Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

HKS DLI II twin power install prolblem

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 01:01 AM
SILKZ03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help!! installing HKS DLI II twin power (car still wont start)

Got a problem. My car is at the tuner. they installed the HKS DLI II but the car won't start now. They unplugged it then the car started right up. Tomorrow they gonna put it on another Z to see if the unit is defective and if that Z doesn't start then its the unit or they inproperly installed it. Has anybody had this problem? I was told it hapens a lot and its a grounding issue. HKS is closed on weekends so I can't consult tech support until monday. Any suggestions?

Last edited by SILKZ03; 06-03-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-31-2008, 05:00 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by SILKZ03
Got a problem. My car is at the tuner. they installed the HKS DLI II but the car won't start now. They unplugged it then the car started right up. Tomorrow they gonna put it on another Z to see if the unit is defective and if that Z doesn't start then its the unit or they inproperly installed it. Has anybody had this problem? I was told it hapens a lot and its a grounding issue. HKS is closed on weekends so I can't consult tech support until monday. Any suggestions?
Take it to a tuner who knows what he is doing j/k....Seriously, it plugs right it, how could they mess that up??Did they ground it properly??
Old 05-31-2008, 06:12 AM
SILKZ03

That is problably the problem they didnt ground it properly
Old 05-31-2008, 06:45 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is problably the problem they didnt ground it properly
That is def the likely cause as when i put mine on years ago i didnt have a real clean ground.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:56 AM
BlackStevo8
Banned

run it right to the negative terminal on the battery if you cant find a clean ground
Old 05-31-2008, 10:40 AM
SILKZ03

thanks we'll try that. As soon as the tuner opens the shop ill let them know, I'm sure they are not aware of the grounding issue and just plugged the DLI in then saw the car wouldn't start. Thanks for the advice!
Old 05-31-2008, 10:42 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

thanks we'll try that. As soon as the tuner opens the shop ill let them know, I'm sure they are not aware of the grounding issue and just plugged the DLI in then saw the car wouldn't start. Thanks for the advice!
So the tuners didn notice the big black pigtail comming from the harness with the ground terminal on it?
Old 05-31-2008, 11:11 AM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by Julian@MRC
So the tuners didn notice the big black pigtail comming from the harness with the ground terminal on it?
Bro, I don't know. All I know is, I went to check my car last night since it just went for the install of the DLI, new plugs and retune. As of right now Im sitting at 381whp and its an automatic non built engine. Usually they do the tune until late afternoon. When I got there they said my car woudn't start so they unplugged it and it started. Since they were backed up, they put another car on the dyno and would try mine again today. I'm not covering for them but installing it at night and a rush job might have been a factor???? dunno...anyways. I hope this is just a clean ground problem so I can get my car today. Thanks guys for all the help, I feel alot better knowing it could me just a small problem as to why the car woudn't start with a $500.00 product that is supposed to help not hurt.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:25 AM
deisel

my box was bad after 2 months car just died on road unplugged it and it worked and car worked properly. i sent the box in and they fixed it and sent back to me for no cost.HKS seems 2 be fair about warranty items.so its possible that it could be the box or the harness.
Old 05-31-2008, 11:37 AM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by deisel
my box was bad after 2 months car just died on road unplugged it and it worked and car worked properly. i sent the box in and they fixed it and sent back to me for no cost.HKS seems 2 be fair about warranty items.so its possible that it could be the box or the harness.
Oh....dayum. Just when I was feeling better. Thanks for the heads-up. Guess we'll see. Just gotta make sure its a clean ground. Already talked to the vendor about sending it back to HKS on warranty....just in case.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:24 PM
SILKZ03

I was told by HKS the DLI II may not work on a non stock ECU. I have the emanage ultimate. I was told that some guys with the UTEC had to rewire the ECU in order for it to work with the DLI II. Has anybody had any prolblems installing and getting unit to work with your piggyback system. Seems a piece a crap if it will only work with a stock ECU, what's the point if you cant use it on a FI engine
Old 06-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a UTEC and DLI and it works just fine - there is no reason it shouldn't

If the red light on the DLI is on, that's an almost sure fire way to know the DLI is working. If it's not on, then you should send it back to HKS and contact your vendor immediately.

Out of all the DLI's (including the original version, and the newer one that came out a couple years ago) we've ever sold for a variety of cars since it was introduced, I've only ever have 1 go bad (Evo)

there are TONS of people who have DLI's on FI motors, and very few are running off just a stock ecu
Old 06-03-2008, 07:17 AM
SILKZ03

Default Need help!!! installing DLI II twin Power amp... wtf?

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
I have a UTEC and DLI and it works just fine - there is no reason it shouldn't

If the red light on the DLI is on, that's an almost sure fire way to know the DLI is working. If it's not on, then you should send it back to HKS and contact your vendor immediately.

Out of all the DLI's (including the original version, and the newer one that came out a couple years ago) we've ever sold for a variety of cars since it was introduced, I've only ever have 1 go bad (Evo)

there are TONS of people who have DLI's on FI motors, and very few are running off just a stock ecu

The tuner put the unit it on my friends 2005 with the utec, the car ran perfect.They started it right up but in mine (ultimate emanage) it won't start and red light is on?????? I called HKS the said it may not work with emanage systems...wtf? They even said Zs with utec had problems but his started no problem. I called greddy they said they haven't heard any issues with the unit being used with their system could it be the year of my Z? 03 vs 05? I'm f_-+king pissed right now HKS should have a warning or something stating the unit may not work with piggybacks or standalones!!!! I really don't understand why it won't work on my Z? when it starts on another! only difference is his is an 05 with Utec (turbo), mine is an 03 with utlimate emanage (supercharged)...need help please!!!! dont know what to do?? they even ran the ground straight to the negative post in my car...still wont start but will in his...wtf??? did I pay almost 500.00 for a paper wieght? somebody help!

Last edited by SILKZ03; 06-03-2008 at 07:22 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:26 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why don't you just contact your vendor, and make arrangements to send it back for inspection, rather than just guessing?
Old 06-03-2008, 07:58 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

...i dont even know why he got it in the first place
Old 06-03-2008, 01:53 PM
punish_her

The tuner put the unit it on my friends 2005 with the utec, the car ran perfect.

Um correction a 2004, so it should be the same ECU as yours man.

hmmm I sent you a PM, get back to me. I leave tomorrow for a week.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:18 PM
SILKZ03

Originally Posted by punish_her
Um correction a 2004, so it should be the same ECU as yours man.

hmmm I sent you a PM, get back to me. I leave tomorrow for a week.
Sorry bro sonics said it as an 05. Anyways yeah we do have the same stock ECU but they said u runnin UTEC now which explains why yours is running and mine not. I called HKS again and they said it wouldn't work with the emanage ultimate. Called greddy and they said the ultimates signals are blocking its function and best not to use it. Guess that's why yours started and mine still doesn't. Told sonics not f with it anymore might fry something even if they get it to work don't want to take that chance. I did pm you bac with a price but I only saw one pm from you though

Last edited by SILKZ03; 06-03-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 12:25 PM
ADMAN

Received 101 Likes on 67 Posts

So, you looking to sell that unit then???

I'll gladly take it off your hands...