Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

jwt flywheel and clutch install problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2008, 07:30 AM
kramykram

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jwt flywheel and clutch install problems.

Ok so this is my 3rd z tranny pull to replace the stock clutch and flywheel with aftermarket. But have done numerous changes on mustangs camero's and others. So I have plenty of experience. Now the change went smooth no problems, the flywheel was setup in the back for only the 350z hole in it for the crank alignment. Everything went together smooth. I installed the the needle bearing in the crank. Clutch disk and pressure plate smooth as butter. Tranny install easy as can be. Everything is perfect. Bolt everything up, wires plugged in. Now this is the 3rd time I have did this. I had to make a new rod that goes from the slave cylinder, to the clutch arm. No biggie it worked fine on my car and my boys. Well I made it put it in and finally had some clutch pedal. Well now first time the car is making a really loud noise when pushing in the clutch pedal like a metal to metal noise. It starts up really quite the rolls into getting loud when the pedal is pushed in. So the next night we pulled the tranny, to check everything. Everything is perfect. Still no clue. Well we had 3 differnt bearings. 2 from jwt and the stock. upon comparision the bearings are differnt sizes. So purchased stock bearing thinking the bearing might be the problem. So pull it apart again last night. Change the bearing, while checking everything out. Everything once again is perfect. start the car and push the clutch in the damn noise is still there. Ahh and the car will not stay running sometimes after starting, like there is a binding going on. But if you rev it at start its ok.

I have searched and found a few other people with this problem but never a solution to this. Anyone who is able to help me out please do. i can the hole job in almost 2 hours now so pulling it is not a problem. but finding this noise is.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:38 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

One of my friend installed JWT combo, it did sound like what you said. People said JWT combo makes crazy noise we thought that it's normal , he ended up replaced back to stock cluch/flywheels.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:59 AM
kramykram

thats what im debating on, i myself run a clutchmasters with a clutchnet.net stage2 disk and jwt pressure plate. my homeboys i put in a nismo flywheel, with the same clutch disk and stock pressure plate. and now this one. im really debating on putting the stock back in or a nismo. its just really annoying.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:27 PM
THE_SCHROED

Has anyone else had this problem??? I'm worried about mine Mark.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:32 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm, that sounds weird. When i did mine, i never had that symptom. Did you change out the pilot bushing?
Old 06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
kramykram

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
hmm, that sounds weird. When i did mine, i never had that symptom. Did you change out the pilot bushing?

yes i put the needle bearing in. but if it was a pilot bushing problem it would do it all the time not just when the clutch is pushed in. due to the fact it is always spinning inside from the motor. beleive me everything i can think of has been looked at.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 AM
THE_SCHROED

Should I just put my clutch in and a different flywheel.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:39 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Bump for update.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:45 PM
kramykram

I have received a pm from someone who said he went thru this setup 3 times with the same noise each time. so idk what is going on. might just put the stock back in and see what else can be done. i have another jwt to install and now im worried it might do the same thing.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:53 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Ic, hope everything work out ok with you
Old 06-08-2008, 07:04 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you might want to measure the sleeve you are using for the throw out bearing and make sure its the right length. There is no reason you should have to be making new slave rods...that right there tells you something is off somewhere in the equation IMHO
Old 06-08-2008, 07:28 AM
kramykram

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
you might want to measure the sleeve you are using for the throw out bearing and make sure its the right length. There is no reason you should have to be making new slave rods...that right there tells you something is off somewhere in the equation IMHO

i put the stock rod back in, even with the pedal adjusted all the way out from the firewall, it still did not give enough room for the pedal to do anygood. the rod i made is not that much longer. but either way it still makes the noise. i have adjusted and adjusted to the point where the car will not go into gear. i still get the noise. but as i have seen other people who have some how used the stock rod, still had the noise also.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:09 PM
kramykram

found out the problem. i will wait and see if anyone else questions what it might be. but will be happy to have it fixed.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cool - what did it turn out to be?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1
Old 06-09-2008, 04:26 PM
bimmertech

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
cool - what did it turn out to be?
subpar install would be my guess.

i would say that since you had to "lengthen" the slave push rod(wtf) you prolly took out the pivot ball or somethin and forgot to put it back in. that or your t/o bearing was installed backwards.

but if it was a pilot bushing problem it would do it all the time not just when the clutch(pedal) is pushed in(clutch disengaged).
btw the pilot bushing will not make noise with the clutch engaged as the input shaft and flywheel are mechanically locked via the clutch.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:44 PM
kramykram

Originally Posted by bimmertech
subpar install would be my guess.

i would say that since you had to "lengthen" the slave push rod(wtf) you prolly took out the pivot ball or somethin and forgot to put it back in. that or your t/o bearing was installed backwards.

btw the pilot bushing will not make noise with the clutch engaged as the input shaft and flywheel are mechanically locked via the clutch.

subpart install idts. you cannot install the to bearing on backwards. actually it was something a shop did it had nothing to do with me. i did not remove the pivot ball i just rounded the ends off.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Clutch installs are as a rule, so simple. I have done 100s, from Cat D-9s to F -350 Diesels to Zs and Harleys.

It HAS to work if done right. There are tricks and precautions we make. But when I'm done, I KNOW it will work. It Has too. If it doesn't, there is a bust somewhere.

Splines have to be smooth and clean, Fork has to be "Square" Thowout needs to be smooth and sliding well, Hydraulics have to be up to par.

I has to work if all is in order
Old 06-10-2008, 11:01 AM
kramykram

Originally Posted by Eazzy
Clutch installs are as a rule, so simple. I have done 100s, from Cat D-9s to F -350 Diesels to Zs and Harleys.

It HAS to work if done right. There are tricks and precautions we make. But when I'm done, I KNOW it will work. It Has too. If it doesn't, there is a bust somewhere.

Splines have to be smooth and clean, Fork has to be "Square" Thowout needs to be smooth and sliding well, Hydraulics have to be up to par.

I has to work if all is in order

the problem was not in my work but it someone else. which i don't even think he knows or realizes what he did was causing the problems. but all is good.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:06 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

so what was it??

- J

Quick Reply: jwt flywheel and clutch install problems.