:46 AM
12SecZ

Hypertech set my fan speeds to come on sooner, they adjust you odometer to correctness if you change rim sizex, they allow you to add or subtract a/f and shift firmness, they do it all.

http://www.hypertech.com/faqnew.html

It's not my area of expertise though (Imports) Asl Electro Juggernaught he is an electrician with a degree in it and has been playing with his ECU through two different companies because of this CAN crap.

I defer to him in this matter the 12/1 was my Domestic. One would think someone can take this flash technology into a Programmer and let us flash our own ECU's.

It can't be that difficult. I know for certian that in 2004 the ECU is all CAN not partial like our 03's and I would never buy one (a 2004 all CAN CAR.)

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...an+Ecu&spell=1
Old 07-02-2003, 02:00 AM
12SecZ

It's not my area of expertise though
As you can see neither is my typing. Graves have me wierded out. 22 days straight n ow I am off and can't sleep and the sun is about to rise.

Sorry if I offended you in other threads your ok. I'm bad. I get sick of all this ECU this ECU that I honestly wish I had a 1968 Chevy Camaro with a fuel pump water pump alternator plugs MSD and LT headers and no smog.
Old 07-02-2003, 03:11 AM
DMONTE

Originally posted by Chebosto
[

Dmonte:
please read the ECU threads (short or long) listed in my sig.

thanks [/B]
Went through most of your Threads and technosquares web site.

What other previous car's ECU's has technosquare successfully rework the programming on?

DMonte
Old 07-02-2003, 07:31 AM
infidsg35

Hey Chest,

Is there any news with the G35 coupes release date? Im holding off on my intake and other mods till I get this smartass ECU upgraded.. I dont feel like reading through the thousands of threads but how long will it take total shipping - reprogram - recieve? Any price ideas yet. Doesnt have to be exact just a ballpark figure..

Thanx guys any info will help!!
Old 07-02-2003, 09:11 AM
kwanderi

I would love to have an upgrade to the ECU, but will not ever send the ECU out to have it flashed. Just not an option for me, PERIOD.

A hand-held home flash unit is the only ECU flash I would ever consider purchasing. I've had a Hyper-Tech for my 98 Z/28 and loved how I could pick and choose what I wanted to alter. Putting the car back to stock settings was also a big plus.

This is not to slam anyone, just letting vendors know what their customers really want and would/would NOT purchase.

Old 07-02-2003, 09:56 AM
junglist350Z

Originally posted by Chebosto
Guys! totally i would! but its TechnoSquare's program.. they did all the tuning... its THEIR property.. i doubt they would sell it unless someone offered like $1 million or something... (just hypotetically speaking)

TechnoSquare IS giving the owners what they want: an ECU program for US spec Zs.. isnt that what you wanted all along?? beggars cant be choosers, especially in this field. if you want to wait for a hand-held, then perhaps you should until you find one that suits your time frame/schedule... i can only suggest the idea to them.. and if i had some extra time off work, maybe get with my EE friends to come up with the board layout. but that would take a while.. cuz they're all workin' too...

Piggy back board design is tough... stand alone is harder. and an handheld is some boo-koo bucks... just ask any chip designer, if you can come up with something better than TechnoSquare can, please be my guest Potato Head, and we can get something going on distribution or something that would benefit the rest of the car owners..

because i'm sure there are alot of other people like that think like you do, who dont want to shut the car down on a friday, miss out on their car for a weekend, and get their ecu on the following monday or something... its hard. i've been w/o a car for 6 monthes. i can understand your frustration.

In the current ECU programming world, at least in the Import ecu world, its always been you send in your ecu and get it sent back.. i'm not going to get into this discussion yet again. the horse has been beaten... and turned to glue...

i will ask technosquare the options, but its going to be a send in and return process.

last I checked Hondas dont need to do this either. Check out the Hondata. VW's dont normally need to do this either, they either add a chip or just get a whole new ECU and trade in their old one. Sending an ECU out and having it flashed and then sent back is such a pain in the *** unless the turn around time was like 3 days total. 1 day you send it out, 1 day for them to do it and send it back and on the 3rd day you get your ECU back.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:01 AM
syf0n

Originally posted by MaxHax
Sorry if I offended you in other threads your ok.
thanks
Old 07-02-2003, 10:06 AM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that if there is a way to do it "Hypertech style", it would be more appealing. I have used the hypertech programmers, and while they seem somewhat limited in functions, the concept is great.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:18 AM
12SecZ

This is not to slam anyone, just letting vendors know what their customers really want and would/would NOT purchase.
Amem preach it brother! It's gonna happen.

How about 100 of us contacting Hypertech?

It's been done before.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:42 AM
MATIX

Originally posted by junglist350Z
last I checked Hondas dont need to do this either. Check out the Hondata. VW's dont normally need to do this either, they either add a chip or just get a whole new ECU and trade in their old one. Sending an ECU out and having it flashed and then sent back is such a pain in the *** unless the turn around time was like 3 days total. 1 day you send it out, 1 day for them to do it and send it back and on the 3rd day you get your ECU back.
You cant simply trade in your ecu or get a whole new one with the Z because your key wont work with any ohter ecu, the key is specific to each ecu.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:44 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Toyota Supra,
MR2,
Maxima,
Evo8
Evo7
Silvia
WRX,
350z
G35Coupe
Trueno
RX7
Miata
MX6
NSX
3000GT
Sentra
300ZX
Celica
Corolla
Integra
Civic
Prelude
Del Sol
Accord
GS300
SC400
SC300

hmm.. i think i missed a few..

Originally posted by DMONTE
Went through most of your Threads and technosquares web site.

What other previous car's ECU's has technosquare successfully rework the programming on?

DMonte
Old 07-02-2003, 11:51 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

turn around SHOULD be 3 days depending on what shipping method you choose.

listen guys.. i'm not going to say much more on it.. its buyer's market.

just do your own research, make your own decisions. everyone can not be pleased all the time, even if a mod was free, i'm sure there will be someone knocking it on how it would affect warranty and blah blah blah... YOUR CAR! you buy what you want. i just try to help community have more choices because i'm in a position in where i can help out and get it done right the first time.

i can assure you, our beta testers are well pleased, you will be pleased (those who actually dont mind getting this ecu)

i'm quite sure Hypertech is bad ***... those chevy/ford guys are lucky.

as far as G35 news goes... they're pretty much done.. everything will go all at once.

--Cheston